Centurion Warner insists Ashes failure wasn't about pressure

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

David Warner insists pressure was never an issue for him despite admitting the Ashes had been a "failure".

The often explosive batsman showed his talent on the second day of Australia's first Test with Pakistan, closing on 151 not out as the hosts reached 312-1 to lead by 72 runs at the Gabba. 

It was a remarkable knock from a man who managed just 95 runs in the Test series against England, where Stuart Broad proved his nemesis. 

But even in the wake of that torrid time, Warner claims he never lost faith in his own ability. 

"I don't feel under pressure at all," he said after posting his 22nd Test century. "For me it's about going out there and backing my ability. 

"If you get selected or don't get selected you've got to accept that. The Ashes for me was a failure but I know what I'm capable of doing.

"I was on the end of a great series by a very good bowler. There was nothing more I could do. I wasn't out of form, I was out of runs. 

"Today I had a little bit of luck. That's what you need in the game. Over there I didn't have much luck at all."

Warner endured some tough treatment in England, and not just from Broad, as the home fans were not shy in reminding him of his involvement in the ball-tampering scandal.

That indiscretion led to a 12-month ban from the sport and Warner used that time to remind himself what matters most.

"To have that time off and the time to reflect, and just get away from the game ... there is a lot more to life than just cricket," he said.

"I really just loved the time I spent home with my family. You don't get that when you're travelling all the time. I really enjoyed that time off.

"Obviously I'm back now and I've got to keep working hard and keep being respectful of the game because it can bite you on the backside very fast."

Related items

  • Smith set for South Africa role as Faul takes over as acting CEO Smith set for South Africa role as Faul takes over as acting CEO

    Cricket South Africa (CSA) has confirmed they are close to appointing Graeme Smith as their new director of cricket.

    The former Proteas captain – who scored over 9,000 runs in 117 Test appearances for his country – had previously released a statement on social media to dismiss speculation he would be taking the role, citing "real concerns", though discussions with the governing body were still ongoing.

    At a press conference on Saturday, president Chris Nenzani announced CSA expects to finalise terms with Smith in the coming days.

    The organisation has also moved quickly to fill the void created by the suspension of chief executive Thabang Moroe on Friday, with Jacques Faul taking over immediately on an interim basis.

    Smith is set to be officially presented next Wednesday, less than three weeks before South Africa begin their four-Test series against England on home soil.

    "I'm happy to announce that we have engaged Graeme Smith. I am confirming that he has agreed that by next week Wednesday all of the negotiations around the contract terms that need to take place would have been concluded," Nenzani told the media.

    "We still have these three days left for engagement on the specific issues around the contract. He and CSA have both agreed that it is important that we conclude this by Tuesday so that on Wednesday we are able to announce to the public a certainty of how we go forward.

    "If you have you have your director of cricket in place, then your selection processes are going to kick in, then your team preparation is going to kick in."

    Faul steps in following the "precautionary" suspension of Moroe – who remains on full pay – due to allegations of misconduct.

    Nenzani revealed they had held discussions with ex-Proteas international Dave Richardson, who previously held the position of chief executive officer for the International Cricket Council (ICC), over a temporary appointment.

    While unable to assist on a full-time basis, Richardson will be available to provide support for Faul, who is CEO of the Titans franchise in domestic cricket.

    "When I spoke to him [Faul], he did not even think for a moment, he said, 'I will come in and lend my support and put my shoulder on the wheel for the benefit of cricket in this country'," Nenzani said.

    On talks with Richardson, he added: "His role will be to offer support and also to be available when required by the acting CEO.

    "That to us ticks the box when we are having stability at that level of management. Up to this moment, we did not have a CEO and, in leadership, you should not allow a vacuum to occur."

  • Anderson, Wood & Bairstow back for England as Moeen absence continues Anderson, Wood & Bairstow back for England as Moeen absence continues

    James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow and Mark Wood have all been recalled by England for the Test series with South Africa.

    Seamer Anderson, his country's leading Test wicket taker, has not appeared on the international stage since tearing his calf in the first Ashes match at Edgbaston in August.

    He and Wood have been taking part in a fast bowling camp in Cape Town, the latter reduced to the role of spectator for the Ashes and the recent tour of New Zealand due to a left knee injury and side strain sustained in the World Cup final in July.

    Wood is not expected to be available for the "earliest matches" of the tour, with Bairstow – who also travelled to Cape Town to work on his batting – restored to the 17-man squad after being omitted from the squad for the Black Caps series.

    Bairstow endured a disappointing Ashes, scoring 50 just once in the five-match series. Moeen Ali, who had been tipped for a possible return to the squad having been dropped after the Edgbaston loss to Australia, is still unavailable for the selection. The all-rounder elected to take a break from the longest format in September.

    Saqib Mahmood is the only player to lose his place. The Lancashire seamer did not feature in either Test in New Zealand.

    Moeen's continued absence means Jack Leach and Matt Parkinson will provide the spin options for the four-Test series.

    National selector Ed Smith said: "It is not predicted that Mark will be available for selection for the earliest matches. However, he will travel with the team and continue his rehab work with the medical staff on tour.

    "There is no exact date given for his return, but the medical team is working towards him becoming fully available for selection during the tour.

    "With that in mind, and given the extended period that James and Mark have had on the sidelines due to injury, it was sensible to have a 17-man squad."

    England play a pair of warm-up matches before the first Test, which begins on December 26 at Centurion.

  • More ducks than your local pond as Maldives quack under pressure More ducks than your local pond as Maldives quack under pressure

    There were nine ducks in Maldives Women's innings as they were comprehensively beaten by Nepal Women in the bronze-medal Twenty20 match at the South Asian Games.

    Aima Aishath was the only batter to score, with seven of the eight runs coming via extras, as Maldives went from six without loss to eight all out.

    There was another impressive bowling display from Anjali Chand, who finished with 4-1 from her four overs, having taken a T20 world-record 6-0 in the previous meeting between the two countries earlier in the competition.

    Nepal's openers Kajal Shrestha and Roma Thapa accrued the nine runs required in 1.1 overs to secure victory with 113 balls remaining.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.