Albon ends Leclerc streak as Stokes laps up bragging rights over Broad

By Sports Desk May 03, 2020

Alex Albon came out on top in a titanic tussle with Charles Leclerc to win the virtual Dutch Grand Prix, while England cricketer Ben Stokes was able to celebrate despite finishing 13th.

Leclerc had won the previous two races but saw his streak come to an end in the latest round of Formula One's Esports series on Sunday.

The Ferrari driver was involved in a see-saw battle around the famous Interlagos circuit in Brazil, a switch of venue required with the Zandvoort track in the Netherlands not available.

Eventually Albon sealed glory for Red Bull, while Leclerc suffered further disappointment when a three-second penalty relegated him down to third place, meaning a promotion for George Russell.

"I was shaking afterwards. I had so much adrenaline going through my body," Albon told Sky Sports F1. "I feel more scared driving a simulator than the real thing - the pressure was unbelievable."

Leclerc was not too disappointed to have missed out on a hat-trick, saying: "I knew I had the penalty, but after that it was about having fun. I really enjoyed this race."

The other battle of interest in the field turned out to be less eventful, however.

Stokes - who had previously competed in the Australian GP - comfortably finished ahead of his international team-mate Stuart Broad, the latter coming home in 17th at the end of his virtual race debut.

As for the real Formula One season, the coronavirus-hit campaign is hoping to finally begin in Austria in early July.

Related items

  • Hulkenberg plots full-time Formula One return after Alfa Romeo talks Hulkenberg plots full-time Formula One return after Alfa Romeo talks

    Nico Hulkenberg is interested in a full-time return to Formula One and has been speaking extensively with Alfa Romeo team principal Fred Vasseur in recent weeks.

    After eight months out, the German returned with Racing Point at the British Grand Prix after Sergio Perez had been forced to quarantine after returning a positive COVID-19 test.

    A clutch bolt problem prevented him from lining up for his first race back, but he again deputised for Perez at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, claiming third place on the grid in qualifying before finishing seventh.

    The 32-year-old has developed a hunger to get back into F1 and could consider joining Alfa Romeo.

    When asked if he would be tempted to join the team, he told the F1 Nation podcast: "Yes, yes is the short answer.

    "I mean, doing a deal, there's several terms that play into it – it's the whole package, I guess.

    "I'm very keen to go racing again in Formula 1. I still love it here, it's my passion. I'm not desperate but I'd certainly love to come back and be racing again.

    "I've been talking to Fred quite frequently in the last few months…"

    The 2020 season continues this weekend with the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona.

  • Archer thankful for England support and vows: I don't care what others are thinking Archer thankful for England support and vows: I don't care what others are thinking

    Jofra Archer has warned it is "unrealistic" to expect him to bowl at 90mph every ball as he told critics the only opinions that interest him are those from within the England dressing room. 

    There were questions raised about Archer's pace in the first Test against Pakistan, when he struggled to muster the ferocity that typified his entry into the international arena. 

    England are expected to keep faith with Archer for the second match in the series, which begins at Southampton's Rose Bowl on Thursday. 

    Captain Joe Root has been supportive, predicting England "will continue to see very special things" from Archer as long as he continues to learn from the ups and downs in his career. 

    Archer would love to be bowling consistently at an intimidating speed, but he is more concerned with his overall development. 

    "I cannot get away from the fact there is always attention towards the pace I am producing," Archer said in his Daily Mail column. 

    "From my perspective, I know I can bowl one or two 90mph deliveries a spell even when not everything is clicking, but to do it every ball, everything has to be working perfectly in unison and you have to be in that perfect, competitive mind frame. 

    "Not everything comes together all the time. People look back at my debut performance in the Ashes Test at Lord's last year and expect that kind of display everywhere, but it is unrealistic."

    Archer appealed for "more appreciation" of the challenges of fast bowling, and England would not want to push him to strain his body if it meant the Sussex paceman taking any physical risks. 

    The Barbados-born quick has 38 wickets in 10 Tests since making his debut against Australia in last year's Ashes, and with James Anderson and Stuart Broad in the twilight of their careers, England are hoping Archer proves an enduring and potent presence in their attack. 

    "People will judge you how they want and there are a lot of opinions out there. But I am a 25-year-old fast bowler trying to develop my game and the opinions that matter most to me are the ones of my team-mates," Archer said. 

    "As long as Joe Root and my England team-mates are fine, I really don't care what other people are thinking." 

    He added that "as long as the people in and around this circle are understanding - and it 100 per cent seems like they are - I am very happy and in a good head space". 

  • England without Lawrence option for second Pakistan Test England without Lawrence option for second Pakistan Test

    England will not have the option to call up Dan Lawrence for the second Test against Pakistan after the batsman left the squad due to a family bereavement.

    The second Test begins at the Rose Bowl on Thursday, with England leading the series 1-0 thanks to a Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes inspired victory at Old Trafford.

    However, Joe Root will be without one of his star names in Ben Stokes, who left the bio-secure bubble on Sunday to travel to New Zealand for family reasons.

    Though Stokes' place in the side up for grabs, Essex batsman Lawrence will not be selected for his first Test cap after the 23-year-old was granted leave from the squad

    Zak Crawley, who played in the first two Tests against West Indies, seems the likely candidate to replace Stokes, with England confirming a replacement for Lawrence would not be selected.

    Crawley scored 76 in the second innings of the first Test against the Windies, though he was out for a duck and 11 in his two stays at the crease in the following match.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.