Cornwall College carrying the weight of rural Jamaica into Champions Cup final

By November 24, 2018
Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Messi rested for Sevilla trip, Boateng set for debut Messi rested for Sevilla trip, Boateng set for debut

    Lionel Messi has been left out of Barcelona's squad for Wednesday's Copa del Rey trip to Sevilla as he is given a rest, but new signing Kevin-Prince Boateng is included.

    Messi was absent from Barca's starting XI for the visit of Leganes in LaLiga on Sunday, coming on as a substitute to spare their blushes – playing a role in Luis Suarez's goal before also scoring himself.

    Coach Ernesto Valverde acknowledged in the lead up to that game that he was likely to take opportunities to rest Messi in the coming weeks ahead of a busy period, which includes the return of the Champions League.

    Sevilla – a team he boasts a fine record against – are the lucky beneficiaries of his time out of the side, as Barca travel to Andalusia for the first leg of their Copa quarter-final.

    However. Boateng is in line to make his first appearance for the club.

    The Germany-born former Ghana international joined Barca in a shock loan deal from Sassuolo on Monday, a move which caught many by surprise.

    The 31-year-old makes his return to Spanish football having previously featured for Las Palmas.

    Young talent Riqui Puig is included in the squad as well, with opponents Sevilla aiming to arrest a run of three successive defeats in all competitions.

  • You say all signings are controversial – Valverde defends Boateng arrival You say all signings are controversial – Valverde defends Boateng arrival

    Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde has defended the arrival of Kevin-Prince Boateng, telling the media they have been critical of "all" signings during his tenure as coach.

    Boateng completed an unlikely loan switch from Sassuolo on Monday, with Barca also having the right to purchase him for €8million during his stay.

    The signing raised eyebrows throughout world football, with many surprised by Barca opting to sign the journeyman midfielder, whose three most recent clubs were Sassuolo, Eintracht Frankfurt and Las Palmas.

    But Valverde pointed out media coverage of Barca's signings during his time at the club has generally been negative, yet few have been deemed failures.

    Speaking to reporters ahead of Wednesday's Copa del Rey quarter-final first leg at Sevilla, Valverde said: "Since I've been here, all of them are controversial signings, and then...?

    "[About] Arturo Vidal, Paulinho, you talked a lot, with Arthur also, then he also gives us a great performance. Things always end up going well.

    "The departure of Munir [El Haddadi] is a matter of the club, and we would like to have strikers in the team who score 15 goals, but that's not been the case. Boateng arrives for a few months.

    "He knows the trade, a player who, having made a career in other positions, now plays as a number nine, he knows LaLiga and the role he is playing in.

    "He was available, Munir left, the club thought he was the best option and I hope he helps us a lot."

    Boateng has on occasion been accused of having problems with his attitude, but Valverde insists the former Ghana international has a clean slate at Camp Nou.

    "We trust in the presumption of innocence," Valverde said. "We do not want to fight with him, but want him to help us and to score goals. In Las Palmas he had a great year."

    One player linked with a move away from Barca is Brazilian winger Malcom, who is said to be interesting Tottenham, among other clubs.

    Valverde accepts the former Bordeaux talent could depart, though he feels Malcom has the talent to play for Barca if he commits himself.

    "Until January 31, everything can happen," Valverde said. "But we cannot run out of players.

    "There are players who play more and others less. Malcom must fight to play more, because he has the qualities to do so. We expect a lot from him."

  • Search for missing Sala plane suspended Search for missing Sala plane suspended

    Guernsey Police have suspended the search for Emiliano Sala, with the force having so far found "no signs of those on board" an aircraft on which the Cardiff City striker was travelling.

    The French Civil Aviation Authority confirmed on Tuesday that the 28-year-old was on a plane that had gone missing while travelling from Nantes to Cardiff late on Monday.

    Sala, who was confirmed as Cardiff's record signing on Saturday after opting to leave Ligue 1 side Nantes, is said to have been one of two people on an aircraft that disappeared while crossing the English Channel.

    Search and rescue teams searched for Sala throughout Tuesday but Guernsey Police confirmed in a statement that operations would not take place through the night.

    "During the course of the 15-hour search, which used multiple air and sea assets from the Channel Islands, UK and France, a number of floating objects have been seen in the water," the force's statement said. 

    "We have been unable to confirm whether any of these are from the missing aircraft.

    "We have found no signs of those on board. If they did land on the water, the chances of survival are at this stage, unfortunately, slim.

    "Search and rescue operations have been suspended as the sun has now set. The current plan is for it to resume at sunrise tomorrow.  There will be no further updates tonight."

    Fans have begun to lay tributes to Sala outside Cardiff City Stadium, while a rally will be held by Nantes supporters on Tuesday.

    Nantes' Coupe de France fixture against Entente SSG, which was set to be played on Wednesday, has been postponed.

    Cardiff chief executive Ken Choo also gave an update on the Sala situation to Sky News.

    "He's such a great person, he was so happy to join Cardiff City, you can see from his place that he is so happy to be here and so ready to start," Choo said.

    "Words cannot describe the look on his face when he met us and we walked him around the ground. He was absolutely ready to give it a go and we knew him then and we really feel sad to hear of this news because he is such a great person.

    "You could see the happiness on his face when he signed for Cardiff, it was one of the best days of his life. We are very sad and we'd like to thank all the people who are supporting us today, we have received lots of messages. 

    "We've had support from the Premier League executives as well but we are just waiting for information like everyone else with the authorities on whereabouts the plane is and the circumstances.

    "When we get some news we will convey it from the club but we have a lot of supporters who are very concerned and we understand that, we are too.

    "We are just waiting for them [the authorities] to inform us and we are trying to communicate with them as well. We're trying to reach the agent of the player, the family as well because we are very concerned. We'd like to reach out to the family because it's a tough time for them. We just want to know if he's okay and if the pilot's okay and where the plane is."

    Sala's former Nantes manager Claudio Ranieri - now at Fulham - also paid tribute to the striker, lauding his character and "wishing" for good news.

    "I was devastated to hear the news," the Italian said on Tuesday. "Emiliano is a wonderful character. He's a fighter.

    "The world of football will be united in wishing for some positive news. I pray for Emiliano and his family."

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.