issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

'Chung-Fah watched over over us' - Clarendon coach Hyde pays tribute to departed legend

By December 02, 2018

daCosta Cup-winning Clarendon College coach Lenworth Hyde has paid tribute to the late great Winston Chung-Fah, the former national coach who was himself a winner with the schoolboy football team.

Chung-Fah, who passed away last month at the age of 78, has been credited with putting together one of the greatest schoolboy football teams of all time.  Chung-Fah’s charges, of which Hyde was apart, claimed both the daCosta Cup and Olivier Shield titles in the 1977 and 1978 seasons.

The current crop is not yet quite of that ilk, but Hyde is confident his former coach would have been proud of their work ethic and attitude.

“I’m proud of how they delivered for me and the school.  It’s an excellent feeling.  Winston Chung-Fah, I know he is watching over us,” Hyde said, following the match.

“Nothing is easy.  I told them were had to get it the hard way and that was a true test character,” he added.

Goals for national striker Nicque Daley (51st) and a late Lamar Walker header gave Clarendon the dramatic win but only after the team’s goalkeeper Tafari Chamber was sent off in the 27th minute.

“They fought gallantly, nothing was given to us on a platter, we had to work for it and we have been working hard all season.  The efforts and the sacrifices that they made showed in the game.”

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • De Gea and Kepa could share Spain starting spot, says Moreno De Gea and Kepa could share Spain starting spot, says Moreno

    David de Gea and Kepa Arrizabalaga could be made to share Spain's number one shirt with neither player guaranteed a starting spot under Robert Moreno.

    Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa has started each of the national team's three matches since former head coach Luis Enrique handed the reins to long-time assistant Moreno in March.

    Manchester United star De Gea previously owned the position, but a poor World Cup and disappointing club campaign last season weakened his claims for a place in the XI.

    Spain return to Euro 2020 qualifying action in September and will do so without a defined first-choice option behind the back four.

    "My goalkeepers are De Gea, Kepa and [Roma's] Pau Lopez," Moreno told radio station Cadena SER.

    "I like that there is competition. Kepa is not ahead of De Gea, and neither is ahead of Pau.

    "I want to get to the Euros with three goalkeepers who are ready to compete. They are all playing at a high level and there are nuances and differences between them. All three have good footwork.

    "At Barca, we won the treble alternating goalkeepers."

    Despite his limited experience as a head coach, Moreno was appointed to Spain's top job on a permanent basis in June after recording three victories as caretaker.

    Luis Enrique was forced to leave the role for family reasons and while little is publicly known about the exact circumstances, Moreno confirmed he has recently been in contact with the former Roma and Barca boss.

    "He wants total privacy. There is little else I can tell you. He's fighting," Moreno said.

    "Our friendship goes beyond the professional field. If at any time I have questions, I have the freedom, as long as the circumstances allow, to ask them.

    "I learned from him how to deal with players. Learn how they think, what they want, what they need.

    "Books do not explain it to you. He put me by his side and taught me all that."

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid

    Neymar continues to dominate the headlines and Barcelona look set to finally get serious in a move for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    The Brazil international, 27, has been linked with a move from PSG, but progress has seemingly been slow amid links to Barca and Real Madrid.

    It appears Juventus are now ready to join the race, too, as Barcelona prepare to submit an offer.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO SUBMIT NEYMAR BID

    Barcelona have decided to submit a formal offer to PSG for Neymar, according to RAC1.

    The cover of Sport reads 'Offer Offical' as Barcelona continue their pursuit of the star they sold to PSG for €222million two years ago.

    They say Barca are hoping to get a deal done and have an option to buy Neymar next season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There may yet be a bit to play out in the Neymar saga. AS report Juventus have opened talks with PSG and are keen to sign the Brazil star, willing to offer Neymar the €37m per year net he currently makes at PSG.

    - Paulo Dybala could be part of a Juventus move for Neymar. Dybala was reportedly close to a Premier League switch earlier this month and is valued at €80m and a target for PSG, according to Sport and the Daily Mail, giving the Ligue 1 champions an ideal replacement for Neymar.

    - Christian Eriksen's Tottenham future remains unclear. However, ESPN FC report the Denmark international is only interested in moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Juventus if he leaves Tottenham.

    - As Barcelona try to find a deal for Neymar, Nelson Semedo has been one of the players mentioned as part of a potential package. However, Marca report the defender does not want to go to PSG and Barca are aware.

    - Roma are still trying to strengthen their defence and Arsenal's Shkodran Mustafi has emerged as a target, according to TuttoMercatoWeb. The Serie A giants would consider an initial loan move for the defender.

    - Franck Ribery could be close to making a decision on his future. According to Fabrizio Romano, the former Bayern Munich star is in advanced talks with Fiorentina.

  • Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho

    Jurgen Klopp revealed Liverpool could not afford to bring Philippe Coutinho back to Anfield as he backed the attacker to shine at Bayern Munich.

    Coutinho's move to the Bundesliga champions was confirmed on Monday, the Brazil international joining on a season-long loan from Barcelona with Bayern holding an option to buy for €120million.

    The 27-year-old had also been linked with a return to Liverpool, where he starred for five seasons before joining Barca.

    Klopp said the European champions could not spend the money required to sign Coutinho, with Bayern paying an €8.5m loan fee and the star's wages.

    "It sounds a bit strange, but we could not afford it," he said at the Sport Bild awards on Monday.

    "We have already spent the money that we got for him."

    Klopp backed Coutinho to shine for Bayern after struggling to have an impact at Barcelona.

    "He's a great player, a great boy," the former Borussia Dortmund coach said.

    "We were reluctant to sell him, but Barcelona forced us with money, so to speak.

    "He is a player who can change games for the positive. It's not that nice for Dortmund, but it's a great transfer for Bayern and the Bundesliga."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.