Coronavirus: Ireland confirm New Zealand and Pakistan postponements

By Sports Desk May 14, 2020

Ireland will not play an international at home in 2020 after limited-overs games against New Zealand and Pakistan were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Black Caps were scheduled to visit in June and early July, playing a trio of Twenty20 fixtures in Bready before a three-match one-day series at Stormont.

A further two T20 contests were due to take place against Pakistan, listed for July 12 and 14 in Malahide, but those will also not go ahead as originally planned.

The latest update from Cricket Ireland follows on from the cancellation of the three ODIs against Bangladesh in May, though chief executive Warren Deutrom revealed there was no other option in the face of an ongoing global health crisis.

"We deeply regret that we can’t provide any international cricket at home to our fans this year, but we were always up against it with our entire home international programme coming in the first half of the season,” Deutrom said in a statement.

"We want to extend once again our sincere thanks to all those that worked so hard to facilitate what would have been 15 matches across seven venues over three months in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and England.”

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White remains hopeful the tour can be rearranged for a later date, adding: “I know our players, support staff and Black Caps fans were very much looking forward to the upcoming visit and are disappointed this decision needed to be taken."

Ireland are also set to travel to England for three one-dayers in September. It is possible that series is moved from the original dates, Cricket Ireland confirmed, with discussions still ongoing.

Related items

  • Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez to self-isolate after bio-security protocol breach Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez to self-isolate after bio-security protocol breach

    Mohammad Hafeez has been placed in self-isolation on the eve of Pakistan's second Test with England after breaching bio-security protocols by posing for a photo with a member of the public.

    The picture, taken on the golf course adjacent to the on-site hotel at the Ageas Bowl, was posted on the Pakistan all-rounder's Twitter page on Wednesday.

    The course is part of Pakistan's bio-secure bubble but interaction with others is not permitted as per social distancing rules and former skipper Hafeez, who is not a part of the Test squad but there for the limited-overs leg of the tour, must now await the results of a fresh coronavirus test.

    Pakistan said in a statement: "As it was evident from the photograph that Hafeez had breached the two-metre social distancing protocol and following a consultation process with the team doctor, the team management has decided to isolate him until he returns a negative Covid-19 test.

    "Hafeez underwent the Covid-19 test late Wednesday afternoon and the result is expected at some stage on Thursday. The decision to put Hafeez in isolation has been taken for his and, the safety and security of everyone around him.

    "The team management believes it was an inadvertent mistake, but a good reminder for everyone on the importance of following the bio-secure protocols, which have been designed for the health and safety of everyone involved in the series.

    "The team management has updated the England and Wales Cricket Board of its decision."

    Meanwhile, Pakistan have named an unchanged squad for the second Test of their three-match series with England, which they trail 1-0 following an agonising defeat at Old Trafford last week.

    The tourists were undone by a stand of 139 between Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes in their first match back in six months because of the coronavirus pandemic, going down to a three-wicket defeat.

  • Naseem Shah can be a force for Pakistan - Waqar Younis Naseem Shah can be a force for Pakistan - Waqar Younis

    Naseem Shah can be a force for Pakistan and trouble batsmen around the world, according to bowling coach Waqar Younis.

    The teenager made his Test debut at the age of 16 in last year's series with Australia and bowled faster than Jofra Archer in the first match against England last week.

    Naseem took the wicket of Ollie Pope in the first innings and England captain Joe Root in the second innings, though his efforts could not prevent from Pakistan from suffering a three-wicket defeat.

    He will attempt to play an instrumental role in the second Test at the Rose Bowl, which starts on Thursday.

    And Waqar, whose 373 Test wickets put him second on the all-time list for Pakistan behind Wasim Akram, believes improving his fitness to bowl longer spells is key to Naseem realising his potential.

    "He's very talented and he's only 17 years of age, he's still growing but what a talent he is," Waqar told a media conference. 

    "I don't think he really bowled as well as expected in the previous game, but he can really bowl well, he can really take the opposition on at times.

    "He's one for the future, he's going to get stronger and hopefully get fitter and be able to bowl longer spells and will cause trouble to batsmen around the world."

    Asked if Naseem can go on to join him and Akram in the ranks of the Pakistan greats, Waqar replied: "He's young, he's really talented, he's got a very good action, all he needs to do is probably get stronger and fitter.

    "Once he gets fitter and bowls more overs, he will definitely be a force for Pakistan in the next coming few years.

    "When you talk about becoming a great it's very, very difficult to be sure about anyone.

    "Pakistan has over the years produced some really, really quality fast bowlers in the last two and a half/three decades I know.

    "If he keeps himself fit and strong and keeps bowling, I'm sure he's got the potential of becoming a very good bowler."

     

  • Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test

    Jean-Clair Todibo is the Barcelona player who has tested positive for coronavirus, the defender revealed on social media.

    Earlier on Wednesday, the Blaugrana revealed one of their nine players in pre-season training had returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The group - mainly consisting of fringe players - had been kept separate from the first team ahead of their Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich, meaning that match was not impacted.

    Although Barca did not confirm the identity of the coronavirus case, Todibo took to Twitter to inform supporters of his diagnosis.

    "Hello everyone," he wrote. "I inform you that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I am asymptomatic and I feel fine.

    "I am at home following the proper health protocol. I really want to go back to training, but now it's time to stay home until the virus is over.

    "Thank you all for the support, and encouragement to all the people who are also experiencing it closely."

    Todibo joined Barca from Toulouse in January 2019 but has since made just five appearances for the club in all competitions.

    The 20-year-old spent the second half of the 2019-20 season on loan at Schalke but again struggled to secure regular minutes, making only four Bundesliga starts.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.