BREAKING NEWS: Indian Premier League suspended indefinitely

By Sports Desk May 04, 2021

The Indian Premier League has been suspended indefinitely amid the worsening coronavirus pandemic in the country.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India and Indian Premier League Governing Council confirmed the news in a joint statement on Tuesday after reports of COVID cases in three teams.

Kolkata Knight Riders duo Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier tested positive, forcing Monday's game against Royal Challengers Bangalore to be rescheduled.

Reports also suggest Sunrisers Hyderabad wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha tested positive, leading to the whole team having to isolate, while there were two reported cases in the Chennai Super Kings team.

"The Indian Premier League Governing Council (IPL GC) and Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in an emergency meeting has unanimously decided to postpone IPL 2021 season, with immediate effect," a statement read.

"The BCCI does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL. This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and well-being of all the stakeholders in mind.

"These are difficult times, especially in India and while we have tried to bring in some positivity and cheer, however, it is imperative that the tournament is now suspended and everyone goes back to their families and loved ones in these trying times.

"The BCCI will do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all the participants in IPL 2021.

"The BCCI would like to thank all the healthcare workers, state associations, players, support staff, franchises, sponsors, partners and all the service providers who have tried their best to organise IPL 2021 even in these extremely difficult times."

India has seen a sharp rise in COVID numbers in the country in recent weeks, with the total number in excess of 20 million since the start of the global pandemic.

Related items

  • Neymar signs new PSG deal as he commits until 2025 Neymar signs new PSG deal as he commits until 2025

    Neymar has committed his future to Paris Saint-Germain by extending his contract until 2025.

    The Brazil forward joined the Ligue 1 champions from Barcelona on a five-year deal at a world-record cost of €222million in August 2017.

    Neymar had been linked with a return to Barca, but the 29-year-old has now firmly committed to PSG, who announced his new deal on Saturday afternoon.

    L'Equipe reported that the former Santos star's new terms will see him earn €30m (£26m) per season in the French capital.

    Neymar said: "I'm very happy, very happy to be extending my contract with Paris until 2025. The truth is that I'm very happy to be staying here for four more years, to be a part of the club's project, to try and win titles, to try and achieve our biggest dream which is the Champions League."

    Neymar appeared eager to rejoin Barcelona in July 2019, when his future in Paris looked in serious doubt, and in recent weeks he was linked again with a switch to Camp Nou.

    On signing up for the next four years, he suggested there was regret on his part at making life difficult for PSG chiefs in the past.

    "I have changed a lot. I have learned a lot," Neymar said, quoted on the club's official website.

    "Things have happened that should not have happened. We had fights, a few sad times, but overall, the evolution has been very positive.

    "I am happy, I am proud to be part of the history of Paris Saint-Germain. I think I have improved as a person, as a human being, and as a player too. So, I am very happy to be extending my contract, to be part of the history of Paris and I hope to put many more trophies on the shelf for Paris Saint-Germain.

    "Of course, my goal when I came to Paris Saint-Germain was to help get Paris Saint-Germain to the top, among the very best, and we are getting close. We are gaining more and more experience to help us negotiate these types of games, to know how to play in the Champions League. And Paris is on the right track, we are getting closer and closer to the taste of winning the Champions League. I'm sure we can do it."

    Defeat to Manchester City in the semi-finals of the Champions League this season means hopes of lifting that trophy remain unfulfilled.

    However, Neymar believes Mauricio Pochettino is a man who can deliver such success, describing him as "a great coach who will certainly help us even more" while also praising his Parc des Princes team-mates.

    "These things make you believe in the project even more," Neymar said.

  • Abid unbeaten as Pakistan post daunting first-innings 510 Abid unbeaten as Pakistan post daunting first-innings 510

    Pakistan strengthened their grip on the second Test against Zimbabwe in Harare after an unbeaten 215 from Abid Ali allowed the tourists to declare on 510-8.

    And Zimbabwe were quickly reduced to 52-4 in reply by the end of day two as Pakistan closed on a dominant sweep of the two-match series.

    The touring side, who won the opener by an innings and 116 runs, resumed on 268-4 on Saturday and could not be slowed.

    It took Zimbabwe 54 balls to remove nightwatchman Sajid Khan (20), installed alongside Abid after a belated flurry of wickets on Friday, although Abid's scoring was only steady as Mohammad Rizwan and Hasan Ali also departed.

    The arrival of Nauman Ali at the crease prompted a huge partnership of 169 and the duo looked immovable at the close of the second session.

    Nauman was just seven shy of a maiden century, having been out for a duck in the previous match, and this looming milestone appeared to play into the thinking as Pakistan batted again in the evening.

    But after Nauman hit the first ball for four, he was stumped from the second and Babar Azam swiftly declared.

    That left time for the tourists to chase early wickets in the Zimbabwe innings and veteran Test debutant Tabish Khan found joy inside the second over as he trapped Tarisai Musakanda.

    Kevin Kasuza, captain Brendan Taylor and Milton Shumba also departed before the day was out, with Sajid continuing an enjoyable outing with his first Test wicket.

    The hosts again face a mountain to climb simply to send Pakistan in to bat for a second time, already with only six wickets remaining and 259 off the follow-on mark of 311.

    Making hay in Harare

    Abid scored centuries in two of his first three Test innings but had failed to supply a third since coming into this match. His average stood at 37.

    Now he has a first double-hundred and a batting average of 49.6. The batsman found an accommodating Zimbabwe attack but capitalised far more effectively than many of his team-mates.

    Well worth the wait

    Tabish made his first-class debut in 2002-03 but only now, aged 36, has been handed his chance in the Test arena.

    Not called into action until the sixth session of the match, he soon made up for lost time with just his sixth delivery, nipping back into Musakanda to set Pakistan on their way.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Neymar signs new PSG deal as he commits until 2025 BREAKING NEWS: Neymar signs new PSG deal as he commits until 2025

    Neymar has committed his future to Paris Saint-Germain by extending his contract until 2025.

    The Brazil forward joined the Ligue 1 champions from Barcelona on a five-year deal at a world-record cost of €222million in August 2017.

    Neymar had been linked with a return to Barca, but the 29-year-old has now firmly committed to PSG, who announced his new deal on Saturday afternoon.

    L'Equipe reported that the former Santos star's new terms will see him earn €30m (£26m) per season in the French capital.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.