SPL

Hearts manager Levein 'feeling a lot better' after health scare

By Sports Desk September 13, 2018

Hearts manager Craig Levein says he is recovering well from a health scare but might not be ready to return to the dugout. 

Levein was taken to hospital last month but has returned to work ahead of Saturday's Scottish Premiership meeting with Motherwell.

The 53-year-old will make a late call about whether he attends the game at Fir Park.

"I know I have to speak a bit about it, but I don't want to go into too much detail other than to say I'm feeling a hell of a lot better," the former Scotland manager said.

"I'm getting stronger every day. I haven't 100 per cent made my mind up about being in the dugout or not."

Although Levein did not provide information about his illness, he thanked staff at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary coronary care unit at Friday's news conference.

He also admitted he has been suffering from a cold recently, which has left him feeling fatigued.

"For me, it's simply about having energy in case I need to fight with [Motherwell manager] Stephen [Robinson]!" Levein joked.

"I have a bit of a cold and I'm a wee bit lacking in energy, but I will make that decision tomorrow [Friday]. If I'm not in the dugout on Saturday, I definitely will be the following game."

Hearts are three points clear of champions Celtic at the top of the table after winning their first four games of the season.

Related items

  • If we find something for one position – Klopp relaxed over Liverpool transfer activity If we find something for one position – Klopp relaxed over Liverpool transfer activity

    Jurgen Klopp remains "relaxed" about Liverpool's transfer activity and while he is looking at strengthening one position, he reiterated the European champions would be relatively quiet during the window.

    Liverpool have signed 17-year-old defender Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle this close season, while the likes of Daniel Sturridge and Alberto Moreno have left.

    The Champions League winners have been linked with moves for numerous players, including former playmaker Philippe Coutinho – now at Barcelona – and Lille forward Nicolas Pepe.

    Klopp, whose team are in the United States for pre-season friendlies, is remaining calm about Liverpool's movements in the market.

    "We are pretty relaxed in that, we will see what's coming up," he told the club's website.

    "How I said, it will not be the biggest transfer window of LFC. We invested a lot in the team in the last two years, I would say. We cannot spend every year in the same manner.

    "People talk about it like, 'Now another £300million or £200m'. There are maybe only two clubs in the world – it looks in the moment like Barcelona and [Real] Madrid can do the same – [Manchester] City and PSG that can do it every year.

    "But we are fine. I'm happy with the team, we are really happy. We have to see if we find maybe one position, if we find something for it, but there's no real pressure because it's not about signing a player. We have solutions for all the situations.

    "Do we have exactly the solution that everybody from outside would be 100 per cent happy? I don't think so because people want to have world class here, world class here and the guy on the bench has to be world class as well. That's not so easy. But we are of course working on it."

    Marko Grujic will remain on loan at Hertha Berlin, while Sheyi Ojo will spend 2019-20 with Rangers.

    But Klopp has no concerns about his squad at Liverpool, who finished a point behind champions Manchester City in the Premier League last season.

    "On the outgoing side, we are relaxed. The young boys are here and enjoyed working with us a lot," he said.

    "Not to forget Naby [Keita] and Shaq [Xherdan Shaqiri] are injured still and are not here with us. Players will come back.

    "I'm really looking forward to the season, it will be really exciting again."

    Liverpool face Borussia Dortmund in a friendly on Friday.

  • There's not another Zlatan – Ibrahimovic jokes about #StormArea51 There's not another Zlatan – Ibrahimovic jokes about #StormArea51

    Can those planning to storm Area 51 expect to see another Zlatan Ibrahimovic? No.

    Almost two million people have RSVP'd to a Facebook event to "Storm Area 51" – a classified US Air Force training base in Nevada which conspiracy theorists believe harbours information about extraterrestrial life.

    A disclaimer in the Facebook event claims it is all a joke, but it has not stopped #StormArea51 from taking the internet by storm.

    When LA Galaxy superstar Ibrahimovic fronted the media on Wednesday, he was asked what might be in Area 51.

    "Not another Zlatan. That's for sure," Ibrahimovic joked with reporters.

    Asked if they would let Ibrahimovic into Area 51, former Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona striker Ibrahimovic replied: "I have my own area 51."

    Ibrahimovic has enjoyed another fine season in MLS, with 13 goals for the Galaxy.

    The 37-year-old's goals have helped the Galaxy to third position in the Western Conference, 12 points adrift of leaders Los Angeles FC after 20 games.

  • Perin in no doubt over Benfica switch from Juventus Perin in no doubt over Benfica switch from Juventus

    Mattia Perin insists there are no hard feelings over his impending Juventus exit as he closes in on a move to Benfica.

    The goalkeeper, 26, is set to join the Portuguese champions subject to a medical – just a year after signing for Juve from Genoa.

    Gianluigi Buffon's surprise return to the Italian champions a year on from his move to Paris Saint-Germain mean chances are likely to be limited at the Allianz Stadium for Perin, who was understudy to Wojciech Szczesny last season.

    A fee of around €15million has reportedly been agreed between the sides, with promising Benfica full-back Joao Ferreira poised to head in the opposite direction to the Bianconeri, who are set to seal the capture of defender Matthijs de Ligt.

    Perin says he is in no doubt over the move and has always hoped to be able to experience playing abroad.

    "I'm happy, I'm going to Benfica to play for the champions," he said. "It's an exciting adventure. I want to show my value and put into practice everything I learned even during the last season at Juventus."

    He added: "In Turin I found a group of exemplary players both outside and inside the field and I learned so much because they are all champions. For this I thank the company because it taught me a lot." 

    Perin, who has been sidelined since shoulder surgery in April, also admitted he needs regular first-team football if he is to force his way back into the Italy squad ahead of Euro 2020.

    "I'm recovering from the injury and I will return to the field between mid-September and early October," added Perin, who has been capped twice by his country at senior level. 

    "I want to return to play with the aim of winning a jersey for next year's European Championship."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.