New Zealand edge Sri Lanka despite Malinga breaking T20 record

By Sports Desk September 01, 2019

Lasith Malinga claimed his 99th international Twenty20 wicket to move top of the all-time list in the format but New Zealand edged to a five-wicket win over Sri Lanka in Pallekele on Sunday.

New Zealand, who lost the toss and were asked to field, rested Kane Williamson and were without Lockie Ferguson due to a fractured thumb, although the Black Caps said the fast bowler should be fit to face England in a five-match T20 series starting on November 1.

Sri Lanka were 50-1 at the end of an explosive powerplay with opener Kusal Mendis going on to make 79 off 53 balls, while Isuru Udana blasted Seth Rance for 15 off the last three balls of the innings to set a daunting target of 175.

Malinga got the hosts off to a flyer in the reply, bowling Colin Munro for a first-ball duck.

The veteran paceman took the T20 record when removed Colin de Grandhomme, who made a buccaneering 44 off 28 that kept New Zealand in the game before missing a full, straight ball.

Erratic work in the field continued to give the tourists hope and they were ahead on the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method when rain came immediately after debutant Wanindu Hasaranga snared Ross Taylor (48 off 29), the batsman unsuccessfully reviewing the lbw verdict having earlier been dropped.

When play resumed New Zealand needed 18 off the last two overs and Malinga returned to the attack.

But a wild wide cost five runs and Daryl Mitchell lifted a full ball over the ropes, before hitting the winning runs off Udana to seal a thrilling victory with three balls to spare.

The three-match series resumes in Kandy on Tuesday.

Related items

  • Steve Smith available to captain Australia again as two-year leadership ban ends Steve Smith available to captain Australia again as two-year leadership ban ends

    Could Steve Smith ever captain Australia again? That is a question that took on new relevance on Sunday after Smith's two-year leadership ban ended.

    Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were suspended from cricket after a ball-tampering scandal on the 2018 tour of South Africa.

    A scheme was cooked up to use sandpaper to doctor the ball, with Smith being aware of the plan but doing nothing to prevent it going ahead.

    Disgraced by the incident, Smith was served with a one-year playing ban that began on March 29, 2018, with a further 12-month suspension from leading Australia in any format of the game.

    That period has now expired, which could open the door for Smith to return to the captaincy, although Tim Paine is the current Test skipper and Aaron Finch has the limited-overs job locked down.

    Paine, 35, has hinted he may be nearing the end of his Test career, while 30-year-old Smith previously flourished in the role and has shone as a batsman since returning to the team.

    Smith has attempted to deflect questions about returning to his former job as Australia's Test leader.

    Speaking in November 2019, he said: "My record probably is better when I'm captain than when I'm not. That sort of pressure doesn't really bother me. But I'm not thinking about captaincy or anything at this point in time.

    "I'm really comfortable where I’m at and I’m enjoying what I’m doing."

  • On this day in sport: A key date for NHL great Gretzky and another World Cup for Australia On this day in sport: A key date for NHL great Gretzky and another World Cup for Australia
  • Coronavirus: Foster agrees big pay cut, doubts All Blacks will play in July Coronavirus: Foster agrees big pay cut, doubts All Blacks will play in July

    New Zealand head coach Ian Foster has agreed to a "big" cut in his salary during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Foster confirmed he and his fellow coaches have already reached an agreement with New Zealand Rugby, while discussions with players are also at an advanced stage.

    "Our coaching group has definitely taken a big cut," Foster said to Newstalk ZB.

    "That's already been agreed to - with rugby when there's no games, there's no revenue, and that's a tough thing. There's been a lot of shaving of the programmes inside and what it's also come down to is cutting.

    "It's a different sort of process for players but I know they're willing to go into that space too.

    "Theirs is a more complex [situation] - but it's a given and they understand that. It's just a matter of working it through so all the different levels of players are dealt with fairly.

    "I haven't heard one player yet who doesn't accept that it's going to happen. There's a real willingness of those involved in the game to get behind this and do whatever it takes to make sure [the game] survives."

    Foster believes the three home Test matches scheduled for July, two against Wales and another against Scotland, are unlikely to go ahead.

    He wants the All Blacks players to maintain a base level of fitness, though conceded a "short period" would still be needed after the lockdown to up their levels to full match readiness.

    "If you look at the probability, there's a reasonably good chance that international travel and borders won't be down across the world at that point, so in that case the All Blacks won't be playing in July,” he added.

    "[If we keep players at peak fitness] they'll just blow out mentally and get really frustrated with that because there’s so much uncertainty.

    "We want the players to settle down then we'll start expecting fitness levels to be at a certain point that when the lockdown finishes and we do start to think about a starting point for rugby again."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.