Windies all-rounder Kieron Pollard has admitted he is hopeful of a recall to the regional team, following the recent change of regime and appointment of a fresh panel of selectors.

Newly appointed Cricket West Indies (CWI) president Ricky Skerritt announced several changes to the administration on Thursday.  Robert Haynes was named to replace Courtney Browne as chairman of selectors, with Floyd Reifer replacing Richard Pybus as interim Windies coach to name a few.  In addition, the entire panel of selectors has been dismissed.

Pybus, who led the team to a surprise win over England in the Test series and a 2-2 draw in the One Day Internationals (ODI), was expected to take the team to the World Cup.  The 31-year-old Pollard, who was previously called to the Windies squad ahead of the ICC World Cup qualifiers, was not expected to factor in the occasion. 

The Trinidadian had made himself unavailable prior to the World Cup qualifiers, after taking issue with just being given four days to respond and prior commitments to take part in the Pakistan Super League (PSL).  The player, however, continued to express an interest in continuing to represent the team and hopes the latest changes will give him another chance.

 “There has been a lot of turmoil in West Indies cricket over the last couple of years. I was blacklisted. We have seen in the last couple of weeks there’s a change. The most I can do every time I step on the cricket field is try to put runs on the board,” he said in reference to the appointment of Skerritt as CWI president.

“We have a new chairman of selectors, there’s a new president of the cricket board, and as I said you take it as it comes. There’s people there who have the job to select and whatever and let’s see how that goes. I’m 31 years old, I have cricket left in me. Gayle is still playing, he’s 39, and he’s whacking it all around.”

Pollard recently showed plenty of quality in the IPL, smashing an astounding 83 off just 31 balls for Mumbai Indians, which upstaged Gayle’s Kings XI Punjab earlier this week. 

Kings XI Punjab will one eye nervously set on Windies star Chris Gayle who is believed to have suffered an injury during the team’s IPL encounter against Mumbai Indians on Thursday.

Gayle struck a 36-ball 63 but was eventually upstaged by regional teammate Kieron Pollard who scored an astounding 83 runs from 31-balls.  The 39-year-old opener is, however, more critically believed to have suffered a back injury during the match, the severity of which is yet to be assessed.

 “He (Gayle) said he twisted his back. We have to go check and how he is,” KXIP captain Ravichandran Ashwin said.  KXIP batting coach Sridharan Sriram also confirmed that the athlete had suffered an injury.

“He felt a twitch in the back – that’s what he said. We need to assess and monitor what he’s going to do over the next couple of days.”

Gayle did not take the field during Mumbai Indians’ successful run chase.  The big left-hander has been in fine form for both club and country scoring 223 runs in six games.  For the West Indies Gayle put in a sensational performance in the recent home series where he scored 424 runs in four games, which fueled a strongly contested 2-2 draw against higher-ranked England.  With the World Cup just a couple of months away the Windies will be hoping to keep their talisman in pristine condition if possible.

 

Andre Russell came up trumps over Chris Gayle in the battle of the West Indian superstars as Kolkata Knight Riders secured a 28-run win over King XI Punjab in the Indian Premier League (IPL) on Wednesday.

Russell scored 49 off 19 and claimed 2 for 21 to score a second straight win for the Knight Riders.  Chasing a massive 218, King XI would have needed a big innings from Gayle who was off a strong start with 20 from 13 balls. 

Russell, however, put a stop to any hopes of a massive score after having the batsman caught, attempting to pull a delivery that hurried into him.  Gayle has been in good form, after scoring 79 in the team’s opening match against Rajastan Royals.

Russell was pleased to get bragging rights over his teammate, a man known these days as the ‘Universe Boss’.

 "Gayle is like a brother to me, the bigger legend," the 30-year-old all-rounder said.

 "To get him out early was great. The plan was to bowl tight to him and restrict him. I am happy that I could get the job done."

