Buttler sorry for foul-mouthed outburst but questions use of stump mics

By Sports Desk January 12, 2020

Jos Buttler said "red mist" was to blame for his sweary outburst at Vernon Philander, though he has questioned the use of stump mics being turned up in cricket.

England's wicketkeeper-batsman was fined 15 per cent of his match fee after stump mics picked up his expletive-laden rant at Philander, who appeared to peeve Buttler by not moving when a throw came in from a fielder.

The incident occurred on a tense fifth and final day at Newlands, when the tourists eventually got the wickets they needed to seal a 189-run victory inside the last hour.

Buttler noted the situation was a factor in his comments, but admitted they were unacceptable.

"I'd like to apologise, I understand that's not the way to behave," he told BBC's Test Match Special.

"As role models we have a duty to behave in a certain way.

"In Test cricket there are lots of high emotions at times and things can be said that don't necessarily mean anything, but for viewers at home it can come across very poorly.

"Sometimes it's just one of those things, the heat of the moment and a bit of red mist.

"It's all done so hopefully it can be swept under the carpet and we move on. I'll take the slap on the wrists."

However, Buttler hinted that players would prefer stump mics not to be turned up so such incidents could remain between those out on the field.

"It's a tough one," he added.

"We understand it adds to the viewership experience having stump mics and being able to hear what goes on, but we also like that what goes on the field, stays on the field and isn't necessarily heard by everyone at home.

"I'm sure it's up for debate."

England's win meant the best-of-four-match series is level at 1-1 ahead of the third Test, which begins in Port Elizabeth on Thursday.

An illness bug has hindered the tourists throughout their time in South Africa and captain Joe Root was the latest to miss training on Sunday.

"It's obviously a frustration, nobody will miss being at training more than Joe," Buttler said.

"It's been a bit of a story of the tour so far, guys getting ill, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Hopefully it's just today."

Related items

  • Solskjaer tips Greenwood for England after brace against Bournemouth Solskjaer tips Greenwood for England after brace against Bournemouth

    Mason Greenwood took his Premier League tally to eight goals with a brace on Saturday and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has tipped the Manchester United youngster for a future England call-up. 

    The 18-year-old produced clinical finishes in either half as United thrashed Bournemouth 5-2 to move into the Premier League's top four. 

    Only Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney and Robbie Fowler have scored more Premier League goals in a season while aged 18 or younger and that trio all went on to feature for England on multiple occasions. 

    Bradford-born Greenwood has represented his country at various youth levels, debuting for England Under-21s last September, and Solskjaer believes he is on track to make the step up to Gareth Southgate's senior side. 

    Asked if he was "a future England striker", Norwegian Solskjaer told BBC Radio 5 live: "Definitely, if he keeps on developing. 

    "We'll do our best to develop him. I'm just worried about him playing for Man United, not England. 

    "There might be some Norwegian blood in there, I don't know! I don't think so." 

    Solskjaer added of Greenwood: "[He's a] great talent, great finisher and he's learning more and more, growing more and more, [making] better and better decisions on and off the pitch. 

    "He's an exceptional finisher, he can score right foot, left foot. If he can learn how to head a ball he'll be the complete striker." 

    United are now unbeaten in 16 games in all competitions, a streak that dates back to a home loss to Burnley on January 22. 

    This latest victory saw United displace Chelsea in fourth ahead of the Blues' game against Watford later on Saturday, yet Solskjaer insisted there is still a long way to go in the race for Champions League qualification. 

    "I don't think anyone worries or cares about that now, we've got so many games left," he said. 

    "Five games left - we know we have to focus on every single one of them at one time because you can only beat the team you're playing against. 

    "The next one is [Aston] Villa, we'll have a good look at them tomorrow and recover and prepare for that one." 

  • Bairstow and Moeen miss out on England squad for Windies Test Bairstow and Moeen miss out on England squad for Windies Test

    England have opted not to recall Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali for their first Test against West Indies, but Dom Bess does make the 13-man squad.

    Test cricket returns on Wednesday when England meet the Windies behind closed doors in Southampton in the opening Test of a three-match series.

    Ben Stokes will captain the side for the first time as regular skipper Joe Root has left the team bubble to attend the birth of his second child.

    Sam Curran, who has been battling illness, is the only other player to miss out from the XI that faced South Africa in Johannesburg in England's last Test in January.

    The squad for the West Indies Test also includes Rory Burns, James Anderson and Jofra Archer - who were missing at the Wanderers due to injury - and spinner Bess, who played earlier in the South Africa series.

    There is no recall for either Bairstow or Moeen, neither of whom are included on the nine-man reserve list, which does feature Curran.

    Bairstow has not played since scoring a combined 10 across two innings against South Africa in the first Test of that series last December.

    All-rounder Moeen has not featured in the five-day game since the 2019 Ashes having opted out of England's three tours since, though he was named in the 30-man squad that has been training in preparation for the Windies series.

    Uncapped pair James Bracey and Dan Lawrence - both of whom scored half-centuries in the intra-squad match this week - are on the reserve list too along with bowling options Jack Leach, Saqib Mahmood and Ollie Robinson.

  • Drakes says former sprinter Chemar Holder has the pace to torment England Drakes says former sprinter Chemar Holder has the pace to torment England

    Vasbert Drakes says the pace of former sprinter Chemar Holder can make a fierce West Indies attack even more potent in the Test series against England.

    Uncapped 22-year-old Holder was named in the touring party following some outstanding domestic performances for Barbados Pride in the West Indies Championship.

    The Barbadian gave a demonstration of his huge potential back in 2016 when the Windies won the Under-19 Cricket World Cup and could make his senior debut during a three-match series in England, which starts behind closed doors at the Ageas Bowl next Wednesday.

    Former West Indies fast bowler and assistant coach Drakes has helped to nurture Holder's talent and thinks he can cause England problems if he is given an opportunity.

    Drakes told Stats Perform News: "I've known Chemar from a young age, he went to school with my son, Dominic, and they have come through the system together and been part of the group of West Indies Emerging Players.

    "I have done some one-to-one coaching work with him and he's got some good attributes, good skill sets. He's a hard worker and used to be a sprinter, he was a 400 metres runner and also competed in the 1500 metres.

    "When he gets it right, he's consistently in the high 80s [miles per hour]. The only way to find out if he's ready is to throw him in at the deep end against England.

    "He would have played against England A team last year and would have gone to England the year before that as part of the Emerging Players group, so he would have had the experience of bowling in those conditions."

    Kemar Roach was among 12 members of the Windies squad who Drakes worked with before they flew out to England for the first international cricket since the coronavirus pandemic brought the vast majority of sport to a halt.

    Roach was man of the series when West Indies won a Test series against England in the Caribbean last year and Drakes, who was assistant coach for that 2-1 triumph, says he can make a big impact again.

    Asked if Roach will be the spearhead of the attack, he replied: "Absolutely. One of the things he did well last year was he took early wickets.

    "Without giving away too much methodology in how to deconstruct the opposition gameplan and counter them, Kemar Roach has the ability to take early wickets, releasing the ball from wide of the crease and moving away from batsmen - particularly the right-handers.

    "His track record against left-handers is phenomenal and England have some left-handers. Kemar and Jason [captain Holder], they set the tone along with [Alzarri] Joseph and Shannon Gabriel can be a threat with his pace and uncertainty he creates.

    "It will be interesting to see if that combination can work as it did in the Caribbean."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.