Windies capable of deep World Cup run claims Ambrose

By May 14, 2019
Windies bowling legend Curtly Ambrose. Windies bowling legend Curtly Ambrose.

Legendary West Indies fast bowler Curtly Ambrose has picked the team to make a deep run at the ICC World Cup, which gets under way in England later this month.

The regional team won the first edition of the tournament in 1975 and 1979 and were only narrowly beaten by India in the following edition.  Since then it has been a major barren stretch of sorts having failed to advance to the semi-final stage in seven of the next eight tournaments.  The only exception came in 1996 when the team did manage to make the final four before being narrowly beaten by Australia.  Ambrose, who was a part of that squad, believes the current iteration could at the very least equal that feat.

“Our chances are as good as anybody’s because when you look at cricket in general and like I’ve said to the guys when I was with the team [as a coach], ICC ratings or rankings don’t really count on the field,” Ambrose told the Antigua Observer.

 “In the rankings, you could be one, two or three but it simply means you’re more consistent and you’re winning more games so you get the points to move to the top of the table but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re the better team,” he added.

“We have a decent team but of course, people are going to argue about one or two players which will happen from now until eternity, but I feel we have a good enough team to go deeper into the World Cup.

Our problem is the consistency factor where we would win one game handsomely then maybe lose two or three and then win another one and if you’re so inconsistent then you’re never going to go far. As long as we are consistent in this World Cup, we can spring some surprises and go deep but we have to be consistent,” he said.

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Anderson back in the wickets for Lancashire as he hopes for Ashes return Anderson back in the wickets for Lancashire as he hopes for Ashes return

    England's record wicket-taker James Anderson made a promising comeback for Lancashire's second team as he returned from a calf injury lay-off.

    Anderson is hopeful of playing a part in the latter stages of the Ashes after hobbling out of the opening match against Australia on day one.

    He bowled only four overs in England's defeat at Edgbaston and missed the subsequent drawn match at Lord's.

    The 37-year-old will also be sidelined for this week's clash at Headingley, but he sent down nine overs for Lancashire's second string on Tuesday against their Leicestershire counterparts at Northern Cricket Club in Crosby.

    He had Leicestershire's Sam Bates caught behind by wicketkeeper George Lavelle, before pinning Ben Mike lbw.

    Anderson posted figures of 2-23, with fellow paceman George Burrows taking 6-22 in 13 overs as Leicestershire made 224 at the Merseyside club.

    Depending on Anderson's progress, the 575-wicket Test veteran may come into contention for the fourth Ashes clash at Lancashire's Old Trafford home.

    That match runs from September 4-8, with the fifth Test at The Oval beginning on September 12.

  • Ashes 2019: Steve Smith ruled out of third Test following concussion Ashes 2019: Steve Smith ruled out of third Test following concussion

    Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test between Australia and England following his concussion at Lord's, coach Justin Langer has confirmed.

    Talismanic batsman Smith was struck on the neck by a Jofra Archer bouncher on day four on Saturday and retired hurt before later returning to resume his innings.

    The in-form Smith, who made centuries in each innings of the first Test at Edgbaston, did not play at all on day five, though, after suffering with delayed concussion.

    Marnus Labuschagne was called in as a concussion substitute and made a brilliant 59 as the tourists battled to a draw to maintain their 1-0 series lead.

    Smith said he was "hopeful" he would recover to feature at Headingley, but any hopes of participation in Leeds were ended by Langer on Tuesday.

    The 30-year-old missed training with the rest of his Australia team-mates before the news was confirmed.

    Coach Langer was due to discuss Smith and the upcoming Test with the media later on Tuesday.

    Smith is returning to Test cricket in this series after serving a 12-month ban for his role in the team's ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last year, which also saw him lose his role as captain.

    He has been in sensational form in England, making 144, 142 and 92 from his three Ashes knocks to put Australia ahead in the series prior to his injury.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test following concussion BREAKING NEWS: Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test following concussion

    Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test between Australia and England following his concussion at Lord's, coach Justin Langer has confirmed.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.