issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

We came here to kick them out – STETHS coach lauds team's fight

By November 02, 2018

After coming to a crashing halt in the ISSA/Wata DaCosta Cup title race at the quarter-final stage, St Elizabeth Technical, an unseeded ISSA Champions Cup team believe they have no choice but to win. 

STETHS got by defending champions Kingston College (KC) on Friday, winning in sudden-death penalty shootouts after the teams ended with three penalties a piece to start.

That result came after STETHS and KC played out a 1-1 draw.

“I feel good, especially for the boys. One of the things we told them is that we were going to keep cool, calm and collected today,” said STETHS coach Omar Wedderburn.

According to the coach, his team new there wouldn’t be much between the teams but that his had more to fight for.

“It was going to be rough, it was going to be close. We knew, for a fact, that if we come out and play our aggressive style of game we were going to push them right back,” he said.

In addition, there was the additional impetus of returning the favour after it was KC who found a way to get rid of STETHS in last year’s competition.

“But you know, they are champions, no, wrong, they were champions so they have to come and push. But I know that lightening doesn’t flash in the same place twice, so we came here today to kick them out of the competition and we did that,” he said.

Wedderburn went on to explain the many similarities between this year and last, which may have favoured his team.

“Last year it was the same situation between us and KC. Last year we had the semi-final, KC didn’t have anything and this year they have the semi-final and we don’t have anything. so we just have to come and give it our all. We have nothing else to do now. This is our main objective so we have no choice but to come out and play to win each game,” he said.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • If we find something for one position – Klopp relaxed over Liverpool transfer activity If we find something for one position – Klopp relaxed over Liverpool transfer activity

    Jurgen Klopp remains "relaxed" about Liverpool's transfer activity and while he is looking at strengthening one position, he reiterated the European champions would be relatively quiet during the window.

    Liverpool have signed 17-year-old defender Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle this close season, while the likes of Daniel Sturridge and Alberto Moreno have left.

    The Champions League winners have been linked with moves for numerous players, including former playmaker Philippe Coutinho – now at Barcelona – and Lille forward Nicolas Pepe.

    Klopp, whose team are in the United States for pre-season friendlies, is remaining calm about Liverpool's movements in the market.

    "We are pretty relaxed in that, we will see what's coming up," he told the club's website.

    "How I said, it will not be the biggest transfer window of LFC. We invested a lot in the team in the last two years, I would say. We cannot spend every year in the same manner.

    "People talk about it like, 'Now another £300million or £200m'. There are maybe only two clubs in the world – it looks in the moment like Barcelona and [Real] Madrid can do the same – [Manchester] City and PSG that can do it every year.

    "But we are fine. I'm happy with the team, we are really happy. We have to see if we find maybe one position, if we find something for it, but there's no real pressure because it's not about signing a player. We have solutions for all the situations.

    "Do we have exactly the solution that everybody from outside would be 100 per cent happy? I don't think so because people want to have world class here, world class here and the guy on the bench has to be world class as well. That's not so easy. But we are of course working on it."

    Marko Grujic will remain on loan at Hertha Berlin, while Sheyi Ojo will spend 2019-20 with Rangers.

    But Klopp has no concerns about his squad at Liverpool, who finished a point behind champions Manchester City in the Premier League last season.

    "On the outgoing side, we are relaxed. The young boys are here and enjoyed working with us a lot," he said.

    "Not to forget Naby [Keita] and Shaq [Xherdan Shaqiri] are injured still and are not here with us. Players will come back.

    "I'm really looking forward to the season, it will be really exciting again."

    Liverpool face Borussia Dortmund in a friendly on Friday.

  • There's not another Zlatan – Ibrahimovic jokes about #StormArea51 There's not another Zlatan – Ibrahimovic jokes about #StormArea51

    Can those planning to storm Area 51 expect to see another Zlatan Ibrahimovic? No.

    Almost two million people have RSVP'd to a Facebook event to "Storm Area 51" – a classified US Air Force training base in Nevada which conspiracy theorists believe harbours information about extraterrestrial life.

    A disclaimer in the Facebook event claims it is all a joke, but it has not stopped #StormArea51 from taking the internet by storm.

    When LA Galaxy superstar Ibrahimovic fronted the media on Wednesday, he was asked what might be in Area 51.

    "Not another Zlatan. That's for sure," Ibrahimovic joked with reporters.

    Asked if they would let Ibrahimovic into Area 51, former Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona striker Ibrahimovic replied: "I have my own area 51."

    Ibrahimovic has enjoyed another fine season in MLS, with 13 goals for the Galaxy.

    The 37-year-old's goals have helped the Galaxy to third position in the Western Conference, 12 points adrift of leaders Los Angeles FC after 20 games.

  • Perin in no doubt over Benfica switch from Juventus Perin in no doubt over Benfica switch from Juventus

    Mattia Perin insists there are no hard feelings over his impending Juventus exit as he closes in on a move to Benfica.

    The goalkeeper, 26, is set to join the Portuguese champions subject to a medical – just a year after signing for Juve from Genoa.

    Gianluigi Buffon's surprise return to the Italian champions a year on from his move to Paris Saint-Germain mean chances are likely to be limited at the Allianz Stadium for Perin, who was understudy to Wojciech Szczesny last season.

    A fee of around €15million has reportedly been agreed between the sides, with promising Benfica full-back Joao Ferreira poised to head in the opposite direction to the Bianconeri, who are set to seal the capture of defender Matthijs de Ligt.

    Perin says he is in no doubt over the move and has always hoped to be able to experience playing abroad.

    "I'm happy, I'm going to Benfica to play for the champions," he said. "It's an exciting adventure. I want to show my value and put into practice everything I learned even during the last season at Juventus."

    He added: "In Turin I found a group of exemplary players both outside and inside the field and I learned so much because they are all champions. For this I thank the company because it taught me a lot." 

    Perin, who has been sidelined since shoulder surgery in April, also admitted he needs regular first-team football if he is to force his way back into the Italy squad ahead of Euro 2020.

    "I'm recovering from the injury and I will return to the field between mid-September and early October," added Perin, who has been capped twice by his country at senior level. 

    "I want to return to play with the aim of winning a jersey for next year's European Championship."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.