England made light work of New Zealand as they won their Twenty20 opener in a rematch of the dramatic Cricket World Cup final.

New Zealand lost a thrilling World Cup decider to England on boundary count-back in July and that heartbreaking defeat was still fresh in the memory of both sides.

However, hosts the Black Caps were unable to exact a form of revenge as England cruised to a seven-wicket victory with nine balls remaining in the opening game of a five-match series in Christchurch on Friday.

James Vince top scored with 59 but captain Eoin Morgan (34 not out) hit the winning runs – a six – to lead England to 153-3, in pursuit of New Zealand's 153-5 target.

Playing without star captain Kane Williamson due to a right hip injury, New Zealand were sent into bat by England at Hagley Park and made a slow start.

England debutant Sam Curran – in the side as the tourists rested many of their World Cup stars ahead of the Test series – struck the first blow, dismissing Martin Guptill (2) in the third over.

Curran was then clubbed for three sixes within four balls by Colin Munro (21) and Tim Seifert (32) as the Black Caps duo tried to spark their team's innings.

However, Chris Jordan (2-28) removed Munro in his first over before Adil Rashid's wicket of Colin de Grandhomme (19) left New Zealand 72-3 in the 11th over.

New Zealand managed to surpass the 150-run mark on a good batting deck, but they lost wickets whenever a promising partnership threatened as Seifert and Ross Taylor (44) – who fell victim to another debutant in Pat Brown (1-33) – departed and Daryl Mitchell finished unbeaten on 30.

England were comfortable in reply as they reached 37 without loss before Dawid Malan (11) succumbed to Mitchell Santner in the sixth over.

Black Caps spinner Santner tried to stop England almost singlehandedly, having claimed all New Zealand's wickets with figures of three for 23 after sending Jonny Bairstow (35) and Vince back to the pavilion.

However, it was another successful day for England against New Zealand following the country's stunning Rugby World Cup semi-final triumph over the All Blacks in Japan last week.

Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell is taking a short break from cricket to address "difficulties" relating to his mental health.

Maxwell played and performed well in the opening two games of Australia's Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka but will not be involved in Friday's third and final match at the MCG following a discussion with coach Justin Langer.

Western Australia and Hobart Hurricanes batsman D'Arcy Short replaces him in the squad.

"Glenn Maxwell has been experiencing some difficulties with regards to his mental health," said team psychologist Michael Lloyd.

"As a result, he will spend a short time away from the game. Glenn was proactive in identifying these issues and engaging with support staff."

Australia coach Langer commended the short-form star for being open and honest about his struggles, which he said became more noticeable before last week's win in Adelaide.

Maxwell hit a quickfire 62 in that match and appeared to be in a jovial mood during Wednesday's second game at the Gabba as he spoke freely with broadcasters while wearing a microphone on the field.

"That's the mask he puts on, it's his armour, his energy and the way he plays," Langer told reporters in Melbourne.

"He's the great entertainer but underneath the mask - you probably just sense it.

"When you build relationships with people you sense when they're not quite right and I asked him the day before the Adelaide game and that's when he said we probably need that little chat.

"It took a lot of courage for him to say he wasn't feeling right."

Head coach of the newly formed West Indies Emerging Players squad Floyd Reifer insists the primary focus of taking part in the upcoming Colonial Medical Insurance Super50 Cup is primarily about developing talent and not winning.

The former Windies interim coach has been given the task of honing the talent of players who might miss out on a spot in the various franchises due to heated competition for places.  Reifer is confident that there is plenty of talent to work with.  He also previously served as head coach of the Combined Campuses & Colleges Marooners.

“I expect to see some good performances from the players. It’s a very young side that we have put together. There is a lot of talent in the squad, so I am eager and looking forward to working with the players. I want to see them put their energies into the tournament and winning a few games, but for me, it’s about developing the talent that is there and making sure that at the end of the tournament there is some form of improvement, individually and as a team,” Reifer said.

“I think it is a balanced squad. We also have a few players in the squad that will be preparing for the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2020 South Africa, so they will be looking to have a good outing in the tournament,” he added.

“We have some young players in the squad in the fast bowling department, so the bowling attack looks promising. In terms of the batting, I have not seen many of the players previously, but I am ready and willing to work with them and see what they have to offer.”

The Emerging Players squad have been pooled with last year’s losing finalists Guyana Jaguars, as well as hosts and 11-time champions Trinidad & Tobago Red Force, recent winners Windward Islands Volcanoes and the United States for Group “B” matches which will be played at the Queen’s Park Oval and Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Trinidad for this year’s Super50 Cup.

