issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Lenny Hyde dedicates Olivier Shield win to the late Winston Chung Fa

By December 08, 2018
Clarendon College coach Lenny Hyde Clarendon College coach Lenny Hyde

In 1978, when Lenny Hyde held the Olivier Shield aloft, his coach at Clarendon College was Winston Chung Fa. In 2018, when Clarendon College again raised the shield, Chung Fa, now deceased, was also there.

Clarendon College, through a special goal from substitute, Andre Nicholson, claimed the all-island trophy, symbol of schoolboy supremacy, with a 1-0 win over Kingston College and Hyde, now the coach of the Rural Area team, believes the victory had much to do with Chung Fa.

“ … the 12th man on the team today was Winston Chung Fa,” said Hyde after speaking about the myriad of emotions he felt after the win.

According to Hyde, his charges had promised to win the all-island title, something no Rural Area team has done on its own since 2004, for Chung Fa, who passed away just last month.

“We carried out our mandate. We told him we were going to win it today and we delivered it today,” said an emotional Hyde.

The importance of the title showed in the way Clarendon College played according to Hyde.

Kingston College, the legendary Jamaican footballer, explained, pushed his team back, and the result was a matter of will.

“We couldn’t play the way we wanted to play today but the discipline and the determination that we showed today helped us across the line,” he said.

Hyde was part of a Clarendon College team in 1977 and 1978, that has largely been considered the best schoolboy football team of all time.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • If we find something for one position – Klopp relaxed over Liverpool transfer activity If we find something for one position – Klopp relaxed over Liverpool transfer activity

    Jurgen Klopp remains "relaxed" about Liverpool's transfer activity and while he is looking at strengthening one position, he reiterated the European champions would be relatively quiet during the window.

    Liverpool have signed 17-year-old defender Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle this close season, while the likes of Daniel Sturridge and Alberto Moreno have left.

    The Champions League winners have been linked with moves for numerous players, including former playmaker Philippe Coutinho – now at Barcelona – and Lille forward Nicolas Pepe.

    Klopp, whose team are in the United States for pre-season friendlies, is remaining calm about Liverpool's movements in the market.

    "We are pretty relaxed in that, we will see what's coming up," he told the club's website.

    "How I said, it will not be the biggest transfer window of LFC. We invested a lot in the team in the last two years, I would say. We cannot spend every year in the same manner.

    "People talk about it like, 'Now another £300million or £200m'. There are maybe only two clubs in the world – it looks in the moment like Barcelona and [Real] Madrid can do the same – [Manchester] City and PSG that can do it every year.

    "But we are fine. I'm happy with the team, we are really happy. We have to see if we find maybe one position, if we find something for it, but there's no real pressure because it's not about signing a player. We have solutions for all the situations.

    "Do we have exactly the solution that everybody from outside would be 100 per cent happy? I don't think so because people want to have world class here, world class here and the guy on the bench has to be world class as well. That's not so easy. But we are of course working on it."

    Marko Grujic will remain on loan at Hertha Berlin, while Sheyi Ojo will spend 2019-20 with Rangers.

    But Klopp has no concerns about his squad at Liverpool, who finished a point behind champions Manchester City in the Premier League last season.

    "On the outgoing side, we are relaxed. The young boys are here and enjoyed working with us a lot," he said.

    "Not to forget Naby [Keita] and Shaq [Xherdan Shaqiri] are injured still and are not here with us. Players will come back.

    "I'm really looking forward to the season, it will be really exciting again."

    Liverpool face Borussia Dortmund in a friendly on Friday.

  • There's not another Zlatan – Ibrahimovic jokes about #StormArea51 There's not another Zlatan – Ibrahimovic jokes about #StormArea51

    Can those planning to storm Area 51 expect to see another Zlatan Ibrahimovic? No.

    Almost two million people have RSVP'd to a Facebook event to "Storm Area 51" – a classified US Air Force training base in Nevada which conspiracy theorists believe harbours information about extraterrestrial life.

    A disclaimer in the Facebook event claims it is all a joke, but it has not stopped #StormArea51 from taking the internet by storm.

    When LA Galaxy superstar Ibrahimovic fronted the media on Wednesday, he was asked what might be in Area 51.

    "Not another Zlatan. That's for sure," Ibrahimovic joked with reporters.

    Asked if they would let Ibrahimovic into Area 51, former Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona striker Ibrahimovic replied: "I have my own area 51."

    Ibrahimovic has enjoyed another fine season in MLS, with 13 goals for the Galaxy.

    The 37-year-old's goals have helped the Galaxy to third position in the Western Conference, 12 points adrift of leaders Los Angeles FC after 20 games.

  • Perin in no doubt over Benfica switch from Juventus Perin in no doubt over Benfica switch from Juventus

    Mattia Perin insists there are no hard feelings over his impending Juventus exit as he closes in on a move to Benfica.

    The goalkeeper, 26, is set to join the Portuguese champions subject to a medical – just a year after signing for Juve from Genoa.

    Gianluigi Buffon's surprise return to the Italian champions a year on from his move to Paris Saint-Germain mean chances are likely to be limited at the Allianz Stadium for Perin, who was understudy to Wojciech Szczesny last season.

    A fee of around €15million has reportedly been agreed between the sides, with promising Benfica full-back Joao Ferreira poised to head in the opposite direction to the Bianconeri, who are set to seal the capture of defender Matthijs de Ligt.

    Perin says he is in no doubt over the move and has always hoped to be able to experience playing abroad.

    "I'm happy, I'm going to Benfica to play for the champions," he said. "It's an exciting adventure. I want to show my value and put into practice everything I learned even during the last season at Juventus."

    He added: "In Turin I found a group of exemplary players both outside and inside the field and I learned so much because they are all champions. For this I thank the company because it taught me a lot." 

    Perin, who has been sidelined since shoulder surgery in April, also admitted he needs regular first-team football if he is to force his way back into the Italy squad ahead of Euro 2020.

    "I'm recovering from the injury and I will return to the field between mid-September and early October," added Perin, who has been capped twice by his country at senior level. 

    "I want to return to play with the aim of winning a jersey for next year's European Championship."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.