England without Lawrence option for second Pakistan Test

By Sports Desk August 10, 2020

England will not have the option to call up Dan Lawrence for the second Test against Pakistan after the batsman left the squad due to a family bereavement.

The second Test begins at the Rose Bowl on Thursday, with England leading the series 1-0 thanks to a Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes inspired victory at Old Trafford.

However, Joe Root will be without one of his star names in Ben Stokes, who left the bio-secure bubble on Sunday to travel to New Zealand for family reasons.

Though Stokes' place in the side up for grabs, Essex batsman Lawrence will not be selected for his first Test cap after the 23-year-old was granted leave from the squad

Zak Crawley, who played in the first two Tests against West Indies, seems the likely candidate to replace Stokes, with England confirming a replacement for Lawrence would not be selected.

Crawley scored 76 in the second innings of the first Test against the Windies, though he was out for a duck and 11 in his two stays at the crease in the following match.

Related items

  • Solskjaer 'can't predict' how Maguire will react to Greece ordeal Solskjaer 'can't predict' how Maguire will react to Greece ordeal

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer knows there are no guarantees over Harry Maguire's form after a tumultuous close-season for the Manchester United captain.

    Maguire was arrested after an incident with police while on holiday on the Greek island of Mykonos last month.

    At a trial on the neighbouring island of Syros, the 27-year-old was found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and attempted bribery.

    He was handed a suspended prison sentence but maintains his innocence and Maguire's pending appeal nullifies the conviction under Greek law.

    "The process will keep on going," Solskjaer said ahead of United's Premier League opener at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday.

    "Knowing Harry, he's a very strong character so hopefully he can put that apart but naturally, as a human being, it will be in the back of your mind what's happened this summer, and apart from that you have just got to see how it develops with Harry.

    "Personally, I think he will be able to focus on his football but then who am I to … you can't predict how people will react, but so far he's trained well, he's been focused.

    "Hopefully that process will just go on and, of course, we know it's something that will go on in the legal department over there."

    Solskjaer announced earlier this month that Maguire would remain his captain after England boss Gareth Southgate removed him from the national squad to face Iceland and Denmark in the wake of his conviction.

    Maguire joined United for £80million from Leicester City last year, a world-record fee for a defender, and went on to make 55 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20, scoring three goals.

  • Greenwood should not have been called up by England, says Solskjaer Greenwood should not have been called up by England, says Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer claims England boss Gareth Southgate went against his wishes by calling up Mason Greenwood after the teenager's maiden senior international experience ended in disgrace.

    Greenwood, 18, was selected for the Three Lions squad to face Iceland and Denmark in the Nations League at the start of this month.

    He made his debut from the bench as England won the former game 1-0 but was then sent home along with Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden after the duo breached strict coronavirus protocols by entertaining women at the team hotel.

    Speaking ahead of United's first Premier League game of the 2020-21 season at home to Crystal Palace, Solskjaer questioned England's approach to Greenwood's welfare and suggested he needed a mental break after the rigours of a superb breakthrough campaign, which continued deep into August as United reached the semi-finals of the Europa League.

    "Yeah, of course I've spoken to Mason," Solskjaer said. "What we speak about and discuss will be between the two of us.

    "The kid had a fantastic season, he's just come through. I've worked and the club has worked and all the staff here have worked really hard - when we gave Mason enough time on the pitch, when we gave him exposure in the media.

    "Then you come to the end of the season and we've had less than two weeks off and he's called up to the national team."

    Solskjaer seemed to take particular exception to Greenwood being assigned media conference duties ahead of his England debut.

    "I have to be honest enough to say I tried my best to give him a rest over the summer, at the club we asked specifically and pointed out he should have had a rest," he added.

    "He needs it mentally and physically after that season he had and the first thing that happens is one, he's called up and two, he's right there in the press.

    "We've done whatever we can to protect him and I will keep on helping him. I know when he comes back into the daily routine of the club and what we do to him he'll be fine."

    Greenwood scored 17 goals in all competitions last season, matching the best return for a teenager in United colours - a distinction he now shares with club greats George Best, Brian Kidd and Wayne Rooney.

  • Jofra Archer hits back at Michael Holding: England have not forgotten about Black Lives Matter Jofra Archer hits back at Michael Holding: England have not forgotten about Black Lives Matter

    Jofra Archer insisted England have not forgotten about the Black Lives Matter movement amid criticism from Michael Holding for not kneeling before games.

    England joined the West Indies in kneeling prior to matches during their Test series in July but have not done so since across matches with Ireland, Pakistan and Australia.

    Windies legend Holding hit out at England for stopping with the gesture "as soon as West Indies went home" and raised the question of whether they had "jumped on the bandwagon" by kneeling during that series.

    However, speaking in a media conference, fast bowler Archer criticised Holding's comments, claiming the Black Lives Matter cause is still very much in the mind of those in the England set-up.

    "I'm pretty sure Michael Holding doesn't know anything that is going on behind the scenes," said the Barbados-born paceman.

    "I don't think he has spoken to [ECB chief executive] Tom Harrison. I think that would be a bit harsh for him to say that.

    "I've spoken to Tom and we've got stuff running in the background, we've not forgotten, no one here has forgotten so I think it's a bit harsh for Mikey to not do some research."

    Archer was racially abused during England's tour of New Zealand last year and has also had to deal with similar incidents on social media.

    Asked if enough is being done by social media platforms to put a stop to such conduct, Archer replied: "A lot of stuff has been put into place so that people can be prosecuted a bit easier but I think it might have to go a bit further because some people still aren't worried about what can happen to them. I had one the other day and the guy blamed it on being drunk.

    "As long as there is social media, as long as the person does not have to confront you, I think it will still go on. All we can do is try to act accordingly, report it and do what's best.

    "At the end of the day, I think I'm strong enough to deal with it but what happens when they start targeting somebody who isn't mentally as strong and it starts affecting them? We've got to try to stamp it out as much as possible."

    England face Australia in the third and final ODI on Wednesday, with the series tied at 1-1 after Archer's man-of-the-match exploits inspired a stunning 24-run win at Old Trafford on Sunday.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.