No need to get rid of Gayle insists Richards

By August 16, 2019
Windies star Chris Gayle. Windies star Chris Gayle.

West Indies legend Sir Vivian Richards insists that star batsman Chris Gayle could be allowed to retire on his own terms provided he continues to perform at a high level.

The 39-year-old Windies star was thought to have retired following the third One Day International (ODI) against India earlier this week.  Ahead of the match, talk in some quarters surrounded the batsman continued presence in the team, particularly after a poor performance at the ICC World Cup and a combined total of 15 in the two prior games.

The big left-hander, however, gave a stirring response to his critics with a smashing 72 off just 41 deliveries.  In addition, Gayle insisted that he had not announced his retirement following the series, creating a conundrum for the selectors in upcoming ODI series. West Indies bowling legend Curtly Ambrose had suggested that Gayle should step aside to allow the team to focus on new talent, with the next World Cup in mind.  Richards, however, believes Gayle could still be a valuable contributor to the Windies squad.

“Over the years Chris has been a brilliant batsman.  The only worrying thing I have would have with Chris now is if we cannot see the performances that we did in Port of Spain,” Richards said in an exclusive SportsMax Zone interview.  

“We can agree that one particular thing is that he is not as mobile in the field as when he was younger but if he can put in those types of performances, that in my opinion would suggest that we can still have him around to add that type of experience,” he added.

“I love to see class, I appreciate class and Chris brings this.  If he cannot perform like he did on a consistent basis well then we can start thinking other things like whether he should be there or not.”    

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Gayle sick of retirement saga -  Windies star vows to ignore question about future Gayle sick of retirement saga - Windies star vows to ignore question about future

    Veteran Windies batsman Chris Gayle has voiced his annoyance regarding constant speculation surrounding his future, particularly as it relates to expected retirement plans.

    Gayle, who turns 40 tomorrow, announced that he planned to retire from the sport following the ICC World Cup a few months ago.  The player, however, seemed to have a change of heart later, insisting that he could play longer.  Following his appearance at the World Cup, Gayle participated in the Windies One Day International series against India.

     At the end of that series, it appeared several players and members of the media thought Gayle’s international career was at an end as he received a standing ovation.  The Windies talisman was, however, quick to announce that he had said nothing about retirement.  With the question continuing to linger, Gayle has made it clear he has grown weary of the speculation.

    “The older you get is the wiser you get and it’s the more you feel a different sort of energy,” Gayle said in an interview posted by Jamaica Tallawahs.

    "You get older you might feel a bit jaded here and there.  I’m turning 40 soon and I’m feeling pretty good.  I am going to rest aside this discussion about retirement,” Gayle added.

    “It’s something I learned a couple of months ago.  When you make an actual statement about retiring while you are still playing it can be a bit complicated and it can get irritating and annoying.  I get annoyed when people say this and that so from now on, I won’t be answering anyone’s questions about retirement.”

     

     

  • Tallawahs, Gayle penalised for second over rate breach Tallawahs, Gayle penalised for second over rate breach

    The Jamaica Tallawahs were charged with a breach of Article 2.5 of the Hero CPL Code of Conduct – Minimum Over Rate Offences – at the end of Match 10 between themselves and the Trinbago Knight Riders on Friday 13th September at Sabina Park. 

  • Tallawahs had to find a way - Walton reveals desperation played key role in win Tallawahs had to find a way - Walton reveals desperation played key role in win

    Jamaica Tallawahs top-order batsman and stand-in captain Chadwick Walton insists the team had no choice but to battle for a win, after getting their first of the season against Barbados Tridents at Sabina Park on Sunday.

    Walton took on the mantle of leadership to help the team secure a four-wicket win, the team’s first in five attempts.

    “We found ourselves with our back against the wall, so we had to find a way to come up trumps and fortunately we did,” Walton said after the match.

    Having conceded and eyewatering 875 runs in four prior game, the Tallawahs made changes to their bowling attack and opted to go with spinners at the top of the order.  The ploy worked as extra bounce and turn from George Worker quickly removed openers Johnson Charles and Alex Hales. 

    From there the variation never allowed the Tridents to settle as they were eventually left short at 140 for 9.  What should have been an easy runs chase, however, looked any but despite solid starts from the opening duo of Glen Phillips and Chris Gayle.  Walton, who scored a match-winning 51 from 42, stuck around to deliver the win.

    “It was a lot of pressure, but I knew that if we batted the full 20 overs, we would win the game.  The aim was just to bat the 20 overs,” he added.

    “It’s nice to get your campaign off and running, it’s a bit late but we will take it nonetheless and hope that we can move strength to strength from here.”

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.