Runs are 'gold dust' in Adelaide Test, says India star Ashwin

By Sports Desk December 07, 2018

Ravichandran Ashwin believes runs will prove to be "gold dust" in the opening Adelaide Test between Australia and India.

After two days, the bowlers have largely got the better of the batsmen. The tourists were all out for 250, although Cheteshwar Pujara made 123, before Australia struggled to 191-7 at stumps on Friday.

But while the remaining Australia batsmen - including Travis Head on an unbeaten 61 - will be looking to kick on, Ashwin similarly wants to improve further.

The India bowler has figures of 3-50, yet he does not believe his side have the upper hand at this stage.

"It's why I was bowling an extra spell after tea as well, to try to make sure that we don't give any more runs away," he told a news conference.

"I see it as neck and neck as far as the game goes right now. Whoever gets the momentum from hereon obviously has the edge in this Test match, so I feel it's extremely well poised.

"Every run is going to be gold dust from here."

Explaining his success in removing Marcus Harris (26), Shaun Marsh (2) and Usman Khawaja (28), Ashwin said: "To be very precise, there is not a lot happening off the straight or fizzing through, nothing like that.

"I was getting drift both ways, in and out, and I was able to control both that drift and get the batsmen holding their feet inside the stump and outside the stump and hence hold them.

"That's how we got Khawaja out and Marsh out as well. That's something that really worked in my favour because of the drift, the ball going away and coming back in.

"It happens in Melbourne, too, so I am backing on that to give me some really good results."

Related items

  • Windies confident but concerns over 'death' bowling Windies confident but concerns over 'death' bowling
  • What are your expectations of the Windies in this ODI series against England? What are your expectations of the Windies in this ODI series against England?
  • Henderson joins Ireland squad for Rome trip Henderson joins Ireland squad for Rome trip

    Lock Iain Henderson is set to be involved in the Six Nations for the first time this year after linking up with the Ireland squad.

    Henderson was named in the initial group for the tournament, yet a finger injury kept him out of the opening two matches against England and Scotland.

    But having made his return ahead of schedule for Ulster last week, the 26-year-old has been named in the squad to face Italy in Rome this weekend, along with Tadhg Beirne, who has also been out.

    A citing complaint has been made against Henderson for an incident in the game against Ospreys on Friday.

    It was confirmed earlier in the week that Chris Farrell had been in full training despite a head injury last time out and he makes the 34-man group, but not all of Ireland's fitness concerns have been eased.

    Garry Ringrose and Rhys Ruddock are both suffering with hamstring issues and will continue rehabilitation with Leinster.

    Meanwhile, Will Addison is not involved as he experiences back stiffness and remains with Ulster.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.