issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Does boxing need new rules to further protect fighters?

By July 25, 2019
Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Wilder blaming ring-walk costume for Fury defeat a 'poor excuse' Wilder blaming ring-walk costume for Fury defeat a 'poor excuse'

    Deontay Wilder's claim that his extravagant ring-walk costume was in part to blame for his defeat to Tyson Fury has been labelled a "poor excuse" by the Briton's promoter Frank Warren.

    The previously unbeaten Wilder donned an outfit weighing over 40lbs in tribute to Black History Month prior to his Las Vegas rematch with Fury.

    Wilder relinquished his WBC heavyweight title to Fury, who produced a masterclass en route to a sensational seventh-round TKO when his opponent's corner threw in the towel.

    After the fight, Wilder did not partake in the post-match news conference as he was taken to hospital but the 34-year-old apportioned his off-key performance to the heavy attire.

    "A lot of people saw I wasn't the same Deontay Wilder in there and they're correct," Wilder told The Athletic. 

    "It's my own fault. My uniform I wore was very heavy for me. I had no legs from the first round on.

    "My main focus was to survive with my legs, and not on the principles I know and normally think of. I couldn't follow up with the game plan because of my legs. I couldn't do anything.

    "I didn't expect it to be that heavy and have that effect on me. That's the thing we didn't test out: walking to the ring. We didn't time it right. It's all my fault. It's a learning process. 

    "I really admire Black History Month, and I wanted to pay tribute to all the men and women who came before me, and I risked that over my title. They died for me, they paved the way for me."

    Warren questioned the validity of Wilder's claim, though, and said Fury was simply the better man on the night.

    "It's a new one on me but all that gear he had on did make me scratch my head," Warren told talkSPORT.

    "But that was his choice and I'm sure when he tried it on they didn't just give it to him on the night, he must have worn it and tried it on, it was made by somebody, so he knew what the weight was. 

    "He got beaten by the better man on the night. It's a poor excuse, the best man won on the night, Tyson was the best man.

    "And Tyson was in his country! It wasn't like it was over here. Tyson didn't complain about the referee, I thought the referee helped him [Wilder] at times. 

    "He had everything going for him Deontay Wilder and got beat by a superb Tyson Fury on the night and that's the end of it."

    The decision to throw in the towel was not taken by Wilder's head trainer Jay Deas, but rather assistant Mark Breland.

    While Breland's actions have largely earned praise considering Wilder, who was already bleeding form the eardrum, was being pummelled on the ropes, it was a call questioned by the fighter and his team.

    Wilder, while saying he understands why the towel was thrown in, will now consider whether Breland remains part of his corner.

    "I understand – it's an emotional decision – but that's not his position," Wilder added. "I'm not being emotional now. For many, many years, I have talked about this to my team.

    "They know my demeanour, my warrior mindset and if I say I'm going in there to try to kill a man like I have, I accept that in return he will have to kill me as well. I've told them many times that if anyone throws the towel in on me, there will be consequences.

    "We love Mark to death and he'll always be part of the team. I understand they don't want me to get hurt, but I was in more danger when I got buzzed against [Luis] Ortiz [in my first fight] than I was in this one.

    "Jay told him not to. Jay is the first. Mark did it anyway."

  • Canelo to decide over Saunders or Smith fight on Tuesday, says Hearn Canelo to decide over Saunders or Smith fight on Tuesday, says Hearn

    Eddie Hearn expects four-weight world champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez to make a decision on Tuesday over whether his next opponent will be Billy Joe Saunders or Callum Smith.

    Promoter Hearn this month revealed that super-middleweights Smith, the WBA's super champion, and WBO title-holder Saunders are awaiting improved offers to fight the Mexican superstar after rejecting initial terms.

    The British duo are both eager to do battle with Canelo and Hearn says they should not have long to wait before learning if they will step into the ring with the 29-year-old.

    "I believe there's meetings taking place on Tuesday to ultimately determine who is going to get the fight," Hearn told Sky Sports News.

    "Billy Joe is coming out and saying, 'hurry up, tell him he's got until Wednesday'. I said, 'Billy, it doesn't work like that'. Ultimately this is the golden ticket, this fight.

    "Callum Smith is waiting patiently behind closed doors. They both want the fight. They both want a deal that's fair.

    "You saw Oscar De La Hoya come out and say, 'these guys turning down these fights’.

    "You can't offer a WBA and a 'Ring Magazine' champion half of what another world champion got to face him. We're negotiating.

    "I'm very confident that one of those guys will get the Canelo fight and it will be done this week."

  • Tyson Fury's dad tells son: Visit Donald Trump then retire! Tyson Fury's dad tells son: Visit Donald Trump then retire!

    World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury should accept Donald Trump's invitation to the White House then retire from boxing, his dad John has said.

    A seventh-round stoppage of Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas on Saturday ensured Fury won the WBC belt and became a world heavyweight champion for the second time in his career.

    The 31-year-old previously beat Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015 but vacated the IBF, WBA and WBO titles while he fought depression and drug addiction.

    He made his return to the ring in June 2018, shedding more than seven stone in six months, and completed his remarkable turnaround by beating Wilder two and a half years later.

    "I just want my son to retire now," John Fury told Good Morning Britain.

    "He's done enough. It's been an uphill battle for him.

    "I think it's in the back of his mind. He can't do any more. He's won every professional title. Enough is enough. There's more to life now. He's given it his all.

    "He's got no more to prove."

    Fury has previously said he would "seriously think about walking away" once his current three-fight deal expires.

    There are two fights remaining on that contract and one of those would be a third bout against Wilder if the American exercises a rematch clause to fight Fury again.

    Saturday's second fight captured the attention of US President Trump, who suggested to reporters he would invite both men to the White House.

    "That was a great fight," Trump said.

    "Two great fighters, really very exciting. Maybe we have to bring them both to the White House because that was really a good one.

    "In fact, I think we'll do that."

    Some sports stars have swerved invitations to the White House since Trump assumed office yet Fury Senior encouraged his son to go.

    "That's good for a Fury, isn't it," he said of Trump's offer.

    "I'm a big fan of Donald Trump. It's been an amazing journey, look where it's ended.

    "And what a great point to bow out on - a meeting in the White House."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.