issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Clarendon, Cornwall oust Frome, Dinthill to book daCosta Cup final spots

By Sports Desk November 21, 2018

Cornwall College (CC) striker Matthew Thorpe missed a gaping goal from four yards out but held his nerve to slot home from 12, in a tense 4-2 penalty victory over Frome Technical in the ISSA/WATA daCosta semi-finals on Wednesday.  

In the end, Thorpe polished off a perfect penalty shootout for Cornwall after firing hard to the left of the Frome goalkeeper to spark wild celebrations.  Shavon McDonald, Calvin Gardner, Denyu Ricketts also converted from the spot for CC, while Giovanni Mitto and Jevoy Harvey scored for Frome.

In a hard-fought 0-0 battle during regular time, Thorpe’s 89th minute miss was the most glaring miscue but both teams created enough quality chances to take the lead during regular time. 

Cornwall College will face Clarendon College in the final, who earlier in the day defeated Dinthill 4-0 to secure their spot in the final.  Nicque Daley opened the scoring for Clarendon and added another, the pair of goals split by a Ricardo McIntosh strike.  Javel Ellis closed out the scoring for Clarendon College.  

Related items

  • Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled

    Renato Sanches' public criticism of Bayern Munich for apparently not letting him leave the club has been met with bafflement by sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.

    The 22-year-old joined Bayern to much fanfare in 2016 after impressing with Benfica and Portugal, establishing himself as one of the world's most promising teenagers.

    But things have not gone to plan for Sanches in the Bundesliga, struggling before and since an unsuccessful loan spell at Swansea City in 2017-18.

    Niko Kovac's appointment at Bayern last year appeared to provide Sanches with hope of kickstarting his career in Germany, but again his impact was underwhelming.

    After a five-minute cameo in Friday's 2-2 draw with Hertha Berlin, Sanches complained about his playing time and questioned why the club had twice refused to let him leave, much to Salihamidzic's confusion.

    "Renato has played three times since the start the season," Salihamidzic told reporters during the presentation of new signing Mickael Cuisance, midfield challenger to Sanches' place in the squad.

    "Against Borussia Dortmund he was subbed on, in the DFB-Pokal he started and this weekend, although it was only for five minutes, he was also subbed on.

    "Therefore, I didn't really understand why he had to make these remarks. We will see [if he stays], I already explained on Monday that we'll keep all our options open until September 2 [when the transfer window closes].

    "Other than that, I don't want to say much more about it."

    Cuisance, 20, will be hoping to not fall short of expectations at Bayern like Sanches, with Salihamidzic revealing the club to be long-time admirers of the France youth international talent, who joins from Borussia Monchengladbach for a reported €12million.

    "We always tried to get him to Bayern," Salihamidzic said of Cuisance. "He is a player who can play all positions in midfield.

    "He is a very creative player with a very good left foot. He is very creative and feels comfortable in a small spaces. Even under pressure, he has no problems and has great technique.

    "He has a very good idea of the game, which has been seen in the French youth teams. He also showed this in his first year in Monchengladbach, so he is very interesting for our team.

    "We expect him to develop further here and I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun with him."

  • De Gea and Kepa could share Spain starting spot, says Moreno De Gea and Kepa could share Spain starting spot, says Moreno

    David de Gea and Kepa Arrizabalaga could be made to share Spain's number one shirt with neither player guaranteed a starting spot under Robert Moreno.

    Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa has started each of the national team's three matches since former head coach Luis Enrique handed the reins to long-time assistant Moreno in March.

    Manchester United star De Gea previously owned the position, but a poor World Cup and disappointing club campaign last season weakened his claims for a place in the XI.

    Spain return to Euro 2020 qualifying action in September and will do so without a defined first-choice option behind the back four.

    "My goalkeepers are De Gea, Kepa and [Roma's] Pau Lopez," Moreno told radio station Cadena SER.

    "I like that there is competition. Kepa is not ahead of De Gea, and neither is ahead of Pau.

    "I want to get to the Euros with three goalkeepers who are ready to compete. They are all playing at a high level and there are nuances and differences between them. All three have good footwork.

    "At Barca, we won the treble alternating goalkeepers."

    Despite his limited experience as a head coach, Moreno was appointed to Spain's top job on a permanent basis in June after recording three victories as caretaker.

    Luis Enrique was forced to leave the role for family reasons and while little is publicly known about the exact circumstances, Moreno confirmed he has recently been in contact with the former Roma and Barca boss.

    "He wants total privacy. There is little else I can tell you. He's fighting," Moreno said.

    "Our friendship goes beyond the professional field. If at any time I have questions, I have the freedom, as long as the circumstances allow, to ask them.

    "I learned from him how to deal with players. Learn how they think, what they want, what they need.

    "Books do not explain it to you. He put me by his side and taught me all that."

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid

    Neymar continues to dominate the headlines and Barcelona look set to finally get serious in a move for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    The Brazil international, 27, has been linked with a move from PSG, but progress has seemingly been slow amid links to Barca and Real Madrid.

    It appears Juventus are now ready to join the race, too, as Barcelona prepare to submit an offer.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO SUBMIT NEYMAR BID

    Barcelona have decided to submit a formal offer to PSG for Neymar, according to RAC1.

    The cover of Sport reads 'Offer Offical' as Barcelona continue their pursuit of the star they sold to PSG for €222million two years ago.

    They say Barca are hoping to get a deal done and have an option to buy Neymar next season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There may yet be a bit to play out in the Neymar saga. AS report Juventus have opened talks with PSG and are keen to sign the Brazil star, willing to offer Neymar the €37m per year net he currently makes at PSG.

    - Paulo Dybala could be part of a Juventus move for Neymar. Dybala was reportedly close to a Premier League switch earlier this month and is valued at €80m and a target for PSG, according to Sport and the Daily Mail, giving the Ligue 1 champions an ideal replacement for Neymar.

    - Christian Eriksen's Tottenham future remains unclear. However, ESPN FC report the Denmark international is only interested in moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Juventus if he leaves Tottenham.

    - As Barcelona try to find a deal for Neymar, Nelson Semedo has been one of the players mentioned as part of a potential package. However, Marca report the defender does not want to go to PSG and Barca are aware.

    - Roma are still trying to strengthen their defence and Arsenal's Shkodran Mustafi has emerged as a target, according to TuttoMercatoWeb. The Serie A giants would consider an initial loan move for the defender.

    - Franck Ribery could be close to making a decision on his future. According to Fabrizio Romano, the former Bayern Munich star is in advanced talks with Fiorentina.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.