Pollard wants to ‘right the wrongs’ in series decider

By November 16, 2019
West Indies captain Kieron Pollard West Indies captain Kieron Pollard

West Indies captain Kieron Pollard is planning to hit back hard at Afghanistan after the hosts won their first game against his side in Lucknow, India on Saturday.

Afghanistan were dominant against the West Indies, beating them by 47 runs despite not scoring many when their side batted.

The result, largely coming on the back of Karim Janat’s 5-11, gave the skipper pause to think.

He has had things largely his own way since his debut as captain at the start of a three-match ODI series his team bossed and one T20I where they proved much better than their opposition, but now he has to will his team to come good when the outcome isn’t so clear.

“We just have 24 hours to wrong the rights, and hopefully we come back and do those things right tomorrow. 1-1 is a virtual final tomorrow, and you'd want to see how the guys react tomorrow. Happy times for us in terms of how we have played through this series. We need to have conversations on what to improve on for tomorrow,” said Pollard.

As for the game just concluded, Pollard believes the West Indies did a few things wrong.

"At the halfway stage, we were happy with 147. Their batsmen came hard at us, but we came back well, especially Kesrick. We cannot fault the bowlers. We didn't get a good start in the Powerplay, and we lost wickets every time we were trying to be aggressive,” he said.

Earlier, Afghanistan had scored 147-7 from their 20 overs with Hazratullah Zazai and Janat scoring 26, Gulbadin Naib, 24, and Najibullah Zadran, 20 not out.

Kesrick Williams had been the best bowler for the West Indies, bagging 3-23, while Keemo Paul, replacing the injured Fabian Allen, ended with 2-28, and Jason Holder, 2-23.

When the West Indies batted, only Denish Ramdin, 24 not out, seemed interested against Naveen-ul-Haq, 1-19, Rashid Khan, 1-25, Naib, 1-22, and the brilliant 5-11 from Janat.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • England make good on fightback, erase West Indies lead England make good on fightback, erase West Indies lead

    Still with eight wickets in hand, England have fought their way back into the first Test at the Ageas Bowl after openers Rory Burns, 42, and Dom Sibley, 50, slowly chipped away at the West Indies' 114-run lead, removing altogether just after lunch.

    Burns was the only dismissal in the morning session on Saturday, caught by John Campbell at backward point off Roston Chase for a 104-ball 42.

    Sibley got to his 50 off 164 deliveries but lost out to Shannon Gabriel soon after.

    Joe Denly, 20, and Zack Crawley, 7, are the men at the crease with England 125-2.

    England had resumed its second innings on 15-0 at the empty Rose Bowl in reply to West Indies' first-innings total of 318. Progress was slow in the morning with at one point only three runs off nine overs, and 64 runs from 30 overs overall in the session.

    England scored 204 in its first innings of the rain-affected test.

  • Entire CPL confirmed for T&T venues Entire CPL confirmed for T&T venues

    The Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) and the government of Trinidad & Tobago have come to an agreement for the whole of the 2020 season to be played in that country. The tournament will run from Tuesday 18 August to Thursday 10 September.

    The CPL will have a full season and will feature overseas and Caribbean players with the standard higher than it has ever been with the likes of Rashid Khan, Chris Lynn, Carlos Brathwaite, Dwayne Bravo, Alex Hales and Kieron Pollard all set to take part.

    Last year’s CPL had a combined broadcast and digital viewership of 312 million and with the tournament being the first franchise T20 event to take place in several months there will be more interest than ever.

    The CPL have worked with the Trinidad & Tobago Ministry of Health and the CPL’s own board of medical advisors to create protocols which minimize risk of transmission of the COVID-19 virus to the population of Trinidad and in amongst those who will be travelling to Trinidad & Tobago from overseas.

    All teams and officials will be housed in one hotel and everyone will be subject to strict quarantine protocols for the first two weeks they are in the country. Everyone travelling from overseas will be tested for COVID-19, before departure and then again on arrival in Trinidad.

    Teams and officials will be put into “households” where social distancing will need to be in place. There will be smaller clusters within each household where these measures can be relaxed. However, if any member of this cluster display signs of COVID-19 at any time during the tournament all members of that cluster will be expected to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from the time that a member of that cohort first shows symptoms.

    All members of the CPL party will be subject to regular temperature checks and will be re-tested for the virus throughout their stay in Trinidad and again before departure.

    Pete Russell, COO of Hero CPL, said: "We would like to express our gratitude and thanks to The Hon. Dr. Keith Rowley, Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago, The Hon. Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister for Sport and Youth Affairs, The Hon. Terrence Deyalsingh, Minister for Health, Dr. Roshan Parasram, Chief Medical Officer for Trinidad & Tobago, Douglas Camacho, Chairman of Sport TT and their respective ministries and organisations for their support and guidance in making this all possible.

    “We are really excited to bring high-class cricket to the Caribbean and to the rest of the world. The standard of players involved in this year’s tournament will be higher than ever and we can’t wait to get the tournament under way.”

  • Michael Holding’s look at institutional racism important to Caribbean views on class Michael Holding’s look at institutional racism important to Caribbean views on class

    Fast-bowling legend-turned-legendary commentator, Michael Holding, effortlessly threw case studies here and there while backing up his views on the issue of racism.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.