St George's topple defending champions Jamaica College 2-1

By Leighton Levy November 20, 2018

 A new Manning Cup champion will be crowned in 2018 as St. George’s College defeated five-time defending champions Jamaica College 2-1 on Tuesday in semi-final action at the National Stadium in Kingston.

Jamaica College had won five consecutive titles since 2013 but they were upended by a well-organised St. George’s, who now have an opportunity to win another title since they last held the trophy in 2012.

Both teams battled to a 0-0 stalemate in an evenly contested first half. However, the first goal came in the 59th minute from Chanthamoi Taylor, who came on as a substitute to replace Raheem Williams four minutes earlier.

Taylor robbed defender Nathan Hunter just outside the box and powered towards goal and passed the ball past goalkeeper Khari Williams into the right side of the Jamaica College net.

St. George’s doubled the lead in the 72nd minute when Man-of-the-Match Damani Harris tapped in from close range after receiving a pass inside the box from Taylor. It was his 15th goal of the season.

Saqlain Waul scored a consolation in the 94th minute in what was the last kick of the game.

St. George’s Assistant Coach Marcel Gayle said the light blues were able to take advantage of gaps in the JC set up.

“On both sides, when they come they come in numbers and they leave space behind the two wingbacks which I think we exploited well and we ended up converting the goals,” said Gayle, who said he was looking forward to the clash with their North Street rivals Kingston College who had earlier defeated STATHs 2-1.

“It’s a derby and we just want good football.”

Meanwhile, Jamaica College head coach Andrew Peart lamented his side’s inability to create enough clear chances to score, which he said contributed to their first semi-final defeat in six years.

“In a sense, we were not as aggressive as in previous games. We were not able to get a lot of players forward. In the second half, we tried to change that but we conceded at that time and then St. George’s set back and started to play on the counter a bit more so it was a little bit more difficult to break them down,” said Stewart.

The coach who is in his first year coaching JC after replacing Miguel Coley who won five consecutive titles said he was disappointed with the outcome but was looking forward to playing Cornwall College in the ISSA Champions Cup final where they are hopeful of a more positive outcome.

Harris was elated with his goal that proved to the match winner that sees St. George’s in with a chance to win their first title since they last won in 2012.

“It’s a great feeling. I have been working hard since 2014 and to come out here and perform like this is an excellent feeling,” he said, adding that he was looking forward to playing KC in the finals.

“This is something we have been waiting for. We have trained hard, played hard and this is a reward for us.”

 

 

 

Related items

  • Bierhoff: Germany not in doomsday scenario Bierhoff: Germany not in doomsday scenario

    Oliver Bierhoff insists Germany are not in a "doomsday" scenario as a new era begins following the controversial omissions of Mats Hummels, Jerome Boateng and Thomas Muller.

    The Bayern Munich trio, who all played a key role in Germany's World Cup triumph in 2014, have been left out by head coach Joachim Low for the start of the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.

    Team manager Bierhoff suggested after relegation in the Nations League last year Germany should keep faith with their experienced players, but there appears to have been a change of heart.

    Muller reacted angrily to being dropped while Bayern complained at the timing of the announcement, made just days before their Champions League last-16 second leg at home to Liverpool, and former coach Jurgen Klinsmann criticised the decision.

    Germany play Serbia in a friendly ahead of facing Netherlands in Euro 2020 qualifying, with RB Leipzig defender Lukas Klostermann, Hertha Berlin midfielder Niklas Stark and Werder Bremen forward Maximilian Eggestein the new faces in Low's squad.

    Parallels have been drawn to 2004, when Germany invested in a new generation of talent after being knocked out in the group stage of the European Championship, but Bierhoff is unsure whether their current situation can be compared.

    "Jurgen has a view from the outside in," Bierhoff told a news conference. "I do not want to set a doomsday scenario, we are in a better situation compared to 2004.

    "There are fewer and fewer potential players in the U16, U17 area, but at the moment we still have a lot of good players we can develop. Other nations are better off, but we can look back on a good base, not as good as 2010, but we still have good players.

    "I think the most important thing was that the players learned it [being dropped] from us, from Jogi Low. It was the right step to keep it short. This question of respect has surprised me, and for me as a player, the truth has always been the most important thing, and my impression is that after the first annoyance, some calm is restored."

    Bayer Leverkusen winger Julian Brandt conceded he did not expect Muller, Hummels and Boateng to be left out by Low but suggested they may return one day.

    "I was surprised when I read about it, I do not know the national team without the three of them," he told reporters on Monday. 