 

Darren Gough will join the England coaching staff as the tourists prepare for a two-Test series in New Zealand.

The 49-year-old former fast bowler will join the squad in Auckland on November 5 and work with the team for two weeks, as England bid to win a Test series in New Zealand for the first time since 2008.

The England and Wales Cricket Board said Gough will be the team's fast bowling consultant and added that he is a qualified level three cricket coach.

"It is a tremendous honour to be asked by Chris Silverwood and Ashley Giles to be involved in this elite environment," Gough said.

"I very much look forward to working with all the bowlers and helping them improve. I will gain a lot from the experience and to work at this level will benefit me as a coach for the long term. I can't wait to get cracking."

New England coach Silverwood played with Gough at Yorkshire, and said: "I'm delighted to have Darren on board. I have known him a long time and his vast knowledge and experience at international level will drive our bowling unit forward leading into the two-match Test series.

"He will be excellent around the group and will settle in quickly."

England director of cricket Giles also played alongside Gough for the national team.

Gough took 229 wickets in 58 Test matches for England at an average of 28.39. He played 159 one-day internationals too, in which he claimed 235 wickets.

New Zealand will host England in five Twenty20 internationals, starting from November 1, before the Test series begins.

The first Test will be played at Mount Maunganui, beginning on November 20.

Sri Lanka assistant coach Rumesh Ratnayake was "gutted" after another poor batting performance proved costly against Australia in a Twenty20 international.

Chasing 234 to win the series opener in Adelaide, Sri Lanka were restricted to 99-9 last Sunday.

And another one-sided contest played out in Brisbane on Wednesday, as the tourists were bowled out for 117 with one over to spare.

Just two Sri Lanka batsmen passed 20 as quicks Billy Stanlake and Pat Cummins and spinners Ashton Agar and Adam Zampa took two wickets each.

Australia then chased down a victory target of 118 in 13 overs, with David Warner (60 not out) and Steve Smith (53 not out) guiding their side to a convincing nine-wicket win.

"Disappointed is ... I think it's too nice a word," Ratnayake told reporters, with Australia now holding an unbeatable 2-0 series lead with one to play.

"I'm gutted, really. The boys are gutted. But [it is] unacceptable because the way we batted ... [it was] as if we, at times, we thought we were going to be all out in the 12th over or so.

"We are going to rectify it. We are going to sort of revisit [it] in our meetings and see what went wrong. It is intent which I feel was not there."

Sri Lanka entered the three-match series in Australia fresh off a 3-0 whitewash of world number one side Pakistan.

Making that triumph even better was the fact it came in Pakistan, but Sri Lanka have struggled on the fast, bouncy Australian pitches.

Ratnayake said it was a priority to correct that ahead of next year's T20 World Cup, to be played in Australia from October to November.

"Our preparation needs to be much more ... it needs to have at least a period of six weeks," he said.

"We came directly - virtually directly from Pakistan. The sub-continent wickets are different from these ... no excuses though.

"Adaptation was the thing which we did not do in the past two matches."

Australia paceman Stanlake was pleased with his night's work but preferred to talk up former Test captain Smith, who caught the eye with a terrific half-century.

"It's exciting for us. I think it's exciting for the public as well, just to watch him play T20 cricket," Stanlake said.

"Obviously, they don't get to see him do that too much.

"But yeah, he is an absolute class player, you saw how he good was tonight, again. He does it in all formats and hopefully we can see him doing it often."

The three-match Twenty20 international series concludes in Melbourne on Friday.

David Warner and Steve Smith each produced unbeaten half-centuries as Australia breezed to a nine-wicket victory over Sri Lanka and secured a Twenty20 series win.

Australia enjoyed a record margin of victory in the opening contest of the three-match series, triumphing by 134 runs, and it quickly became apparent matters would be similarly straightforward at the Gabba.

Sri Lanka batted first and could not see out the 20 overs as they were all out for 117 with Kusal Perera top-scoring on a measly 27.

Captain Aaron Finch's first-ball dismissal for the hosts was then as good as it got for Sri Lanka with the ball, as Smith joined Warner for a straightforward chase, which was completed with seven overs still remaining.

The opener made 60 and Smith added 53 as Australia (118-1) clinched the series with a match to spare, ahead of surely more taxing T20 and Test outings against Pakistan next month.

Sri Lanka did not help themselves after winning the toss and electing to bat, with a terrible mix-up seeing Kusal Mendis run out in just the second over.

