issa-sbf-white-logo.png
ssflogo2.png

Defending Champions Presentation College out of the blocks early

By September 15, 2018

Presentation College, defending Secondary School Football League Premier Division champions, got out of the gate quickly this season, winning their opening encounter at home to Trinity College Moka. 

Presentation were comfortable in the end, earning a 3-1 win, while Naparima College, the team that finished second, just two points adrift last season, ensured they kept pace with a 3-1 away win against St Mary’s College.

Newcomers Bishop’s High had a better day than did their fellow promoted team, Valencia, who lost in an opener on Wednesday.

Bishop’s were not winners but their 2-2 draw with Fatima College may just give them the hope they can survive at top-flight football.

St Anthony’s College, who finished third in the competition last year, were also winners, coming up 4-2 winners over St Augustine Secondary.

Another newcomer to the league, East Mucurapo, also earned a point, the promoted team earning a 2-2 draw with the Queen’s Royal College.

When the results, added to the opening double header between Valencia Secondary and San Juan North Secondary, and Trinity College East and St Benedict’s College, are counted, San Juan North Secondary, St Anthony’s College and Naparima College are one, two, and three with the defending champions in close attendance at fourth.

Pos Team P W D L F A +- Pts
1 San Juan North Secondary 1 1 0 0 3 0 3 3
2 St Anthony's College 1 1 0 0 4 2 2 3
3 Naparima College 1 1 0 0 3 1 2 3
4 Presentation College 1 1 0 0 3 1 2 3
5 Bishop's High School 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
6 Queen's Royal College 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
7 East Mucurapo 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
8 Fatima College 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
9 Trinity College East 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
10 St Benedict's College 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
11 Carapichaima East Secondary 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 St Augustine Secondary 1 0 0 1 2 4 -2 0
13 Trinity College Moka 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
14 St Mary's College 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
15 Valencia Secondary School 1 0 0 1 0 3 -3 0
Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Cincinnati coach Jans quits after racial slur allegation Cincinnati coach Jans quits after racial slur allegation

    FC Cincinnati head coach Ron Jans has quit the club after it was alleged he used a racial slur.

    Dutchman Jans initially "stepped away" from his duties on Friday as an independent investigation looked into the claims made against him.

    Now the 61-year-old has had his resignation accepted by Cincinnati, who said his departure was "the best course of action for everyone involved" with the club.

    The MLS Players Association (MLSPA) said on Friday it had been "made aware of extremely inappropriate comments" made by Jans and called for an "immediate and thorough league investigation".

    That has led to Jans, appointed last August, cutting his ties with the team with immediate effect.

    The Athletic alleged Jans used the 'N-word' in the company of a number of players earlier in pre-season, and reported that members of the team met with an attorney regarding the incident.

    FC Cincinnati president Jeff Berding said in a club statement: "As Major League Soccer's investigation unfolded and some themes emerged, Ron offered his resignation and we agreed that it was the best course of action for everyone involved with FC Cincinnati.

    "We place the utmost importance on a strong culture within our club, beginning in our locker room, and that every person connected with FC Cincinnati feels valued, respected and trusted.

    "Racial and cultural diversity is a major part of what makes the game of soccer so special, and we place the highest priority on respecting every person involved in our game.

    "This includes absolutely everyone associated with our club, from our locker room and front office, all the way through to our fans."

    Jans has yet to make a public comment on the accusation.

    The dramatic development comes just 12 days before Cincinnati begin their MLS season against New York Red Bulls.

    Frenchman Yoann Damet, who has been at Cincinnati for three years, takes over as interim head coach.

    The club said general manager Gerard Nijkamp was beginning the search for a permanent new first-team boss.

  • Leganes 'worried' after confirming Barca approach for Braithwaite Leganes 'worried' after confirming Barca approach for Braithwaite

    Barcelona have contacted Leganes regarding the potential signing of striker Martin Braithwaite and the Madrid club are worried losing him will doom them to relegation, according to majority shareholder Felipe Moreno.

    After having Ousmane Dembele ruled out for six months last week, Barca are reported to have been granted special dispensation to sign a new player despite the transfer window being closed.

    The regulations in place stipulate the player they sign must either be registered with another Spanish club already or a free agent.

    Angel Rodriguez, Willian Jose, Lucas Perez and Loren Moron were said to be the initial candidates, but in the past few days Leganes' Denmark international Braithwaite has seemingly emerged as the most likely option.

    Leganes confirmed Barca made contact with them on Monday but insist Braithwaite will only leave if his reported €20million release clause is triggered, with Moreno expressing concern after the relegation-threatened side lost another striker in Youssef En-Nesyri to Sevilla last month.

    "Yesterday [Monday] afternoon they called and contemplated this situation," Moreno told reporters on Tuesday. "They only made contact once.

    "The truth is that we are very worried. After what happened to us with En-Nesyri, now what happens with Braithwaite ... staying in LaLiga gets more complicated every day. In these next hours we will know what happens, yes or no.

    "I don't know if anyone will come from Barcelona today. The player has a day off and we have not talked to him.

    "I understand why Braithwaite would go to Barca, I would too. But of course, we are not going to negotiate anything. They pay his clause, or he stays at Leganes.

    "I can understand that Barca do this if the law allows them to, but I thought that they couldn't sign an active player, only one free agent. I was surprised."

    After 24 LaLiga matches this season, Leganes are second-bottom of the table, only ahead of Espanyol on goal difference and two points adrift of Celta Vigo in 17th.

  • Barcelona did not use social media to discredit players – Bartomeu Barcelona did not use social media to discredit players – Bartomeu

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has denied the club hired a social media contractor in order to discredit the likes of Lionel Messi, Gerard Pique and Pep Guardiola.

    Spanish radio network Cadena SER reported on Monday that an independent social media company was contracted by Barca to boost the public profile of the current board of directors.

    The reports also stated the company was tasked with undermining individuals with strong links to the club, including current stars Messi and Pique, former coach Guardiola and midfield icon Xavi.

    Following a strong statement of denial on Monday, Bartomeu, while acknowledging Barca had hired I3 Ventures – the company in question – has reiterated the club's stance.

    "I want to make clear, for the [Barca] members, and everyone, because I have heard different versions," Bartomeu said at the XIV Vazquez Montalban International Journalism Awards.

    "First of all, I have to say that Barcelona haven't hired any service to discredit anyone. Neither players, nor the executives, ex-presidents. That is totally false.

    "So we will defend ourselves where necessary regarding this subject, by all means, and in front of anyone who accuses us of doing this. I repeat again, it is false that Barcelona, in any case, has hired no one to discredit anyone."

    However, with I3 Ventures connected to one of the accounts named in the reports – Respeto y Deporte (Respect and Sport) – Bartomeu confirmed Barca have ended their relationship with the contractor.

    "It is true that at the end of 2017, Barcelona hired a service to monitor different areas of the club in the social media, as the major of the clubs have," he added.

    "After the confirmation that one of the accounts linked to one of this company's suppliers have made inappropriate commentaries about people related to our organisation, I have given instructions personally to terminate the contract with this company.

    "I want to make something clear. Regarding to the question that "if we have ordered anyone to monitor the social media", the answer is yes and we will still do it. 

    "It is the responsibility of this club to know what is going on and what it is being said around the world, always to preserve Barcelona.

    "Regarding to the question "If we have ordered to discredit people or institutions through social media" the answer is no and we will persecute everyone who accuses us of it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.