Kings XI Punjab coach Mike Hesson has hailed young West Indies batsman Nicholas Pooran as the new Chris Gayle, tipping the player for a big impact ahead of the new IPL season.

The 23-year-old will play in the IPL for a second season, having been drafted by Islamabad in 2017.  On the bag of several impressive performances this season, the Trinidad and Tobago-born batsman was purchased by XI Punjab at the IPL 2019 auction for a whopping Rs 42 million (Rs 4.2 crore).  The price was a surprise for some, but Hesson is confident it will pay dividends for Punjab, who are looking to recover from a somewhat disappointing 2018 season.

“I am sure you all are excited about him when you look at the numbers he is putting up around the world at the moment,” Hesson said.

Pooran has appeared in six T20 Internationals and scored 105 runs at an average of 26.25. With five sixes, he has an impressive strike rate of 156.

“Obviously, he’s just been introduced to West Indies one-day international squad. He’s been a dynamic performer around the scene with strike-rates nearing the 200s in some competitions. Left-hand bat, I would always call him a young Chris Gayle with that imposing nature. The ability to play spin and hit spin outside the park could play well,” he added.

Christopher Henry Gayle may never walk out onto a cricket pitch for the West Indies, now Windies, in the Caribbean again, well not in a One Day International anyway, and while that thought does not make him happy, the way he has left the stage in the region, fills him with pride. 

After a sensational performance to date against England, Windies batting star Chris Gayle has hinted he might reconsider his imminent retirement from One Day International (ODI) cricket.

The 39-year-old hardly looked his age as he bludgeoned a six-filled 162 against England in the fourth ODI at the Grenada National Cricket ground.  Combined with a blistering 135 in the first match in Bridgetown and 50 in the second, it seems the veteran batsman has lost none of his ability to dominate bowlers.

Earlier this month, Gayle had announced his intention to retire from the ODI format following the 2019 World Cup in England.  It seems the recent strong showing has at least prompted the batsman to consider a change of heart.

"I've been playing a lot of T20 cricket, so it's always going to be a difficult coming back into 50 over cricket. But eventually, the body gets accustomed to the 50-over format," Gayle said.

"I just have to work on the body, and then maybe you can see a bit more Chris Gayle. Things change quickly. Hopefully, the body can change in the next couple of months and we can see what happens,” he added.

"What's the matter with the body? I'm nearly 40. But could I un-retire? We'll see. We'll take it slowly," he added.

 

Windies batting star Chris Gayle has lamented a ‘reckless’ shot, despite a whirlwind knock of 162 against England in a losing cause at the Grenada National Stadium on Wednesday.

In pursuit of a sizable target of 418, which was anchored by a smashing innings from Englishman Jos Butler, it was Gayle who launched a fierce response of his own. 

The big left-hander fell just short of his record of 16 sixes in an ODI innings, when he slammed 14 over the boundary rope in a battling effort at the crease.  Gayle was dismissed after missing against Ben Stokes.

In the end, it was not enough to stave off a loss for the Windies who fell just 29 runs short of the sizable total but few could argue it was an effort to be proud of.  The 39-year-old became only the second batsman to reach 300 runs, with the performance pushing him to 305, second to only Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi (351).  The total, the 25th century of the batsman’s career was his second highest total in the format.

"I didn't know what was going to happen. Normally when chasing a big total, you give yourself less overs to get in,” Gayle said following the match,

"It was a good wicket and once you get momentum as a batter, you are going to get runs,” he added.

"Wood bowled well. With his pace, he's always going to be somebody to be wary of. After losing two quick wickets, I said we had to build a partnership but the shot I played, in the end, was a bit reckless. If I had batted deeper, who knows what might have happened?"

Despite a century from Shimron Hetmyer, the Windies will still have it all to do to get back into their One Day International series against England after ending the first innings of their second game at Kensington Oval on 289-6. 

Chris Gayle scored a losing 135 on what is likely his last match in Barbados as a Windies ODI player. Centuries from Jason Royes and Joe Root gave England a comfortable 6-wicket victory in the first game of their ODI series. Gayle's innings, slow at points, has been criticised. Are these criticisms warranted?

