Kohli hails 'great' appointment as Ganguly named BCCI boss

By Sports Desk October 23, 2019

Sourav Ganguly has been named the new president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

The legendary batsman was elected after a general body meeting on Wednesday.

Ganguly was India captain from 2000 to 2005 and guided them to the final of the 2003 Cricket World Cup.

He is sixth on the all-time list of Test run-scorers for India with 7,212, and his 11,363 runs in ODIs rank ninth on the international all-time list.

"I congratulated him. It's great that he has become BCCI president," said India captain Virat Kohli.

Wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha added: "I hope players will immensely benefit after Dada [Ganguly] takes up the new role.

"He has represented the country for a long time and then went on to dominate Indian cricket first as a player then captain.

"He can bring about a lot of improvements as he knows the game inside out. If something is not happening, Dadi can make it happen."

Related items

  • Win over England gives Windies first points on Test Championships table Win over England gives Windies first points on Test Championships table

    Amidst all the excitement and celebration surrounding the West Indies’ four-wicket win over England on Sunday, fans of the Caribbean side might have missed out on something else to celebrate.

  • Holder surprised England left out Broad Holder surprised England left out Broad

    Jason Holder was surprised when England left out Stuart Broad for the first Test of their three-match series against his West Indies side.

    The Windies won a close opening contest by four wickets, with a crucial 95 from Jermaine Blackwood helping the tourists get over the line on day five.

    Broad, who has 485 Test wickets and impressed in South Africa at the end of last year, was left out of the line-up in Southampton by stand-in captain Ben Stokes.

    Stokes also elected to bat first in overcast conditions, a move that came under scrutiny after England managed just 204 in their first innings.

    West Indies captain Holder thought Broad would have played instead of either Jofra Archer or Mark Wood and was happy when Stokes opted to bat after winning the toss.

    "This is a proud moment for us," Holder said in a column for the Daily Mail. "We really wanted to start this Test series well and to begin the way we have by winning the first Test is perfect. 

    "Looking back at the game, it was my preference to bowl first so I didn't mind England deciding to bat and then our bowlers simply bowled their hearts out on a pretty flat pitch. 

    "I was a little surprised England didn't pick Stuart Broad. 

    "His record, particularly in this country, is outstanding and I thought they would leave out either Jofra Archer or Mark Wood. But they put out a high quality attack, that's for sure.

    "As it went on it became close to the complete West Indian performance. There's no doubt the game changer was that fourth afternoon when we took five wickets after tea.

    "Then we were able to finish it off on the last day. It's been a while since we had Shannon Gabriel on the park due to injury so to see him back firing on all cylinders was brilliant. 

    "We were always confident we would get 200 to win but losing three quick wickets and John Campbell to injury wasn't ideal. 

    "But the partnership between Jermaine Blackwood and Roston Chase was just what we wanted and it was really good to see Jermaine going as deep as he did. 

    "This was a career-reviving innings for Jermaine. He's a very exciting player and he grabbed this opportunity with both hands."

    The second Test at Old Trafford, for which Joe Root will return as the hosts' captain following the birth of his second child, starts on Thursday, with West Indies knowing they will retain the Wisden Trophy if they avoid defeat.

  • Devon Thomas understands CPL snub, looks to regional competitions for improvement Devon Thomas understands CPL snub, looks to regional competitions for improvement

    Leeward Islands wicket-keeper batsman Devon Thomas is one of the notable ommissions from this year’s Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL), but according to the Antigua-born cricketer, it was expected.

    Thomas did not have a fantastic CPL for the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots last year, and says he needs to show improvement even though he feels disappointment.

    According to Thomas, who was speaking with the Antigua Observer, his performances over the years matter very little in franchise cricket and what you have done last may count against you.

    “Playing for St Kitts, I have been the second leading scorer over the last few years, so I was a bit disappointed but at the end of the day, it’s a franchise and they are coming with a different plan and different owners,” he said.

    “Also, last year I got a few starts but I didn’t capitalise on those starts so I have to look back on myself and say I let myself down as well,” he said.

    Thomas only scored 180 runs in the CPL last year, even though he had a high-score of 71.

    But Thomas isn’t sitting on his laurels. The 30-year-old is already looking at making an impact in next season’s Super50 and four-day competition for the Leeward Islands Hurricanes.

    “They [LICB] have given us a programme to work with and I think that it was just last week Friday we did a fitness test, a yoyo test, so I’ve been keeping in good shape. I am just lacking of hitting balls, that’s the only thing,” said Thomas.

    “As I’ve said, I have to be more consistent and I wasn’t consistent enough. I did okay in the Super50 but I had a poor run in the Four Day so I have to try and fix those things and have better consistent performances going forward.”

    Thomas was not retained by the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots and had gone into the CPL draft as a result, but was not picked up by any of the other five franchises.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.