Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists panel will focus on youngsters

By October 16, 2019
Windies veteran batsman Chris Gayle. Windies veteran batsman Chris Gayle.

Newly appointed Windies chairman of selectors Roger Harper confirmed veteran batsman Chris Gayle was unavailable for the upcoming series against Afghanistan but suggested the panel would focus on younger talent going forward.

Speculation has continued to surround the future of the star batsman after he announced plans to retire, following the ICC World Cup earlier this year.  The 40-year-old, however, appeared to have a change of heart and went on to claim that the team's series again India, following the cricketing showpiece, would instead be his final. 

Controversy, however, erupted with many suggesting the batsman should hang up his tips and allow for the development of younger players.  Following the series against India, Gayle was again quick to insist that he was in no hurry to retire.  With young openers like Evin Lewis and Brandon King included in the squad, Harper suggested it was time to give younger players an opportunity to showcase their skills.

“Gayle told us he is unavailable for Afghanistan Series, but we all know Chris, he is a world-class player with a tremendous record and of course it’s difficult to replace Chris Gayle,” Harper explained.

"But I think going forward it is in a way an opportunity for young players to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves as we look ahead to the next two T20 World Cups in 2020 and 2021 and the future.”

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Pollard wants to ‘right the wrongs’ in series decider Pollard wants to ‘right the wrongs’ in series decider

    West Indies captain Kieron Pollard is planning to hit back hard at Afghanistan after the hosts won their first game against his side in Lucknow, India on Saturday.

    Afghanistan were dominant against the West Indies, beating them by 47 runs despite not scoring many when their side batted.

    The result, largely coming on the back of Karim Janat’s 5-11, gave the skipper pause to think.

    He has had things largely his own way since his debut as captain at the start of a three-match ODI series his team bossed and one T20I where they proved much better than their opposition, but now he has to will his team to come good when the outcome isn’t so clear.

    “We just have 24 hours to wrong the rights, and hopefully we come back and do those things right tomorrow. 1-1 is a virtual final tomorrow, and you'd want to see how the guys react tomorrow. Happy times for us in terms of how we have played through this series. We need to have conversations on what to improve on for tomorrow,” said Pollard.

    As for the game just concluded, Pollard believes the West Indies did a few things wrong.

    "At the halfway stage, we were happy with 147. Their batsmen came hard at us, but we came back well, especially Kesrick. We cannot fault the bowlers. We didn't get a good start in the Powerplay, and we lost wickets every time we were trying to be aggressive,” he said.

    Earlier, Afghanistan had scored 147-7 from their 20 overs with Hazratullah Zazai and Janat scoring 26, Gulbadin Naib, 24, and Najibullah Zadran, 20 not out.

    Kesrick Williams had been the best bowler for the West Indies, bagging 3-23, while Keemo Paul, replacing the injured Fabian Allen, ended with 2-28, and Jason Holder, 2-23.

    When the West Indies batted, only Denish Ramdin, 24 not out, seemed interested against Naveen-ul-Haq, 1-19, Rashid Khan, 1-25, Naib, 1-22, and the brilliant 5-11 from Janat.

  • Janat takes five as Afghanistan level series Janat takes five as Afghanistan level series

    Karim Janat ripped through West Indies with a maiden five-wicket Twenty20 International haul as Afghanistan dished out a 41-run defeat to set up a series decider in Lucknow.

    Kesrick Williams followed up an impressive bowling display in the first match of the series by taking 3-23 in Afghanistan's 147-7 on Saturday.

    That total was more than enough for Rashid Khan's men to make it 1-1, with all-rounder Janat claiming 5-11 - the second-best figures by an Afghanistan bowler in the shortest format - from his four overs as the Windies made only 106-8.

    Afghanistan, whitewashed 3-0 in the ODI series, will look to complete the turnaround by winning the final match at the same venue on Sunday.

    Hazratullah Zazai and Rahmanullah Gurbaz got Afghanistan off to a good start after they won the toss, but both openers fell from consecutive deliveries in the fifth over from Williams with 42 on the board.

    Jason Holder (2-23) trapped Janat leg before for 26 and had Asghar Afghan caught behind, while Keemo Paul - replacing the injured Fabian Allen - took 2-28 as Afghanistan were kept in check.

    Najibullah Zadran (20 not) and Gulbadin Naib (24) were able to provide some late impetus and the Windies never got going in a sorry run chase.

    Shimron Hetmyer was adjudged lbw to the impressive Janat, who also saw the back of Evin Lewis and Sherfane Rutherford to leave West Indies in trouble on only 45-4 at the halfway mark.

    Captain Kieron Pollard was also struck in front by Janat and the rampant seamer had five when he cleaned up Paul in his final over, Denesh Ramdin top scoring with an unbeaten 24 in a poor effort with the bat from the Windies.

  • England chief Giles hopeful over Anderson's fitness for South Africa tour England chief Giles hopeful over Anderson's fitness for South Africa tour

    England's coaching staff are hopeful James Anderson will be fit to feature in the upcoming tour of South Africa, according to Ashley Giles.

    Anderson has not travelled with England's Test squad for the two-match tour of New Zealand, which starts next week.

    The 37-year-old - England's record wicket-taker in red-ball cricket - sustained a calf injury in the first Ashes Test, which saw him miss the rest of the series.

    However, England's managing director Giles is confident Anderson, who will be attending a pre-tour training camp in South Africa, will be able to face the Proteas.

    "Jimmy is going out to Potchefstroom," Giles told BBC Sport. "We're hopeful. We think he is on track, which is great. The medical team are happy.

    "The older you get these things tend to linger longer. We felt no point forcing it for this short tour.

    "It will be interesting to see the pitches we play on in South Africa. I think they'll be green and they'll go for a bowler war and take us on. It's not something I'd take on with Jofra Archer and Jimmy Anderson, but it will be an exciting series."

    Joe Root's captaincy was called into question at times through the Ashes, with Australia retaining the urn.

    However, Giles stressed the plan is for the Yorkshireman to lead England during the next Ashes, which takes place in Australia in 2021-22.

    "We have talked about Joe leading and winning in Australia. We've not said 'maybe if you get there.' We plan for him to be our captain," Giles added.

    "That series will come around quickly as we know with the business of the schedules. None of us know what is around the corner, things can change quickly. But in our planning when we sat down even before the Headingley Test we were looking to Australia.

    "That's the holy grail for Joe. Going to Australia and winning is the big prize and we have enough time to plan for that."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.