Archer in hunt for missing Cricket World Cup medal during lockdown

By Sports Desk April 25, 2020

England paceman Jofra Archer is having a "blast" in lockdown despite being unable to find his Cricket World Cup medal.

Archer has moved into a new flat and has had plenty of time to settle in due to the restrictions imposed in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

However, he has revealed the winner's medal received at Lord's last July following England's World Cup final win over New Zealand is proving to be elusive.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Oh, jeez. So, the funny thing is...I have a portrait that someone did of me and sent to me, so I had the medal hanging on that.

"I moved flats, the picture has been put on a new wall but there's no medal.

"I've turned the house upside down for over a week and still haven't managed to find it."

Archer will continue the search for the biggest prize of his career to date, adding: "Trust me, there's nothing else to do in these conditions!"

The 25-year-old, who was ruled out for around three months after suffering a stress fracture in his right elbow in February, has had no trouble adapting to life during lockdown.

He said: "To be honest with you, I'm having a blast.

"I get to play Call of Duty as long as I want and I still get to train at home. I did play the cricket [video] game last week - I'll probably stick to CoD."

Related items

  • CWI board should have four ex-cricketers' - former WI captain Lloyd calls for inclusion of ex-players at top level CWI board should have four ex-cricketers' - former WI captain Lloyd calls for inclusion of ex-players at top level

    West Indies legend Clive Lloyd has pointed to a continued lack of inclusion of former players at the board level of regional cricket as being a significant hindrance to improving the fortunes of the struggling team.

    Though typically the realm of lifelong administrators and businessmen, the cricket boards of the sport’s big three, England, India, and Australia have included former players at the top level of the game’s governance.  Currently, India is the best example with former captain Sourav Ganguly serving as president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, on a body that also included Brijesh Patel.  The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) recently added former captain Andrew Strauss as a non-voting member but also includes women’s player Lucy Pearson.  For Cricket Australia, Michael Kasprowicz resigned from the board earlier this year but two-time women’s World Cup winner Mel Jones remains a member of the board.

    “The board should have four ex-cricketers.  Knowledgeable, intelligent people who want to take our cricket forward,” Lloyd told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “When I was at Lancashire on the committee, we had 16 or 17 people on the committee, but we had to have six cricketers, that was enshrined in the constitution because it’s a cricket club.  That’s why cricket is taken care of in England.  All the clubs have the same situation.”

    “We do not have a Test cricketer of note on our board.  If you look at all the other boards, Australia have had four captains on their board.  India have had some of their ex-players on their board.  England, who they have coaching the team, and the ECB have their ex-cricketers…cricketers are involved in the development of the game. (In the West Indies) If you decide to be a part of the board and you are somebody of some standing, they don’t seem to want you because they believe you will overshadow them.”

    The current Cricket West Indies (CWI) body does have Michael Findlay, who played Test cricket for the West Indies between 1969 to 1973 along with Julian Charles and Enoch Lewis who played cricket at the regional level.

     

     

     

     

  • Windies legend Lloyd wants better, more 'powerful' WI anthem Windies legend Lloyd wants better, more 'powerful' WI anthem

    Legendary West Indies captain Clive Lloyd believes the time is right for the regional team to consider a new and more ‘powerful’ anthem.

    Politically, with the West Indies operating as several separate countries, it would not be possible to have a national anthem.  Currently, the song ‘Rally Round the West Indies’ by Calypsonian David Rudder, however, serves that purpose.  The song was released in 1987 – before being officially adopted as the team’s ‘national’ anthem by the then West Indies Cricket Board 12 years later.

    Lloyd, however, believes the song possibly lacks the feel, power, and emotional depth of some of the national anthems of member nations that comprise the regional team.  The former skipper made note of a memorable experience, while on tour of Australia.

    “When I was manager, in Australia they play the anthem from both teams.  The president came to me and said Clyde we would like to play the anthem from your country because you are the manager. I said, ‘No sir you would have to play the anthem of Mr. Walsh, he is the captain,” Lloyd recalled recently, on the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “It was performed by an opera singer.  When they sang the Jamaica national anthem, it has some drums and so on, hair grew on parts of my body that I didn’t think I had hair.  It was so powerful.  There was a guy there that was married to a Jamaican woman and tears came to his eyes. I told Walsh, 'if you do not bowl this Australia side out, after listening to this anthem, something must be wrong with you guys'. It was the most powerful thing,” he added.

    “We have great anthems around the islands.  Let us come together and get one anthem that is powerful.  When you listen to all the other anthems, they make you feel proud, they make you feel like doing extraordinary things.  I think this is the time we should have that and one flag.”

     

  • Ancelotti hails 'on fire' Calvert-Lewin ahead of England squad announcement Ancelotti hails 'on fire' Calvert-Lewin ahead of England squad announcement

    Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti hailed "on fire" Dominic Calvert-Lewin after the striker scored his second hat-trick in the space of four matches.

    Calvert-Lewin made it eight goals from five games this term with his treble in Wednesday's 4-1 EFL Cup last-16 victory over West Ham at Goodison Park.

    The 23-year-old opened the scoring in the 11th minute and added two more late on after team-mate Richarlison had cancelled out Robert Snodgrass' equaliser.

    Ancelotti suggested Calvert-Lewin is deserving of a first call-up to the England squad when Gareth Southgate names his side on Thursday.

    "He's doing a fantastic job in the moment. He's really on fire and scoring a lot of goals," said Ancelotti of Calvert-Lewin, who also bagged a hat-trick against West Brom in the Premier League 11 days ago.

    "He's in a very good moment. Whether he's the best [English striker] I don't know, but I don't care. For me, for us, he is."

    Calvert-Lewin, who has scored more goals than any other Premier League player in all competitions this term, is hopeful that he has done enough to win over England boss Southgate.

    "I've said many times before that it's my dream to play for England but I can't control that so I'm taking care of business at the moment to give myself the best chance to make the next step," he said.

    "I'm enjoying my football, which is the main thing. You look at the chances being created and they are there for me so it's my job to put them in the back of the net and I'm obviously enjoying being able to do that at the moment."

    Former Real Madrid playmaker James Rodriguez set up Richarlison for Everton's second goal and has now created 15 chances in four games since joining the club.

    "We've got players who are capable of scoring from different areas of the pitch which is very important," Calvert-Lewin added. "When you've got that, it's a helping hand from everyone on the pitch. 

    "A lot of my goals have been one-touch finishes so it's about getting in the right areas and being the man to put them in the back of the net."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.