Shahzad suspended by Afghanistan Cricket Board

By Sports Desk August 10, 2019

Mohammad Shahzad has been suspended by the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) due to alleged breaches of the board's code of conduct.

The former captain faces disciplinary action for repeatedly travelling out of the country without permission, the ACB said.

Wicketkeeper-batsman Shahzad's suspension comes two months after he threatened to quit international cricket, claiming he was wrongly withdrawn from the Cricket World Cup squad.

Shahzad was replaced by Ikram Ali Khil early in the tournament after being ruled out of the rest of the competition with a knee injury, but stated he had been cleared to play by a doctor in London.

The 32-year-old is now facing an uncertain future following the ACB's decision to suspend him.

An ACB statement released on Saturday said: "The Afghanistan Cricket Board today suspended the contract of wicketkeeper batsman Mohammad Shahzad for an indefinite period due to breach of ACB's code of conduct by the player.

"As per ACB's policies, any player travelling out of the country is required to seek the permission of ACB. Shahzad has not adhered to this, repetitively.

"Mohammad Shahzad has also breached the ACB code of conduct previously and was recently called for questioning by the ACB discipline committee in relation to a disciplinary matter during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

"Mohammad Shahzad did not attend meetings scheduled with the discipline committee on 20th and 25th of the last month. The discipline committee will meet after Eid-ul Adha holidays to assess the breaches by Mohammad Shahzad and make a decision to be publicised soon.

"ACB has well-equipped training and practice facilities within the country and Afghan players do not require to travel abroad for such purposes."

Related items

  • Ashes 2019: Third Test on a knife-edge as Stokes and Bairstow imbue England with hope Ashes 2019: Third Test on a knife-edge as Stokes and Bairstow imbue England with hope

    Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow's unbroken 79-run stand had England believing they could keep the Ashes alive by recording an incredible win over Australia at Headingley.

    Chasing 359 for victory in the third Test - a target which would represent England's highest successful chase in the longest format - only one wicket fell in the morning session as Stokes and Bairstow, unbeaten on 32 and 34 respectively, not only saw off the threat of the new ball but prospered.

    The pendulum swung in Australia's favour when England captain Joe Root (77) charged at Nathan Lyon and an inside edge onto his pad looped over wicketkeeper Tim Paine before David Warner flung himself across to take a brilliant catch.

    Just three runs had been added to the overnight total of 156-3 at that point but Stokes and Bairstow cut loose and darted between the wickets as Australia, seeking a victory that would ensure they retained the urn, became increasingly frustrated with England 238-4 at lunch, 121 runs from victory.

    Stokes had made two from 50 deliveries on Saturday and was struck on the helmet by a Josh Hazlewood bouncer, the ball shattering the batsman's neck guard, during a 25-ball scoreless start to the first session.

    However, after Root fell, both he and Bairstow looked to take the attack to Australia, with Stokes at one point pulling Pat Cummins for a maximum as England dared to dream.

  • Ashes 2019: I'm getting good at concussion tests, jokes Labuschagne Ashes 2019: I'm getting good at concussion tests, jokes Labuschagne

    Marnus Labaschagne joked he is "getting pretty good at answering the questions" in concussion tests after taking another Jofra Archer bouncer to the head in the third Ashes Test.

    Labaschagne became the first concussion substitute in the second match at Lord's when star Australia batsman Steve Smith was unable to continue following a blow from England ace Archer.

    The stand-in was himself then struck by Archer but battled on to prove his worth in a hard-fought draw, earning a place in the team for the third match as Smith failed to recover in time.

    Labaschagne improbably took another whack from the fast bowler early on Saturday in Leeds and received his second concussion test of the series, later acknowledging an increasing familiarity with the process.

    "I'm getting pretty good at answering the questions," he told reporters. "I remember the questions from two days ago.

    "You don't like getting in the head but it wakes you up. To be fair, today was a bit stiff.

    "It came back a long way, I kept trying to sway and sway and ran out of room - my back's not that flexible. You just want to make sure you're watching the ball.

    "It's a bit of a laugh now. He comes on and I say, 'Doc, I'm fine'. He knows now. If I do get hit properly, there will be a clear difference. The last two have been glancing blows."

    Asked how the concussion tests go, Labaschagne continued in good humour as he reeled off examples of questions.

    "'Who's the bowler at the other end?' 'Who's the last wicket?' 'How was he out?' Who you're playing against," he said. "You don't want to get that one wrong.

    "You're only playing one team; if you get that wrong, you're probably getting marched off!"

  • Kohli and Rahane secure big India lead on day three Kohli and Rahane secure big India lead on day three

    India built a commanding 260-run lead over West Indies with seven second-innings wickets still in hand at the close of play on the third day of the first Test.

    Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane enjoyed an unbroken partnership of 104 for the fourth wicket at North Sound, with a successful chase for the Windies becoming increasingly improbable with each passing ball.

    The hosts had been 189-8 at the start of play and quick Indian progress had them all out for 222, 75 runs short of the tourists' first-innings total.

    That gave the India batsmen a platform to build from and, despite a minor wobble as wickets fell in consecutive overs in the second session, their advantage continued to steadily increase.

    Kohli was on 51 and Rahane on 53 as the Windies struggled for crucial further breakthroughs, with India closing on 185-3.

    The growing deficit was harsh on home captain Jason Holder, who at least battled bravely after returning to the crease on 10 on Saturday morning.

    He made it to 39 before Mohammed Shami got India up and running for the day with an edge behind.

    The innings swiftly closed as Miguel Cummins went to Ravindra Jadeja for a 45-ball duck, giving India a healthy lead.

    Mayank Agarwal provided only minor improvement on his first knock of five as he departed lbw to Roston Chase for 16, although replays showed he would have survived had he ignored partner KL Rahul and reviewed.

    Rahul (38) kept going and put on 43 with Cheteshwar Pujara (25) until, in a rare and brief swing of momentum, the duo surprisingly lost their wickets in quick succession to leave their side on 81-3.

    Chase benefited from more questionable Rahul decision-making when an attempted sweep left middle stump exposed, before Kemar Roach went straight through Pujara.

    Yet that only brought Kohli and Rahane to the crease and neither man appeared in any mood to deliver similar gifts, digging in and slowly but surely cranking up the score.

    Rahane was fortunate to see Holder opt against reviewing a non-lbw call just before his half-century, but that was as testing as it got for India late in the day.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.