issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Sinclair rises from bench to deliver Presentation’s first Intercol title in 44 years

By December 05, 2019
Players from Presentation College celebrate winning the Coca-Cola Intercol title at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva. Players from Presentation College celebrate winning the Coca-Cola Intercol title at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

Presentation College are Coca-Cola Intercol champions for the first time in the history of the Secondary Schools Football Association Premier Division era after a 2-1 victory over San Juan North Secondary at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva on Wednesday.

The eventual champions had to come from behind after San Juan opened the scoring as early as the second minute through Isaiah Chase. That lead would last until the 19th minute when Jaiye Sheppard notched a 19th -minute goal to even the scores.

The game seemed destined to remain 1-1 until at least extra time but Jardel Sinclair’s 90 +3-minutes stab home made sure the Lions would end the day as champions.

Presentation College’s Lions were the smoother team throughout but they did not strike first as San Juan’s Chase drove into the box from and struck a good drive from the right side that beat custodian Isaiah Williams all ends up and must have dented the confidence of the eventual champions.

That confidence was dented especially because it was San Juan who beat the Lions in 2016 courtesy of one goal.

But if they were to have nerves from that 2016 defeat, the Lions didn’t show it and proceeded to play the San Juan side off the park and when they struck in the 19th minute, there was no surprise.

The goal itself was beautiful, going from goalkeeper to striker in a swift but exquisite counter.

Williams bowled the ball out to his midfield where Sheppard and Ackeal Jacob combined for some slick one-two passing before the latter played through the former to guide his effort home and restore parity.

While Presentation continued to look the more likely to break the deadlock, it was not until the game was almost over and coach Shawn Cooper made some adjustments that there was any change.

According to Cooper, the decision to put Sheppard on the left side, Nkosi Charles on the right and Sinclair at striker caught San Juan off guard.

In fact, it was Charles’ cross that led to Sinclair’s stabbed home effort.

“We are feeling elated. We worked hard to be here, and in fact, nobody expected us to be here,” said Cooper after the game.

According to the coach, the early goal from San Juan made a game of the affair, as it forced his Lions to have to come out.

Cooper said his team was really happy about winning the Intercol because of the historic nature of the title for the school.

“Last year we missed out on the Premier Division, this year we missed out on the Premier Division. But I’ll take the National Intercol every time because this is one title that has eluded Presentation since I have been here. We won the Premier Division and the Big Five and now we have the Intercol. Now I think the trophy cabinet is full,” he said.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Marega hits out at Vitoria fans and referee after suffering alleged racist abuse Marega hits out at Vitoria fans and referee after suffering alleged racist abuse

    Porto striker Moussa Marega walked off after suffering alleged racist abuse at Vitoria Guimaraes and he hit out at their fans and the match officials.

    Marega celebrated his 60th-minute goal, which put Porto 2-1 up at Estadio D. Afonso Henriques on Sunday, by pointing to his skin and was subsequently booked by referee Luis Godinho.

    Objects were thrown in the direction of the Mali international, who made the decision to leave the pitch 10 minutes later.

    Marega's team-mates tried to encourage him to stay on, but he was eventually helped down the tunnel and displayed his middle fingers to the supporters.

    After the match, he posted on Instagram: "I would just like say to these idiots who come to the stadium to make racist chants … go f*** yourselves.

    "And I also thank the referees for not defending me and for giving me a yellow card because I defend my skin colour.

    "I hope I never meet you on a football pitch again! YOU ARE A DISGRACE!!!"

    Porto coach Sergio Conceicao said former Vitoria player Marega had been targeted from the warm-up and the club were "indignant" with what occurred.

    Vitoria president Miguel Pinto Lisboa condemned the alleged abuse but suggested the 28-year-old did not help himself with his actions.

    "At Vitoria we have players of all colours, races and creeds. We promote gender and race quality in sport and do not engage in behaviours that may harm that," he said.

    "If any Vitoria supporter behaved this way we will take appropriate action, but it seems to me there were also provocative actions intended to stoke the fire.

    "The player's attitude was visible on the television cameras."

    Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) president Fernando Gomes said in a statement: "Racist behaviour is intolerable in an open and evolved society.

    "The perpetrators of racist insults must be identified and brought to justice. The Portuguese Football Federation repudiates racist behaviour, wherever it comes from and wherever it occurs.

    "On Sunday, Moussa Marega was the target of racist insults that cannot fail to be severely punished, in a serious and condemnable incident.

    "The Portuguese Football Federation expresses its solidarity with Moussa Marega. As the FPF president I assure you I will continue to do everything so that fans who do not respect football are definitively outside the stadium. This is an urgent fight for the whole society."

  • Courtois: Returning Hazard 'worth a lot' to Madrid Courtois: Returning Hazard 'worth a lot' to Madrid

    Eden Hazard made his return from a three-month injury lay-off in Real Madrid's 2-2 draw against Celta Vigo, with Thibaut Courtois confident the forward will be key for Zinedine Zidane's side.

    An ankle injury sidelined Hazard in late November, but he made his comeback on Sunday, winning a penalty that Sergio Ramos converted to put Madrid 2-1 up in the second half.

    Madrid's run of five straight LaLiga wins was ended by Santi Mina's 85th-minute leveller, though, to ensure they only moved one point clear of Clasico rivals Barcelona at the top of the table.

    However, the return of Hazard, who has scored just once in nine league games since joining from Chelsea ahead of this season, was seen as an encouraging development for his compatriot Courtois.

    "Little by little he will catch up again after three months," Courtois, who also played alongside Hazard at Stamford Bridge, told Movistar.

    "He is a player that is worth a lot to us."

    Madrid surprisingly fell behind against Celta after Fedor Smolov scored his first goal for the club in the seventh minute.

    The home side failed to muster a shot on target across the opening 45 minutes, but Toni Kroos' sixth goal against Celta – he only has 14 overall in LaLiga - levelled matters and Hazard then won a penalty that Ramos scored.

    Yet more poor defending allowed substitute Denis Suarez to find fellow replacement Mina as Celta dramatically claimed a share of the spoils.

    Asked about his emotions, Courtois replied: "Angry because we conceded a [second] goal.

    "It was a difficult game because they started by scoring a goal early on. They defended well with 11 men and then I made a good save to keep the score at 0-1.

    "Then in the second half, we scored two fast goals but in the end we've lost two points that are worth a lot at home.

    "We defended well but Denis made a good turn and made space for Santi Mina, who put the ball away well.

    "It's two points lost and that leaves a bad taste in the mouth."

  • Lazio match-winner Milinkovic-Savic: Why not target Scudetto? Lazio match-winner Milinkovic-Savic: Why not target Scudetto?

    Sergej Milinkovic-Savic sees no reason why Lazio should not battle Juventus and Inter for Scudetto honours after moving within a point of top spot in Serie A.

    Milinkovic-Savic scored the match-winning goal as in-form Lazio rallied past title hopefuls Inter 2-1 at the Stadio Olimpico on Sunday.

    Ashley Young's first Inter goal was cancelled out by a Ciro Immobile penalty before Milinkovic-Savic's neat finish with 21 minutes remaining settled an absorbing contest in Rome.

    Lazio leapfrogged Inter into second position behind eight-time defending champions Juventus as the Biancocelesti extended their unbeaten run in Serie A to a club-record 19 games – dating back to September.

    "I scored, but the whole team got this victory. It's true what we said a few days ago, we are a family and we want to continue like this," Milinkovic-Savic told Sky Sport Italia.

    "Inter didn't play a great first half and we created more chances, but they scored. So we went into the dressing room, said this has to be our game and we came back out with the same attitude, as if it was 0-0.

    "What we feel obliged to achieve is a Champions League place, but if we are up there towards the end, then why not go for the Scudetto?

    "Inter won't give up because we won tonight, we won't give up no matter what happens in future, then we'll just see how things pan out."

    Lazio – Coppa Italia winners last season – have not won the Scudetto since Sven-Goran Eriksson led the capital club to glory in 2000.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.