Jensen named temporary Hareide replacement as unknown Denmark players travel to Slovakia

By Sports Desk September 04, 2018

Denmark have named John Jensen temporary first-team coach for Wednesday's friendly with Slovakia, as an unspecified squad of players heads to Bratislava.

Plans for Denmark's games with Slovakia and the UEFA Nations League clash with Wales have been thrown into disarray by a dispute between the Danish Football Association (DBU) and the senior players.

A row over commercial rights has led to concerns the squad will boycott the coming matches, meaning the DBU could risk a substantial UEFA fine and suspension from tournaments if the games are forfeited.

With head coach Age Hareide also involved in the dispute, Denmark have decided to place former midfielder Jensen in charge of the team for Wednesday's game, which could reportedly include uncapped players from lower leagues or even futsal professionals.

"We must hold the two international matches to avoid fines of millions and the possible exclusion of the national team for several years," said DBU's team manager Kim Hallberg. 

"On behalf of the DBU and Danish football, I am pleased John Jensen has taken on the hard task of being coach for both matches."

Former Arsenal man Jensen added: "When I say yes to help here, it's because I feel very strongly for the national team as an institution, and because I think the most important thing must be that the games will be played.

"I just hope to get us through the two matches and that the parties find a solution as soon as possible."

Earlier on Tuesday, Christian Eriksen called for a truce between the DBU and the Spillerforeningen, the Danish footballers' union, so Denmark could play the Slovakia and Wales matches at full strength and avoid serious repercussions.

Last year, the women's team boycotted a World Cup qualifier with Sweden over a pay dispute. The DBU was fined and warned Denmark could be excluded from any UEFA tournament if another match was cancelled in the next four years.

DBU communications manager Jakob Hoyer insisted this week the organisation did not want to discuss a new deal on the eve of matches and be forced into an unsatisfactory agreement.

"We do not want to negotiate so close to international matches," he said. "That was what happened in 2015 and led to a historically poor national team agreement that has created so many problems."

Related items

  • Neymar is happy in Brazil squad – Tite Neymar is happy in Brazil squad – Tite

    Tite insisted Neymar is happy playing for Brazil amid uncertainty at club level for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    Neymar was booed by PSG fans during his first appearance of the season for the Ligue 1 giants last week, but the forward scored a late winner against Strasbourg.

    The 27-year-old had already played for Brazil after a transfer saga during which he was expected to join Barcelona, and Tite said the star was happy with the national team.

    "Neymar is happy. Neymar is happy in the Brazil national squad," Tite told a news conference on Friday.

    "And I'm talking about the national squad and to all the people who are near us and know how our daily routine is like here. Because this is a theme of conversation among us. He is happy here.

    "We can't control other situations … what I can say is that, yes, he is happy and showed this during the matches more than any other thing."

    Neymar was named in Brazil's squad for friendlies against Senegal and Nigeria in Singapore next month.

    Asked about the quality of the opposition, Tite said it was difficult to organise matches against top nations, revealing a proposed meeting with Germany never eventuated.

    "That's a calendar issue. We just can't change it. We get in touch with all the best national squads. And, when we can't play against them, it's because we've tried but they didn't want to play against us," he said.

    "Can I give Germany [as an] example? Germany proposed us a date. We said yes. Then they proposed another day. We said yes again. Then they informed us that they didn't want to play anymore. I'm giving you information."

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: Alun Wyn Jones to equal Wales record against Georgia Rugby World Cup 2019: Alun Wyn Jones to equal Wales record against Georgia

    Alun Wyn Jones will make history after the captain was named to start Wales' Rugby World Cup opener against Georgia on Monday.

    Jones will equal the record for most Test appearances for Wales when he plays his 129th game for his nation in Toyota.

    The 34-year-old joins Gethin Jenkins on that tally as Wales prepare for their opener in Pool D.

    Wales have named a strong side, with 10 of their starting team holding previous experience at the Rugby World Cup.

    Fly-half Rhys Patchell, who was under an injury cloud, has been named among the replacements.

    Wales are expected to progress from Pool D, with matches against Australia, Fiji and Uruguay to follow their clash against Georgia.

    Wales: Liam Williams, George North, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams, Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones, Aaron Wainwright, Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi.
    Replacements: Elliot Dee, Nicky Smith, Dillon Lewis, Aaron Shingler, Ross Moriarty, Tomos Williams, Rhys Patchell, Leigh Halfpenny.

  • Leon Bailey set to miss Reggae Boyz’ Nations League outing Leon Bailey set to miss Reggae Boyz’ Nations League outing

    Reggae Boy Leon Bailey will not play for the country when it takes on a pair of games against Aruba in October.

    The Reggae Boyz begin their CONCACAF Nations League tie against Aruba at the National Stadium in Kingston on October 12 but then move on to Curacao for the away leg two days later.

    Bailey’s unavailability was confirmed when scans showed a muscular tear following Bayer Leverkusen's UEFA Champions League game against Locomotiv Moscow.

    Bailey has proved a little underwhelming, since coming into the Reggae Boyz line up for, first the Gold Cup, and now the CNL, but managed to score his first goal for the outfit earlier this month as the side crushed Antigua & Barbuda 6-0.

    Bailey will be absent for about a month and won’t be available until November 15 and 18 when the Reggae Boyz take on Antigua & Barbuda and Guyana.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.