Hetmyer says match-winning hundred meant a lot

By December 15, 2019

Guyanese power hitter Shimron Hetmyer said his match-winning ton against cricket powerhouse India on Sunday had special meaning.

Hetmyer smashed 11 fours and seven sixes in his knock of 139 that was made off just 106 balls and shared in a second-wicket stand of 218 with Shai Hope, who remained unbeaten on 102, as the West Indies successfully chased down an imposing 287 for 8 set by India.

The West Indies reached their target with 13 balls to spare to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series. Sunday’s hundred was only his second this year. On February, he scored 104 against England in Bridgetown, Barbados. Since then he has had a run of low scores with the exception of scores of 50 and 54 against Bangladesh and New Zealand on June 17 and 22, respectively.

Sunday’s hundred represented a return to form for the talented player who is known to lose his wicket playing risky and sometimes reckless shots.

“This hundred means a lot because the last one I had was at the start of the year,” he said. “Now it's a matter of being consistent next year. I just backed myself and tried to execute my plans. It's always nice to have a smile on your face after a victory. The last time I was here, I got a hundred and we lost that game.”

Kieron Pollard, the team’s captain said he did not lose faith in the player despite his lean run of form. “Hetmyer has come under a lot of criticism, but it's about understanding his role and responsibility. As a management group, we have faith in him,” Pollard said.

Hetmyer also came in for praise from Indian captain Virat Kohli.

“They played very smartly on a slow pitch. We thought six bowling options will be good enough, especially with the pitch being slow and Kedar as an option. But it played differently under lights. I think they batted really well, you can't take that out of the equation. But I think the ball wasn't holding enough for the fast bowlers. Hetmyer was outstanding and Shai as well.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • England to be without injured Archer for New Zealand series England to be without injured Archer for New Zealand series

    Jofra Archer has been ruled out of England’s two-Test series against New Zealand having suffered a setback in his return from an elbow injury.

    Pace bowler Archer made his comeback in domestic action for Sussex this week after undergoing surgery on his right hand at the end of March.

    However, a persistent elbow issue flared up while in action against Kent, with Archer unable to bowl during the final two days of the County Championship fixture.

    England confirmed on Sunday that the 26-year-old will now seek further medical advice over the next course of action, meaning he will not feature in either game against the Black Caps on home soil.

    "England and Sussex seamer Jofra Archer has been ruled out of the Test series against New Zealand starting next month," an England and Wales Cricket Board statement read.

    "Archer, who returned to action for Sussex in the LV= Insurance County Championship against Kent this week at Hove, only bowled five overs in Kent’s second innings. He was suffering from pain in his right elbow when bowling and was unable to bowl in the final two days of the match.

    "The England and Sussex medical teams will now seek guidance, and Archer will see a medical consultant later this week to determine the next course of action on the management of his elbow."

    Archer bowled 13 overs in Kent’s first innings, taking 2-29 in a rain-hit contest that finished as a draw.

    He has 42 wickets at an average of 31.04 in 13 Test appearances for England, who have a home series to come against India later in the year.

  • Windies call 30  players to pre-South Africa training camp in St Lucia Windies call 30 players to pre-South Africa training camp in St Lucia

    The Cricket West Indies (CWI) Selection Panel has named a 30-man squad for a three-week high-performance red-ball training camp in St Lucia, starting today in preparation for the upcoming Test Series against South Africa.

  • ‘We can’t give up on getting back to our glory days, just yet, Sir Curtly’ – How do we put passion back into Windies cricket? ‘We can’t give up on getting back to our glory days, just yet, Sir Curtly’ – How do we put passion back into Windies cricket?
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.