Windies skipper Jason Holder has hailed the impact of top opening batsman Chris Gayle who cracked 135 in a losing effort against England on Monday.

On a placid Kensington Oval pitch that suited the batsmen, the 39-year-old left-hander cracked an astounding 12 sixes and four 4s enroute to his 135 off 129 balls.  The effort was, however, somewhat in vain as England cruised to a six-wicket win on the back of centuries from Jason Roy (123) and Joe Root (102).  The result saw England move ahead 1-0 in the five-test One Day International series.

“Credit to our batters I thought we played exceptionally well on what was a really good pitch, one of the best I have seen at Kensington Oval for a while. I thought Chris played a really good innings. He took a bit of time upfront, got himself set and then put pressure back on the spinners in the middle and forced Eoin Morgan to bring back the seamers back a bit earlier. I felt he held the innings together and gave other batters a chance to express themselves,” Holder said.

“England played well to chase down our target. We’re now 1-0 down so we know we have to bounce back on Friday and look to make it 1-1 before we head off to Grenada.”

The teams will play the second ODI at the same venue tomorrow.

Universe boss Chris Gayle described his last innings at Kensington Oval on Wednesday as one of his best.

Veteran opener, Christopher Henry Gayle, now has 24 centuries under his belt after smashing 135 off 128 deliveries to lead the Windies to 360 for 8 in the first One Day International of series against England at the Kensington Oval in Barbados. 

Windies wicket-keeper batsman Shai Hope has hailed the addition of star left-hander Chris Gayle to the squad as the team prepares to face England in the upcoming One Day International series.

The 39-year-old will return to the ODI team for the first time since 2018 when the Windies faced off against Bangladesh.  Gayle will play the opening two matches of the five-match series against England.

With the experienced batsman just short of 10,000 ODI runs at an average of 36.98 and 15 centuries, Hope is confident Gayle’s addition will be a major boost to the team.

"It’s great, just to see him (Gayle) at nets. Good laugh, good shots as well, and he’s going to strengthen the team a lot," ICC quoted Hope as saying. 

 "We know the importance that Gayle brings to the team. He has a lot of experience and we need to make sure we use that experience and strengthen the entire team," he added.

Hope, who was part of the team's recent Test series win against England also believes that victory will give the team added confidence ahead of the series.

"It’s a lot to look forward to. It's a very exciting time, especially leading up to the World Cup so I’m sure the guys are ready and raring to go. We are just coming off a Test series win and that was fantastic for everyone involved and the fans, so it is important for us to continue in that vein and try to get the series win as well.”

The Windies will face England in the first ODI on Wednesday at the Kensington Oval.

Windies star batsman Chris Gayle has appealed against what has been deemed inadequate compensation, in a case against Australia Media entity Fairfax Media that was decided in his favour a little over a year ago.

In the much-publicized case, the 39-year-old batsman took the media house to court following its publication of sexual misconduct allegations levelled against him by former West Indies massage therapist Leanne Russell. 

Russell had claimed Gayle intentionally exposed his penis to her, while on a visit to the team locker room while making an indecent proposition.  Her version of events was printed by multiple tabloids.

The court, however, ruled that the publishers failed to establish a defence of truth regarding the allegations at the heart of the case.  In a judgment made in December last year, Justice Lucy McCallum awarded Gayle a total of $325,112 for the stories, including interest. The amount did not include Aggravated damages and fell at the lower end of the statutory cap on such rulings.

Fairfax, who has since launched an appeal, has since sought to delay the payment.  In filing a counter-appeal late last month, however, Gayle’s legal team has argued that the damages awarded were "manifestly inadequate" and Justice McCallum "erred in failing to award aggravated damages".

 In the original ruling, the jury had found that the publisher acted with malice, meaning the articles were published for an improper purpose.

Page 3 of 7
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.