    "We take the situation and we want to continue to be successful with the DFB, you never know what's going to happen in the middle of it all, you always see each other twice in your life.

    "Of course we have a lot going on, the team is a bit younger now, and a lot of young players, including myself, want to be more responsible, and we need to do that over time.

    "I have to find my own way, I do not worry, one says more on the pitch. Manuel Neuer and Toni Kroos are still there, they bring a little more experience."

  • Jorginho is playing well - Mancini defends much-maligned Chelsea midfielder Jorginho is playing well - Mancini defends much-maligned Chelsea midfielder

    Jorginho has won the backing of Italy boss Roberto Mancini despite criticism of his debut season in the Premier League with Chelsea.

    The deep-lying midfielder was a flagship signing for Maurizio Sarri at the start of his Stamford Bridge reign, having been heavily linked with a move to Manchester City.

    However, Jorginho's performances have come under increasing scrutiny as the Blues have faded after a strong start, leaving them in a battle to secure a top-four finish.

    A section of fans at Stamford Bridge cheered his substitution during the recent 1-1 draw against Wolves – Jorginho being selected at the base of the midfield instead of N'Golo Kante has become a considerable bone of contention - and Sarri's men lie sixth in the table following Sunday's 2-0 loss at Everton.

    Jorginho has now joined up with Italy for their opening Euro 2020 qualifiers against Finland and Liechtenstein and Mancini has no doubt that he has a high-quality performer at his disposal.

    "Jorginho is playing very well," he told a news conference. " He hardly misses any games.

    "Chelsea aren't doing as well as usual but he has great quality, like [international team-mate Marco] Verratti, who is key for PSG in midfield."

    Chelsea are through to the quarter-finals of the Europa League alongside Arsenal, while four Premier League representatives make up half of the last eight in the Champions League.

    Juventus are flying the flag for Italy in the latter competition, while Jorginho's old club Napoli are among the favourites for Europa glory.

    Chelsea are through to the quarter-finals of the Europa League alongside Arsenal, with four Premier League representatives making up half of the last eight in the Champions League.

    Juventus are flying the flag for Italy in the latter competition, while Jorginho's old club Napoli are among the favourites for Europa glory.

    "Juventus are still strong, they played a great game [against Atletico Madrid] it was not easy to overturn that result there," Mancini added, before acknowledging the boost that club continental success could have as he continues to rebuild a national team that failed to reach the 2018 World Cup.

    "Napoli have what it takes to win the Europa League. In the end there are two winners and we hope they are the Italians."

  • Mancini challenges Balotelli to earn Italy recall Mancini challenges Balotelli to earn Italy recall

    Italy boss Roberto Mancini believes Mario Balotelli is still not at peak form as he prepares for the start of Italy's Euro 2020 qualification campaign without the Marseille striker.

    Mancini recalled Balotelli from a four-year international exile last May and has been a champion of the enigmatic forward throughout his career, coaching him at Inter before making him a big-money signing at Manchester City.

    The 28-year-old drew a blank in Marseille's 3-1 Classique defeat to Paris Saint-Germain on Sunday but has five goals in eight Ligue 1 games since joining Rudi Garcia's side from Nice.

    However, he failed to find the net in 10 matches for Nice earlier this season amid a breakdown in relations with head coach Patrick Vieira – a former team-mate during his younger days at City and Inter.

    And Mancini thinks there is still work to do until he feels he can rely on his old protege.

    "Mario is not yet in the best condition to play in the national team," he told a news conference at Coverciano on Monday, where his squad gathered for the qualifiers against Finland and Liechtenstein.

    "He has definitely improved but from from him we expect a lot. He starts to have some experience, he is at the peak of his maturation. It will take some time."

    Torino's Andrea Belotti is another number nine to have missed out, with Mancini calling upon prolific Sampdoria veteran Fabio Quagliarella and Juventus teenager Moise Kean.

    "[Belotti] is a player like the others who stayed at home. I think he can do better and play for the Azzurri again," Mancini said.

    "He was with us at the beginning, now there are others. But he is improving and will be back."

    Kean caught the eye with an impressive brace in Juventus' 4-1 win over Udinese this month and takes up the mantle of being a bright young hope in the Italy squad – one once held by Balotelli.

    "At his age he played in the national team, he made goals, he won a lot. Let's hope [Kean] starts like Mario, that is to say very well," Mancini added.

    "But then go on. It is clear that Balotelli could have done much more, but he did a good career.

    "He plays at a big club where they aim to win things and this helps a lot with a sportsperson's development."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.