Penalty shootouts dominate Champions Cup round of 16

By November 03, 2018

Corporate Area schools dominated the first stanza of the ISSA Champions Cup after the round of 16 came to an end all over Jamaica today with four of the six games going down to penalties. 

In only one of two games to end in regular time, Manning Cup champions, Jamaica College (JC), are looking to throw off their Champions Cup jinx and started with the 4-0 thrashing of Mile Gully.

That result, the biggest of the day, was earned through goals from Shaniel Thomas in the 14th minute, Norman Campbell in the 30th, Tajay Grant in the 52nd, and Issac Scott in the 86th.

The only other game to end in 90 minutes was a drab affair between Camperdown and Frome, with Ziddon Braithwaite’s 55th minute strike sending the former through to the next round.

There was some late drama when Frome were awarded a penalty for a handball but a poor attempt and a good save from the Camperdown custodian meant the scoreline at the Montego Bay Sports Complex would remain the same.

In the second game of a double header at the Montego Bay Sports Complex, an uncharacteristically poor performance from Cornwall College almost saw them losing to Wolmer’s Boys’ School.

Wolmer’s opened the scoring in the 23rd minute by way of a Dwayne Allen penalty, and although they had very little of the ball, looked comfortably until 12 minutes later when Matthew Thorpe made the most of Selano Birch’s good work.

Breaking down the right side, Birch had gone too early but the pass, intended for him was too far inside. He chased into the box and tackled the Wolmer’s defender who was attempting to clear.

Thorpe then drove home the rebound to ensure Cornwall would have a chance.

A series of poor penalties and some good saves were to follow as the victors ended 3-2 winners after two Wolmer’s players, brought on to take penalties, missed.

Over at the St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) Sports Complex, St Andrew Technical High School (STATHS) ran out 4-3 winners on penalties after their 90 minutes against Manchester High School ended 1-1.

In the second game of a double header at the STETHS Sports Complex, Charlie Smith High School earned a 4-2 penalty shoot out win after they led their game against Clarendon College until the 87th minute when the DaCosta Cup semi-finalists equalized.

Holy Trinity High School were also winners on the day from penalties, running out 4-2 winners over Dinthill Technical after the two had played to a 0-0 draw.

The results mean, JC, Camperdown, STATHS, Holy Trinity, Charlie Smith and Cornwall College will join St George’s College and STETHS in the quarterfinals.

St George’s had, on Friday, run out 2-0 winners over Garvey Maceo, while STETHS beat Manning Cup favourites Kingston College, 6-5 on penalties.

There are six Corporate Area teams left in the competition, while just two Rural Area teams have stood their ground.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.