issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

St George’s College dominant, JC, STETHS, and Cornwall for Champions Cup semis

By November 10, 2018

St George’s College (STGC) were the most dominant team in the quarterfinal of the ISSA Champions Cup on Saturday, the light blues of North Street running out 5-0 winners over a usually dogged St Andrew Technical High School (STATHS) at Stadium East. 

Playing in the second game of a double header after Jamaica College (JC) dispatched Holy Trinity High School, 2-1, STGC went to work in the second half, enjoying a brilliant day in front of goal through Shantamoi Taylor’s brace (57th and 90+1), with additions from Damani Harris (66’), and Emelio Rousseau (77’).

The only action in the first half came towards its end, in the 43rd minute when Konato Campbell hit a screamer that gave STATHS goalkeeper, Ricardo Laing, absolutely no chance.

In the first game, JC earned their place in the final four, courtesy of a Norman Campbell brace (28’, 88’), the double coming in response to Roy Evellyn’s peach of an opener.

At the Montego Bay Sports Complex, another double header saw St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) and Cornwall College joining JC and STGC in the semi-finals.

STETHS earned the right to face JC after coming from behind to beat Charlie Smith 2-1, while Cornwall were comfortable 2-0 winners over Camperdown High School, setting up a date with STGC in the final four.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • De Gea and Kepa could share Spain starting spot, says Moreno De Gea and Kepa could share Spain starting spot, says Moreno

    David de Gea and Kepa Arrizabalaga could be made to share Spain's number one shirt with neither player guaranteed a starting spot under Robert Moreno.

    Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa has started each of the national team's three matches since former head coach Luis Enrique handed the reins to long-time assistant Moreno in March.

    Manchester United star De Gea previously owned the position, but a poor World Cup and disappointing club campaign last season weakened his claims for a place in the XI.

    Spain return to Euro 2020 qualifying action in September and will do so without a defined first-choice option behind the back four.

    "My goalkeepers are De Gea, Kepa and [Roma's] Pau Lopez," Moreno told radio station Cadena SER.

    "I like that there is competition. Kepa is not ahead of De Gea, and neither is ahead of Pau.

    "I want to get to the Euros with three goalkeepers who are ready to compete. They are all playing at a high level and there are nuances and differences between them. All three have good footwork.

    "At Barca, we won the treble alternating goalkeepers."

    Despite his limited experience as a head coach, Moreno was appointed to Spain's top job on a permanent basis in June after recording three victories as caretaker.

    Luis Enrique was forced to leave the role for family reasons and while little is publicly known about the exact circumstances, Moreno confirmed he has recently been in contact with the former Roma and Barca boss.

    "He wants total privacy. There is little else I can tell you. He's fighting," Moreno said.

    "Our friendship goes beyond the professional field. If at any time I have questions, I have the freedom, as long as the circumstances allow, to ask them.

    "I learned from him how to deal with players. Learn how they think, what they want, what they need.

    "Books do not explain it to you. He put me by his side and taught me all that."

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid Rumour Has It: Barcelona to submit Neymar bid

    Neymar continues to dominate the headlines and Barcelona look set to finally get serious in a move for the Paris Saint-Germain star.

    The Brazil international, 27, has been linked with a move from PSG, but progress has seemingly been slow amid links to Barca and Real Madrid.

    It appears Juventus are now ready to join the race, too, as Barcelona prepare to submit an offer.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO SUBMIT NEYMAR BID

    Barcelona have decided to submit a formal offer to PSG for Neymar, according to RAC1.

    The cover of Sport reads 'Offer Offical' as Barcelona continue their pursuit of the star they sold to PSG for €222million two years ago.

    They say Barca are hoping to get a deal done and have an option to buy Neymar next season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - There may yet be a bit to play out in the Neymar saga. AS report Juventus have opened talks with PSG and are keen to sign the Brazil star, willing to offer Neymar the €37m per year net he currently makes at PSG.

    - Paulo Dybala could be part of a Juventus move for Neymar. Dybala was reportedly close to a Premier League switch earlier this month and is valued at €80m and a target for PSG, according to Sport and the Daily Mail, giving the Ligue 1 champions an ideal replacement for Neymar.

    - Christian Eriksen's Tottenham future remains unclear. However, ESPN FC report the Denmark international is only interested in moving to Barcelona, Real Madrid or Juventus if he leaves Tottenham.

    - As Barcelona try to find a deal for Neymar, Nelson Semedo has been one of the players mentioned as part of a potential package. However, Marca report the defender does not want to go to PSG and Barca are aware.

    - Roma are still trying to strengthen their defence and Arsenal's Shkodran Mustafi has emerged as a target, according to TuttoMercatoWeb. The Serie A giants would consider an initial loan move for the defender.

    - Franck Ribery could be close to making a decision on his future. According to Fabrizio Romano, the former Bayern Munich star is in advanced talks with Fiorentina.

  • Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho Klopp: Liverpool couldn't afford Coutinho

    Jurgen Klopp revealed Liverpool could not afford to bring Philippe Coutinho back to Anfield as he backed the attacker to shine at Bayern Munich.

    Coutinho's move to the Bundesliga champions was confirmed on Monday, the Brazil international joining on a season-long loan from Barcelona with Bayern holding an option to buy for €120million.

    The 27-year-old had also been linked with a return to Liverpool, where he starred for five seasons before joining Barca.

    Klopp said the European champions could not spend the money required to sign Coutinho, with Bayern paying an €8.5m loan fee and the star's wages.

    "It sounds a bit strange, but we could not afford it," he said at the Sport Bild awards on Monday.

    "We have already spent the money that we got for him."

    Klopp backed Coutinho to shine for Bayern after struggling to have an impact at Barcelona.

    "He's a great player, a great boy," the former Borussia Dortmund coach said.

    "We were reluctant to sell him, but Barcelona forced us with money, so to speak.

    "He is a player who can change games for the positive. It's not that nice for Dortmund, but it's a great transfer for Bayern and the Bundesliga."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.