Australia never ceded control and shared the wickets around as Ashton Agar (2-27) accounted for the potentially dangerous duo of Avishka Fernando (17) and Perera.

Alex Carey was busy behind the wicket, stumping both Wanindu Hasaranga and Lasith Malinga off the bowling of Adam Zampa (2-20).

Billy Stanlake took 2-23 and Pat Cummins 2-29, before the latter ran out Lakshan Sandakan to bring another dismal Sri Lanka innings to a close.

Opening bowler Malinga then gave the tourists brief hope as Finch was caught down the leg side by Perera, though that wicket merely brought Smith to the crease.

An unbroken partnership of 117 was speedy enough without being truly explosive, with 15 fours - four of them in the fifth over alone - but no maximums between Warner and Smith.

Sandakan made a mess of a late attempted run-out of Smith, and Australia had seven overs to spare when Hasaranga bowled a wide past Warner to complete a simple chase.

A Cricket West Indies Disciplinary Panel has suspended Hayley Matthews for eight matches for an unnamed infraction.

A truly professional approach from all stakeholders will be required to make the West Indies a force in world cricket once more, says newly head coach Phil Simmons.

India will play their first day-night Test against Bangladesh in a historic clash in Kolkata in November.

An announcement from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) confirmed that the second match between the sides, scheduled for November 22-26, will be played under lights.

India's first pink-ball match comes four years after Australia and New Zealand played the maiden day-night Test in Adelaide.

"I'm pleased to announce that our long-term partner, the BCB, has graciously agreed to play a day-night Test match," BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said.

"This is the beginning of something special in Indian cricket ... for me, as [a] former captain of India and as the current president of the BCCI, Test cricket is of utmost priority and we, at the BCCI, will leave no stone unturned to bring this format back to its feet.

"In this effort of ours, day-night Test cricket is a huge step forward and we believe it will bring back the crowd into stadiums and [bring] a whole lot of young children to the sport.

"I am extremely honoured that the Eden Gardens will host the inaugural day-night Test match ... I thank the Bangladesh Cricket Board president Mr Nazmul Hassan and his team for accepting our request on such a short notice."

Hassan said that the BCB and BCCI "share a very long history of support, co-operation and friendship". 

The Test will follow the series opener in Indore that begins on November 14.

Bangladesh's tour of India will begin with Twenty20 clashes in Delhi, Rajkot and Nagpur on November 3, 7 and 10 respectively.

Day-night Test cricket has been only played in Australia, United Arab Emirates, England, South Africa, New Zealand and the West Indies.

Noted sports attorney Dr Emir Crowne is warning regional professional cricketers to be wary of dubious establishments seeking to represent them.

Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan has been handed a two-year suspension from all forms of cricket after accepting three charges relating to breaches of the ICC anti-corruption code.

Shakib's ban, one year of which is suspended, comes after he contravened article 2.4.4 of the code on multiple occasions, the International Cricket Council said.

That part of the code compels cricketers to disclose full details of "any approaches or invitations received to engage in corrupt conduct" to the governing body's anti-corruption unit (ACU).

"I am obviously extremely sad to have been banned from the game I love, but I completely accept my sanction for not reporting the approaches," world number one all-rounder Shakib said in a statement released by the ICC.

"The ICC ACU is reliant on players to play a central part in the fight against corruption and I didn't do my duty in this instance.

"Like the majority of players and fans around the world, I want cricket to be a corruption-free sport and I am looking forward to working with the ICC ACU team to support their education programme and ensure young players don't make the same mistake I did."

The first charge relates to the Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe Tri-Series in January 2018 and/or that year's IPL; the second to another approach in respect of the same Tri-Series; and the third to an IPL match between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kings XI Punjab on 26 April 2018.

In its summary of the background to the case, the ICC detailed the various instances where there was contact, via WhatsApp, between Shakib and a man "suspected of involvement in corruption in cricket".

Shakib has appeared in all three formats for his country, with 56 Tests under his belt and 206 ODI outings.

The 32-year-old's ban is effective immediately.

West Indies Test captain, Jason Holder, believes the time is ripe for him to make his mark in the shortest form of the game he has risen to the top of in its more traditional form.

The Jamaica Tallawahs are planning changes amidst an overhaul to the team that finished at the bottom of the CPL table last season.

Shemar Edwards and Kirk McKenzie, two emerging young cricketers from Jamaica's Kingston Cricket Club were on Monday beneficiaries of full player kits from the Caribbean Premier League franchise, the Jamaica Tallawahs.

Page 5 of 115
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.