West Indies coach Phil Simmons is not be concerned that the life-changing contract awarded to Sheldon Cottrell to play for the Kings XI Punjab in this season’s Indian Premier League (IPL) will impact his cricket.

Windies star Chris Gayle extended hearty congratulations to Australian David Warner who continued his purple patch of form with an unbeaten 335 during the second Test match against Pakistan at Adelaide Oval.

The knock elevated Warner to exclusive company become one of 31 players to ever achieve the feat.   The left-hander also became the second-highest scorer ever for Australia behind Matthew Hayden’s 380 against Zimbabwe in 2003.  Gayle, who also features prominently on the list, had scored 333 against Sri Lanka in Galle in 2010, congratulated the Australian batsman via social media platform Twitter.

“Welcome to the Triple club, @davidwarner31 - Top stuff,” Gayle tweeted.

Warner, who served a 12-month ban from the sports after being punished for ball-tampering, beat Donald Bradman’s record of 299, set against South Africa in 1931-32, for the highest test score at the Adelaide Oval.  The player also produced the biggest innings ever in the day-night Test cricket format.  Australia captain Tim Paine declared at 589-3 on day two against Pakistan.

 

 

 

Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) team Chattogram Challengers have threatened action against Windies star Chris Gayle if he does not show up for the upcoming tournament.

The 40-year-old left-handed superstar insisted that he would take a break from the sport earlier this week, on the back of a disappointing campaign for Jozi Stars in South Africa’s Mzansi Super League.  Gayle, who also turned down an invitation to represent the West Indies in the One Day International series against India, was picked by the Challengers to play in the tournament, which begins on December 11.

While the player insisted he was surprised to be included in the list, the franchise insists negotiations were conducted through his agent.

“His agent confirmed Chris was aware about it,” Challengers team director Jalal Yunus said.

“Now if he does not come, we will seek a player outside the draft. But I feel (Bangladesh Cricket Board) BCB should take action in such cases to keep discipline.”  Yunus claims the team had not heard from Gayle for several days ahead of his comments on Monday.

According to the BCB, all protocol was followed by the team in their drafting of the West Indian. 

“We maintain all the standard procedures when any national cricketer’s name came for the players’ draft,” Bangladesh Cricket Board chief executive Nizamuddin Chowdhury.

“Either a player or his agent can show his interest and put the name in the list.  I have checked the process, and everything was done according to a standard process.”

 

Following a disappointing campaign in South Africa's Mzansi Super League (MSL) West Indies batsman Chris Gayle is claiming he does not get respect.

Veteran West Indies opener Chris Gayle has announced that he is taking a break for the remainder of the year.

West Indies opener Chris Gayle has quickly shrugged off the disappointment of not being able to land a place in the inaugural 100,and is still continuing to be one of the first names to be called when it comes to any new form of limited overs cricket.

Gayle is one of the names being touted as being part of the Ultimate Kricket Challenge in Dubai in February of 2020.

The event, a five-day extravaganza, will also include the likes of Andre Russell, Kevin Pietersen, Yuvraj Singh, and Shahid Afridi.

The dates have been tentatively set for February 18 to 23 in a format that includes one-on-one cricket.

The two cricketers facing off against each other will face 30 balls and can be out five times. The matches will be determined by the number of runs scored.

“I can’t wait to have a practice run. It’s a new and exciting format and its growth depends on how we start the first edition,” said Yuvraj.

“This is going to be huge,” said Kevin Pietersen on Twitter, sharing the same sentiment as Gayle.

Gayle has been the main proponent of short-form cricket, dominating the statistics as a T20 batsman, leading compatriots of huge talent.

The Universe Boss, has so far, had the most runs in T20s (13,051), the most centuries (22), the most sixes (960), most man-of-the-match awards, to go along with the highest individual score (175 not out).

T20 batting legend Chris Gayle might have priced himself out of the inaugural Hundred Draft held on Sunday.

Newly appointed Windies chairman of selectors Roger Harper confirmed veteran batsman Chris Gayle was unavailable for the upcoming series against Afghanistan but suggested the panel would focus on younger talent going forward.

Speculation has continued to surround the future of the star batsman after he announced plans to retire, following the ICC World Cup earlier this year.  The 40-year-old, however, appeared to have a change of heart and went on to claim that the team's series again India, following the cricketing showpiece, would instead be his final. 

Controversy, however, erupted with many suggesting the batsman should hang up his tips and allow for the development of younger players.  Following the series against India, Gayle was again quick to insist that he was in no hurry to retire.  With young openers like Evin Lewis and Brandon King included in the squad, Harper suggested it was time to give younger players an opportunity to showcase their skills.

“Gayle told us he is unavailable for Afghanistan Series, but we all know Chris, he is a world-class player with a tremendous record and of course it’s difficult to replace Chris Gayle,” Harper explained.

"But I think going forward it is in a way an opportunity for young players to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves as we look ahead to the next two T20 World Cups in 2020 and 2021 and the future.”

There was no room for veteran Windies opener Chris Gayle as the new Cricket West Indies selection panel named squads for all three formats for the team’s series against Afghanistan.

The 40-year-old batsman was expected to retire from the sport following this year’s World Cup but had a change of heart.  The player had also targeted the India home tour as possibly his final appearance for the regional team but insisted following the series that he had not retired.

Despite the absence of the talismanic player, however, there are several noted returnees.  As expected, having been appointed captain of the ODI and T20 teams Kieron Pollard returns to the white ball team for the first time in three years.  Pollard replaced Holder as captain of the ODI team and Carlos Brathwaite as leader of the T20 team.  While Holder has been included in all three formats, Brathwaite has been dropped from the squad. 

Fresh off successful campaigns in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) Guyana Amazon Warriors opening batsman Brandon King and Barbados Tridents spinner Hayden Walsh Jr have been included in the T20 and ODI formats.  Lendl Simmons, who also put together a solid campaign for Trinbago Knightriders, has also been included in the T20 squad. 

Promising young pace bowler Alzarri Josephs, who missed the World Cup due to injury, will also return to the team for all three formats.

 

Test squad: Jason Holder (Captain), Shai Hope, John Campbell, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shimron Hetmyer, Shamrah Brooks, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Sunil Ambris, Jomel Warrican, Rahkeem Cornwall, Kemar Roach, Keemo Paul, Alzarri Joseph

ODI squad: Kieron Pollard (Captain), Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Sunil Ambris, Nicholas Pooran, Brandon King, Roston Chase, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh Jr., Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Keemo Paul, Alzarri Joseph, Romario Shepherd.

T20I squad: Kieron Pollard (Captain), Nicholas Pooran, Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer, Sherfane Rutherford, Brandon King, Fabian Allen, Jason Holder, Hayden Walsh Jr., Lendl Simmons, Khary Pierre, Sheldon Cottrell, Denesh Ramdin, Kesrick Williams, Alzarri Joseph.

Page 4 of 4
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.