West Indies form partnership with Lifebuoy for England tour

By Sports Desk July 11, 2020
West Indies' Shannon Gabriel, fourth right, celebrates with teammates the dismissal of England's Ollie Pope during the fourth day of the first cricket Test match between England and West Indies, at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton, England, Saturday, July 11, 2020. West Indies' Shannon Gabriel, fourth right, celebrates with teammates the dismissal of England's Ollie Pope during the fourth day of the first cricket Test match between England and West Indies, at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton, England, Saturday, July 11, 2020. Ap Photo: Adrian Dennis

Cricket West Indies (CWI) and the West Indies team today announced a new partnership with Lifebuoy, the world’s number one selling hygiene soap, for their ongoing Sandals Tour of England. The series started last Wednesday, July 8, as West Indies faced England in the opening match at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton.

Lifebuoy will be working with the West Indies by providing hand hygiene products to the full touring party. The brand will also be capturing content with the squad to help champion the cause for better health through hygiene. Players and support staff will take part in a number of ‘myth-busting’ challenges as well as light-hearted educational videos, to help motivate fans around the world to improve their hygiene behaviour.

Kartik Chandrasekar, Global Vice President of Lifebuoy, said: “Lifebuoy has always been a brand that has looked to support people in their quest for better personal hygiene. We are incredibly proud to be partnering with such an iconic team as the West Indies, who are the first international sports team to travel to the UK since the country was placed in lockdown earlier this year."

Dominic Warne, Commercial Director of Cricket West Indies said: “CWI are delighted to announce this new partnership with Lifebuoy where our cricketers will be delivering engaging and fun content as part of a serious mission to improve hygiene and health. The West Indies are loved and followed around the world, and we’re looking forward to joining forces with Lifebuoy to improve hygiene behaviour as fans tune in from around the world to follow this historic Test Series."

West Indies’ Tour of England consists of a three-match Test Series, played behind closed doors. The #RaisetheBat Series is part of the ICC World Test Championship which concludes in 2021. The First Test starts at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton on July 8 before the second (July 16-20) and third (July 24-28) Tests will be played at Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester. Players have been quarantined and entered a ‘bio-secure bubble’ ahead of the matches, with temperature checks and COVID-19 testing taking place on a regular basis.

To join the conversation, watch any of Lifebuoy’s exclusive content with the West Indies team search ‘Lifebuoy Global’ on YouTube, or follow @lifebuoysoap on Twitter and Instagram.

Related items

  • 'Windies Women paid price for losing intensity' - insists interim coach Coley 'Windies Women paid price for losing intensity' - insists interim coach Coley

    West Indies Women’s interim coach Andre Coley admits the team lost a bit of momentum after losing intensity during its unsuccessful runs chase against England on Wednesday.

    In pursuit of England’s target of 151, the West Indies were at 71 for 1 at around the halfway point of the runs chase.  The team was anchored by a 61 run top-order partnership between captain Stafanie Taylor and Deandra Dottin.

    Once Dottin was dismissed lbw, however, Taylor followed two overs later and a rapid collapse saw the team eventually all out for 104.  In the last 6.1 overs, the team nosedived from 72 for 1, to 96 for 8. 

    “For this format of the game, the intensity is very important. We had that early on with that significant partnership between Deandra and Stephanie of 60-odd that really kept that momentum going,” Colley explained following the match.

    “During that middle period, however, we actually dipped in terms of our intent and moved away from that intensity around scoring boundaries and that obviously led to us losing some momentum toward the end.  We needed to keep going to stay on pace with the required rate,” he added.

    Even before that, however, the team must certainly be regretting not doing a bit better with the ball.  Having reduced England to 96 for 6, they let it slip in the last bowling five overs, and a 150-target was always going to be a tough task.

    "In this game, we were able to pull things back in the middle.  Our spinners did well to pull back in the middle.  The last five overs was really what cost us, they scored 50 runs in the last five and that pushed them past a score we were looking at.”

  • Holder heads to IPL - Windies captain expected to replace Sunrisers Marsh Holder heads to IPL - Windies captain expected to replace Sunrisers Marsh

    West Indies all-rounder Jason Holder will get a chance to appear at this season’s India Premier League (IPL) after being earmarked to replace injured Australian Mitchell Marsh.

    Marsh, who was drafted by Sunrisers Hyderabad, was ruled out of the tournament after injuring his ankle in the team’s first match of the season.

    As a result, Holder, who will perhaps be looking to make up for a disappointing outing in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), has been tipped to make his fourth IPL appearance.  It will be the second for the Sunrisers, but he has previously featured for the Chennai Super Kings and the Kolkata Knight Riders.

    Holder, who was replaced as West Indies T20 captain by Kieron Pollard last year, had a base price of INR 75 lakh ($US100,000), in the December IPL auction but went unsold more than once.

    In the most recent CPL campaign, he led the Barbados Tridents to a fifth-place finish in the six-team table. Holder scored 192 runs at a strike rate of 140.14, and also picked up ten wickets at an economy rate of 6.63.  He will be required to undergo a six-day quarantine before joining up with the rest of the team.

  • Super Kings won't rush Bravo back - Windies all-rounder won't appear until fourth match Super Kings won't rush Bravo back - Windies all-rounder won't appear until fourth match

    West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo is expected to make his debut for Indian Premier League (IPL) team Chennai Super Kings by its fourth match, despite being declared fit enough to play.

    The 36-year-old Bravo reported to the Super Kings IPL camp in Dubai with a knee injury, which he picked up during the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) earlier this month.  The player has, however, since been cleared to return to the line-up but based on an agreement with the management team the West Indian will not be back in the lineup early.

    So far, the Super Kings have already played three IPL games.  In Bravo’s absence, Englishman Sam Curran has been performing the overseas allrounder's job well, for the moment.

    Bravo made history during last month’s CPL after becoming the first player in history to take 500 T20 wickets.  In addition, his Trinbago Knight Riders captured a fourth title on the back of an unbeaten season.  Bravo, who leads the CPL with most wickets taken, is currently 5th on the list of most career wickets in the IPL with 147.  The list is topped by Sri Lanka’s Lasith Malinga who has claimed 172.  The West Indian, however, tops the list for most wickets claimed in a tournament, with 32, a feat he accomplished during the 2013 edition.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.