Stoinis misses out as Maxwell returns for Australia's South Africa tour

By Sports Desk February 03, 2020

Marcus Stoinis has been overlooked for Australia's limited-overs series in South Africa, while Glenn Maxwell was named in both the ODI and Twenty20 squads.

Stoinis was crowned the Big Bash League player of the tournament, but missed out on selection despite his 612 runs at an average of 55.63 for the Melbourne Stars during the 2019-20 campaign.

The 30-year-old will be on standby for both the ODI and T20 squads, who will each play three matches against South Africa in February and March.

"Marcus Stoinis is a standby player for each squad and was unlucky to miss out due to the makeup of the current top order," Australia national selector Trevor Hohns said in a statement on Tuesday.

"It is terrific to have a backup player of his calibre in such good form.

"Of course there are other unlucky omissions which is always the case when selecting these squads."

Maxwell returns after his exclusion from the ODI squad for last month's matches against India, who won the series 2-1.

Mitchell Marsh, Jhye Richardson and Sean Abbott have also returned, the latter duo only part of the T20 squad.

"These are two very well-balanced squads with a focus on the specific skills each individual offers in their respective roles. The squads include returning players Glenn Maxwell, Mitch Marsh, Jhye Richardson and Sean Abbott," Hohns said.

"It is fantastic to have Glenn back in both squads given his brilliant form in the middle order for the Stars along with his results with the ball. Glenn was one of the first picked in the most recent T20 team at the start of the summer, prior to his break from the game.

"The same can be said for Mitch. He has been in tremendous touch with the bat for the Scorchers since his return from injury and is now back bowling well. His performances warranted inclusion in the area he operates as a powerful middle-order batsman and handy bowler.

"Jhye Richardson also returns to the T20 side from injury with his performances demanding inclusion. He is a terrific young player who has been sensational in all forms of the game; and is an extremely strong fieldsman.

"Matthew Wade is also in red hot form with the bat. He is a very strong fielder; and a great person to have in any team. He can also substitute as wicketkeeper if required."

The T20 series begins in Johannesburg on February 21 before the ODIs start eight days later.

Australia T20 squad: Aaron Finch, Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa.
Australia ODI squad: Aaron Finch, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

Related items

  • England without Lawrence option for second Pakistan Test England without Lawrence option for second Pakistan Test

    England will not have the option to call up Dan Lawrence for the second Test against Pakistan after the batsman left the squad due to a family bereavement.

    The second Test begins at the Rose Bowl on Thursday, with England leading the series 1-0 thanks to a Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes inspired victory at Old Trafford.

    However, Joe Root will be without one of his star names in Ben Stokes, who left the bio-secure bubble on Sunday to travel to New Zealand for family reasons.

    Though Stokes' place in the side up for grabs, Essex batsman Lawrence will not be selected for his first Test cap after the 23-year-old was granted leave from the squad

    Zak Crawley, who played in the first two Tests against West Indies, seems the likely candidate to replace Stokes, with England confirming a replacement for Lawrence would not be selected.

    Crawley scored 76 in the second innings of the first Test against the Windies, though he was out for a duck and 11 in his two stays at the crease in the following match.

  • Stokes to miss rest of Pakistan Test series for family reasons Stokes to miss rest of Pakistan Test series for family reasons

    Ben Stokes will play no further part in England's Test series against Pakistan for family reasons. 

    Stokes, who captained the team in Joe Root's absence for the opener against West Indies in July, has featured in all four Tests played on home soil so far this year.

    However, the 29-year-old – who has been struggling with an injury which restricted him to just four overs of bowling in the victory over Pakistan in Manchester – will not be available for the next two matches, which take place at the Rose Bowl. 

    The all-rounder will instead be heading to New Zealand to spend time with his family, the England and Wales Cricket Board announced in a statement on a Sunday.

    In December, Stokes' father, Ged, fell ill while attending England's tour of South Africa. 

    While his father recovered in hospital after undergoing three operations, Stokes continued to play on for England, helping clinch a 3-1 series triumph over the Proteas. 

    However, England - who went 1-0 up against Pakistan on Saturday - will now be without their vice-captain in Southampton. 

    Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes were the heroes as the hosts chased down a target of 277 to secure a three-wicket triumph at Old Trafford.

  • England never stop believing after Stokes' Ashes heroics – Root England never stop believing after Stokes' Ashes heroics – Root

    Joe Root revealed how Ben Stokes' Ashes heroics at Headingley had England always thinking they could defy the odds and beat Pakistan in a thrilling first Test.

    The hosts claimed the series opener in Manchester as they chased down a target of 277 on a gripping fourth day's play, despite at one stage slipping to 117-5 in their second innings.

    Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes combined to put on a pivotal stand of 139 for the sixth wicket, making 75 and 84 not out respectively as England squeezed home with three wickets to spare.

    Stokes contributed just nine on this occasion but his stunning knock against Australia in 2019, when he made 135 not out in a famous one-wicket win, always offers inspiration to his team-mates, according to Root.

    "We knew it was going to take something special," England's captain told Sky Sports in the post-match presentation ceremony.

    "I think, after last summer, it's very hard to stop believing. We know that anything is possible. 

    "One thing you can never doubt about our dressing room is the character, the way that we always continue to keep believing and never give up. That's a real strong trait of ours. 

    "I'm really proud and please that it has shone through today and the guys have gone on to get us 1-0 up."

    England's victory puts them 1-0 up in the three-match series, a rare situation for Root and his players.

    They have made a habit of losing the opener in recent history, including against West Indies on home soil earlier this year, but now have a lead to defend as the teams head to Southampton.

    "I think the most important thing is we back it up again now. It's been frustrating in many ways [losing the opening game], but ultimately we've got to keep looking forward – and keep learning," Root said.

    "There are definitely things we can take from this game and improve on. But I couldn't be more proud of the character we've shown, the way we approached the day and the clarity in which the way the guys played.

    "On a very tough surface, to score that many runs, shows the ability of the group."

    He added: "I couldn't be more proud of the lads. I thought that the way we approached the day was outstanding, and that partnership between Woaksey and Jos was magnificent.

    "They were very clever about how they went about it, the way they constructed it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.