Police to probe identity of driver behind the wheel of Andre Russell's Mercedes

By August 21, 2019

The police have launched an investigation to determine who was the real driver of a black Mercedes motorcar said to belong to Windies cricketer Andre Russell that was spinning donuts at a busy intersection in Kingston late last week.

Assistant Commissioner  Bishop Dr Gary Welsh, head of the Public Safety and Traffic Enforcement Branch of the Jamaica Constabulary is ordering the investigation after a video emerged that suggests that West Indies cricketer Andre Russell was inside the Mercedes Benz motorcar and that his personal assistant might not have been the man behind the wheel.

Dennis Deitrich, a man claimed on Tuesday to be the driver of the vehicle that spun donuts at the intersection of Dunrobin Avenue and Dukharan Avenue in Kingston late last week.

Deitrich turned up at the location along with the police on Tuesday and publicly apologized. He claimed he was the driver but that he did not know it would become such a big issue. He said such an incident would never happen again.

The blowback on social media has been significant with most slamming the police for not doing their job and charging the driver, who risked harm to other drivers while spinning the powerful motorcar at the usually busy intersection.

Some posters on social media even called for the firing of Assistant Commissioner of Police.

“They made a fool out of @JamaicaConstab. In its stampede for publicity and likes on social media, it undermined respect for itself and public confidence. The inspector must be fired. He has abused his position and allowed this fellow to flout the law and be rewarded for it,” branding expert @DrHumeJohnson tweeted.

The new video that emerged overnight could prove to be an even bigger public relations disaster for the police, as it suggests that a man resembling Russell was a passenger in the car and that Deitrich might not have been the driver.

The video begins as the car emerges from the final donut turns, smoke billowing from the tyres as the car straightens out and races towards the videographer.

As it gets closer, the car slows to reveal two men inside, one of whom appears to be Russell in the passenger seat. It was not clear who was behind the wheel.

It is not clear if the video is from the same incident but if validated, it would prove to be more egg on the face of the police who staged the ill-advised publicity stunt on Tuesday afternoon.

Under Jamaica’s penal code, a conviction for reckless and careless driving could see an offender face a fine of about US$2000 and possible incarceration.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Graeme West backs Windies U19s to show their quality Graeme West backs Windies U19s to show their quality

    West Indies U19 Head Coach, Graeme West is backing the young team to show the qualities they have developed in the last year, when they bowl off their ICC U19 Cricket World Cup campaign against three-time tournament winners Australia in Zone B at the De Beers Diamond Oval in Kimberley on Saturday, January 18.

    The team is gaining confidence after wins in the two warm-up games against Canada and Scotland. All 15 players are fit and available for selection as the team begins their preparations for the opening group game against Australia.

    West provided a detailed account of the team’s work as they prepare to start the ICC U19 World Cup which West Indies famously won in 2016.

    “The two warm-up games were certainly competitive and provided all squad members with opportunities to demonstrate their skills and show that they had made the necessary adjustments to the conditions and wickets to be effective,” said West.

    “The Scotland performance was an improvement on the Canada game when Nyeem Young and Antonio Morris batted superbly to turn the game around.

    “The bowling unit was slightly below par against Canada given how well they have performed since the Tri-Series in December, but on Wednesday against Scotland we were far more controlled and disciplined.”

    West said the most pleasing aspect of the Scotland game was the contribution from the top four batters, who needed time in the middle.

    “Kevlon Anderson’s hundred was well-paced as he mixed good strike rotation with some power hitting. Captain Kimani Melius and Leonardo Julien set the tempo for the innings with run-a-ball half-centuries on a wicked that was well suited to their stroke play and positive intent,” West said.

    “We are well aware of the quality Australia and England possess  and both games will provide great opportunities for our players to demonstrate the learning that has taken place over the last year, we know we will have to produce a perfect performance to beat both sides.”

    He urged the West Indies fans to support the young team as they seek to emulate the title-winning class of 2016.

     “They know the importance of the tournament and the stage they are about to perform on and we would love to have everyone supporting and following us. The boys will be doing everything they can to make their friends, families and all the Windies Cricket fans proud,” he said.

     

  • India level series as Australia fall short in Rajkot run chase India level series as Australia fall short in Rajkot run chase

    India avenged their Mumbai mauling with a 36-run defeat of Australia in the second ODI in Rajkot to level the series.

    The tourists had embarrassed India in the first match, cruising to a 10-wicket win with unbeaten centuries from David Warner and Aaron Finch.

    India posted a more challenging total of 340-6 on Friday, featuring 96 from Shikhar Dhawan, 80 from KL Rahul and Virat Kohli's 78, to give Australia a tricky chase and they fell short on 304 all out to set up a series decider in Bengaluru on Sunday.

    At 220-3 with more than 12 overs remaining, Australia were firmly in the hunt, but India's bowlers got on top and the tourists did not recover from losing Steve Smith, whose 98 was the fulcrum of their innings.

    Smith played on to give Kuldeep Yadav his second victim in the 38th over after dismissing Alex Carey to bring up 100 ODI career wickets.

    Warner had earlier been dismissed for just 15, flicking at a length ball from Mohammed Shami (3-77) outside off stump and caught spectacularly above his head by Manish Pandey at cover.

    Finch fell for 33 and Marnus Labuschagne made 46 in his first ODI knock, but Australia's hopes of a late flurry were savaged by Shami yorking Ashton Turner and Pat Cummins with the first two deliveries of the 44th over before Navdeep Saini and Jasprit Bumrah mopped up the tail.

    Dhawan and Rohit Sharma had earlier put on a run-a-ball 81 for India's first wicket, before the latter fell for 42, pegged lbw by leg-spinner Adam Zampa.

    Dhawan and Kohli kept the runs flowing, with their stand of 103 eventually broken when Dhawan, four short of an 18th ODI century and looking to reach three figures with one blow, was caught at fine leg by Mitchell Starc off Kane Richardson.

    India had collapsed from 134 for one to 255 all out in Mumbai, but this time it would be a different story.

    The classy Kohli scored at just over a run a ball before becoming the second of three victims for Zampa (3-50), before Rahul injected late pace into the scoring by plundering his 80 from 52 balls, clearing the ropes three times before being run out in the final over.

    A blow for India on an otherwise positive day came with Dhawan taking a blow to the ribs when batting that prevented him from fielding.

  • England withdraw declaration and bat on in bizarre scenes at Port Elizabeth England withdraw declaration and bat on in bizarre scenes at Port Elizabeth

    England skipper Joe Root prompted confusion and hilarity on day two of the third Test with South Africa as he withdrew a declaration after a wicket was ruled out due to a no-ball.

    When Mark Wood was caught at mid-on off Kagiso Rabada to seemingly leave England 467-9, Root called a halt to his side's first innings at Port Elizabeth.

    However, replays then showed Rabada had over-stepped, prompting Root to reverse his decision and instead advise his side to carry on batting.

    Wood and Ollie Pope, who had earlier completed his maiden Test century, made the most of the bizarre situation by plundering a further 31 runs - in addition to the run England received for Rabada's no-ball - in quick time.

    After racing to 42 from 23 balls, Wood eventually holed out to deep midwicket off Keshav Maharaj (5-180) and England declared on 499-9, with Pope 135 not out.

    Ben Stokes (120) had also reached three figures for the tourists prior to lunch as they kicked on superbly from an overnight score of 224-4.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.