Stokes named ICC Player of the Year

By Sports Desk January 15, 2020

Ben Stokes has been named ICC Player of the Year after inspiring England to Cricket World Cup glory and playing one of the great Test innings to seal an Ashes victory at Headingley.

Stokes made a magnificent unbeaten 84 as England beat New Zealand in the most dramatic World Cup final at Lord's in July.

The all-rounder went on to guide England to a stunning one-wicket victory with an astonishing 135 not out in the third Test against Australia in Leeds, having also crafted a hundred in the previous match at Lord's.

Stokes scored 821 runs and took 22 wickets in 11 Tests last year, as well as 719 runs and 12 wickets in 20 ODIs to land the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy.

The England vice-captain said: "It is quite flattering to win the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for the ICC Men's Cricketer of the Year. The past 12 months have been incredible for England cricket and to lift the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup for the first time was our greatest achievement.

"This award is testament to my team-mates and the support staff that have been there every step of the way. Fundamentally, without the support of these individuals, we would never have achieved our objective of lifting a major trophy.

"There is an incredible bond between team-mates and to savour our achievements, whether that's winning the World Cup final at Lord's or digging deep to win a Test match against Australia at Headingley. It is satisfying you can accomplish these superb highs together.

"The last 12 months have been the best in my career, and I believe what we attained will be the catalyst to achieve further success over the next few years."

Australia paceman Pat Cummins was named Test player of 2019, while India batsman Rohit Sharma was named the best ODI player in the world.

Cummins' team-mate Marnus Labuschagne is the ICC Men's Emerging Cricketer of 2019 after averaging 64.94 with the bat in the longest format last year.

Related items

  • West Indies on tap to tour New Zealand during home season says NZ Cricket CEO West Indies on tap to tour New Zealand during home season says NZ Cricket CEO

    The West Indies will be among four teams that will tour New Zealand during the home season, according to media reports. The Caribbean side is scheduled to play Tests and T20 Internationals in line with the Future Tours Programme.

     David White, CEO of New Zealand Cricket said the tours would go ahead despite the ongoing pandemic, saying that managed isolation arrangements are being worked out for the visiting teams.

    "We are making tremendous progress. I was just on the phone to the West Indies, they're confirmed, Pakistan is confirmed, Australia and Bangladesh... so 37 days of international cricket," White told reporters in Auckland.

    However, CWI CEO Johnny Grave told Sportsmax.TV that nothing has been confirmed for the Caribbean side to visit New Zealand where there were no reported COVID-19 infections for more than three months.

    The West Indies recently returned from their three-Test bio-secure #Raisethebat series in England. The hosts won the series 2-1.

  • Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez to self-isolate after bio-security protocol breach Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez to self-isolate after bio-security protocol breach

    Mohammad Hafeez has been placed in self-isolation on the eve of Pakistan's second Test with England after breaching bio-security protocols by posing for a photo with a member of the public.

    The picture, taken on the golf course adjacent to the on-site hotel at the Ageas Bowl, was posted on the Pakistan all-rounder's Twitter page on Wednesday.

    The course is part of Pakistan's bio-secure bubble but interaction with others is not permitted as per social distancing rules and former skipper Hafeez, who is not a part of the Test squad but there for the limited-overs leg of the tour, must now await the results of a fresh coronavirus test.

    Pakistan said in a statement: "As it was evident from the photograph that Hafeez had breached the two-metre social distancing protocol and following a consultation process with the team doctor, the team management has decided to isolate him until he returns a negative Covid-19 test.

    "Hafeez underwent the Covid-19 test late Wednesday afternoon and the result is expected at some stage on Thursday. The decision to put Hafeez in isolation has been taken for his and, the safety and security of everyone around him.

    "The team management believes it was an inadvertent mistake, but a good reminder for everyone on the importance of following the bio-secure protocols, which have been designed for the health and safety of everyone involved in the series.

    "The team management has updated the England and Wales Cricket Board of its decision."

    Meanwhile, Pakistan have named an unchanged squad for the second Test of their three-match series with England, which they trail 1-0 following an agonising defeat at Old Trafford last week.

    The tourists were undone by a stand of 139 between Jos Buttler and Chris Woakes in their first match back in six months because of the coronavirus pandemic, going down to a three-wicket defeat.

  • Naseem Shah can be a force for Pakistan - Waqar Younis Naseem Shah can be a force for Pakistan - Waqar Younis

    Naseem Shah can be a force for Pakistan and trouble batsmen around the world, according to bowling coach Waqar Younis.

    The teenager made his Test debut at the age of 16 in last year's series with Australia and bowled faster than Jofra Archer in the first match against England last week.

    Naseem took the wicket of Ollie Pope in the first innings and England captain Joe Root in the second innings, though his efforts could not prevent from Pakistan from suffering a three-wicket defeat.

    He will attempt to play an instrumental role in the second Test at the Rose Bowl, which starts on Thursday.

    And Waqar, whose 373 Test wickets put him second on the all-time list for Pakistan behind Wasim Akram, believes improving his fitness to bowl longer spells is key to Naseem realising his potential.

    "He's very talented and he's only 17 years of age, he's still growing but what a talent he is," Waqar told a media conference. 

    "I don't think he really bowled as well as expected in the previous game, but he can really bowl well, he can really take the opposition on at times.

    "He's one for the future, he's going to get stronger and hopefully get fitter and be able to bowl longer spells and will cause trouble to batsmen around the world."

    Asked if Naseem can go on to join him and Akram in the ranks of the Pakistan greats, Waqar replied: "He's young, he's really talented, he's got a very good action, all he needs to do is probably get stronger and fitter.

    "Once he gets fitter and bowls more overs, he will definitely be a force for Pakistan in the next coming few years.

    "When you talk about becoming a great it's very, very difficult to be sure about anyone.

    "Pakistan has over the years produced some really, really quality fast bowlers in the last two and a half/three decades I know.

    "If he keeps himself fit and strong and keeps bowling, I'm sure he's got the potential of becoming a very good bowler."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.