Gayle plans 'big things' for budding music career with launch of Triple Century Records

By February 10, 2021

With the formation of his record label Triple Century Records, Chris Gayle is promising to deliver hits of a different kind in the near future.

The man who has hit more than a thousand sixes in T20 cricket has plans to perhaps as many hits as his love for music grows. The Universe Boss reveals that through his record label formed in late 2020, he has many songs in the pipeline and he is already getting calls from artistes in India and from across the globe.

What started in early 2020 as a joke with Jamaican entertainer Stylo-G, has been transformed into a serious business opportunity for Gayle, who is close to winding down a stellar career as one of the world’s best batsmen in all three formats.

“I did the first song with Stylo-G and it was a joke I was running,” Gayle said, explaining that Stylo-G had done a song and he joked with the artiste about doing a remix for a song called Too Hot Celebrity.

“I said Stylo-G I should be on that remix and eventually he turned up at my house and said he was ready. I said ‘what, it was a joke,’ Gayle recalled. “So anyway, we went to the movie theatre room (at his house) and he started to show me the ropes and eventually I delivered the music and it turned out to be a hit.”

From there, Gayle said people started to reach out to him. He subsequently did We Come out to Party with Tanto Blacks and Groove with UK-based Indian singer Avina Shaw. According to Gayle, there is a lot more to come.

“I have a lot more songs in the pipeline and I did the single Living the, Life so I decided to start my record label Triple Century Records,” he said. “I am going into production and voice myself as well. It’s fun and I am beginning to enjoy it. Actually have a collaboration (and) quite a few songs that haven’t been released as yet.”

Asked whether India will be the main market for his music given his almost god-like status in that country, Gayle replied saying not necessarily.

“A lot more artistes have reached out to me, big artistes in India. The Asian market is huge. Its global thing but people in Australia, South Africa have reached out saying they have listened to my songs and that they love it. I am the Universe Boss, it’s my world. You can look out for some big things.”

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'It's not a situation where it can't be done' - Ambrose calls for end to 'placid' pitches 'It's not a situation where it can't be done' - Ambrose calls for end to 'placid' pitches

    West Indies legend, Curtly Ambrose, has re-added his voice to the call for an end to the preparation of ‘placid’ pitches throughout the Caribbean for international and regional cricket fixtures.

    In the light of the recently concluded series against Sri Lanka, which ended with two drawn games, several former players and Windies coach Phil Simmons has expressed dissatisfaction with the surface prepared for the tour.

    The debate has, however, raged on long before that, with Ambrose himself listed among those previously suggesting that many of the pitches prepared are too flat and offer little assistance to bowlers. 

    The West Indies, Sri Lanka series has only added to the dissatisfaction.  In both Test matches, Sri Lanka, then the West Indies, the teams enjoyed comfortable leads headed into the final day but ended up doing very little to disturb the batsmen in the pursuit of wickets.

    “I have seen local cricket played at Sir Viv Richards cricket stadium where you have grass on the pitch and the ball bounces and carries with good pace … so it’s not a situation where it cannot be done,” Ambrose told the Good Morning Jojo Radio show.

    “I felt that the pitches were a little too flat and I’ve been saying this for years — we need to prepare better cricket pitches where the batsmen could play their strokes and the ball bounces a bit for the bowlers,” he added.

  • Lack of productive opening partnerships worries Windies Chief Selector Roger Harper Lack of productive opening partnerships worries Windies Chief Selector Roger Harper

    Roger Harper, Cricket West Indies’ Chief Selector has expressed concern over the productivity of opening partnerships for the West Indies but laments the fact that no one is really knocking at the door to be selected.

    Captain Kraigg Brathwaite has had a welcome return to form with two Test half-centuries and a century in his last four Test matches but fellow opener John Campbell has not been inspiring much confidence with his performances.

    The Jamaican has scores of 3, 23, 36, 18, 42, 11, 5, and 10 in his last four Tests. His last half-century, 68, was made in the second Test against New Zealand in December last year.

    As a result, solid opening partnerships for the Caribbean side have been rare and this is a worry for Harper.

     “I think it has been a concern for a while. It was pleasing to see the captain get some big scores, but we need the partnership, on the whole, to be solid,” Harper said this past week on Mason and Guest.

    But while Campbell has been struggling for form, Harper acknowledges that the batsman has been working hard to correct his flaws, like the ones that saw him get out in similar fashion in all four innings in the recently concluded series against Sri Lanka.

     “We were delighted to see Campbell applying himself and being more patient, but we need some more positive returns,” he said.

    There are several players who could come in to bolster the batting but recent history does not offer much hope for success. Players like Shai Hope and Shayne Moseley are potential replacements; Hope especially who has shown a welcome return to form in the ODIs against Sri Lanka, but Test cricket is a different prospect for a player who has struggled in that format of the game.

    Moseley, who has shown promise, is yet to demonstrate that he is ready after several failures.

    “It is something we are looking at. We are looking at our best options. At the moment, from a red ball perspective, we don’t have enough openers who are knocking down the door in terms of performances,” he concluded.

     

  • He hasn't improved as much as expected' - former WI fast bowler disappointed with slow Joseph progression He hasn't improved as much as expected' - former WI fast bowler disappointed with slow Joseph progression

    Former Windies pace bowler, Richard 'Prof' Edwards, admits he is disappointed by what he believes to be the slow progress of promising pace bowler Alzarri Joseph.

    The 24-year-old fast bowler has long been tipped to give West Indies the type of firepower typical of years gone by but is yet to completely deliver on that promise.

    The young bowler has shown plenty of flashes of that prodigious talent.  He put in a strong performance against England, in 2019, and took a record-breaking six for 12 on his debut for Mumbai Indians.  Joseph has, however, not produced such performances consistently.  Joseph, who made his debut in 2016, has taken 38 Test wickets in 16 matches and 54 One Day International wickets in 34 matches.

    “It’s disappointing that he does not seem to have gone on from the time he started until now, there doesn’t seem to be any great improvement,” Edwards told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “He seems to be bowling wide of the crease to right-handers, angling it.  He should get as close to the stumps as possible,” he added.

    “He is not accurate, he had not been able to develop as much as you would have expected.  He is not a real swinger of the ball, he is athletic, he looks like he bowls pretty fast, but he is not doing much with the ball.”

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.