Pace will hurt at the World Cup – Holder backs Cottrell, Thomas to perform well

By April 12, 2019
Sheldon Cottrell (Left) and Oshane Thomas Sheldon Cottrell (Left) and Oshane Thomas

Windies captain, Jason Holder, believes strongly that Jamaican fast bowlers Oshane Thomas and Shelton Cottrell will cause problems at the World Cup in England. 

Cottrell came to the party in the Caribbean against England late, but his impact was immediate, the left-arm pacer enjoying best figures of 5-46 in the second of the ODIs, a series that would end in a 2-2 draw.

Thomas also showed sparks of the damage he could cause in that series against England, the pacer putting together statistics of 5-21, bowling out the visitors for 113.

Holder believes the pair could have massive impact on the fortunes of the Windies in the World Cup.

The Windies, for the first time in their history, were made to qualify for the World Cup in a competition they eventually lost to Afghanistan.

That fact, along with the recent form of the team, has cast doubts on whether the Caribbean side could mount a formidable challenge when the competition bowls off at the end of May.

However, Cottrell, has returned from injury and sub-par form since that time and makes the Windies, a sometimes powerful batting unit, an all-round more dangerous prospect, which can hurt you in a number of ways.

Thomas, on the other hand, burst onto the scene in last year’s Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL), bowling with real venom, something witnessed first-hand by veteran opener Chris Gayle, who he trapped in his stance with the first ball of the evening when the Jamaica Tallawahs played against the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots at Sabina Park.

The feat set tongues wagging and he has been a part of the Jamaica set up in all formats of the game since then.

The Windies soon took note with Thomas since playing nine games for 15 wickets.   

Holder has begun a stint with Northampshire in English County Cricket, believing this to be good preparation for the big event.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Mortaza wants others to match 'exceptional' Shakib Mortaza wants others to match 'exceptional' Shakib

    Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza called on his team to follow Shakib Al Hasan's "exceptional" contributions after a match-winning turn against West Indies.

    Shakib made an unbeaten 124 - his second century in a row - as Bangladesh completed their highest ODI run chase and ran out resounding seven-wicket winners in Taunton.

    Liton Das (94 not out) and Tamim Iqbal (48) also weighed in, but Mortaza acknowledged Shakib, who became the tournament's highest-scoring player on Monday, has been the Tigers' star of the Cricket World Cup so far.

    Bangladesh are up to fifth in the standings with five points from as many matches and more performances like Shakib's could boost their chances of making the semi-finals.

    "He has made it at this World Cup and delivered for the team," Mortaza said in the post-match presentation. "Every match he has come and brought something really exceptional.

    "Hopefully he'll keep going and others will join him. In the last two matches, Mushy [Mushfiqur Rahim] has batted so well; today, Tamim and Soumya [Sarkar (29)] started batting so well."

    For Shakib, another strong batting display was just reward for his own hard work and a call to move up to number three.

    "It feels great - obviously to stay at the wicket until the end was the most satisfying thing," Shakib said. "I've been working on my batting for the past month and a half and it's been paying off.

    "I know that if I bat at number three I'll get more opportunities, I'll get more time to bat. Sometimes, if I bat at number five, I'll come in at the 30th over or the 40th over, which is not ideal for me. So I wanted to bat up the order."

    Asked about the prospect of another ton against Australia on Thursday, he replied: "I hope so. It'll be tough, especially playing against Australia, who are picking up their form. We have to bring our A-game."

    The Windies were particularly disappointing with the ball but beaten skipper Jason Holder felt the problems started with a total of 321-8.

    "We just didn't get enough runs," Holder said. "But having said that, I still think we could have been a lot more disciplined with the ball and we let ourselves down in the field as well.

    "It was just a situation where we never got the momentum we probably should in the middle overs. We had too much to do at the back end.

    "If you score 320 here, you've got to fight really hard in the field to defend it. We didn't get wickets and we let one or two chances slip."

  • Super Shakib inspires Bangladesh to thumping win over Windies Super Shakib inspires Bangladesh to thumping win over Windies

    Shakib Al Hasan's superb Cricket World Cup continued as he compiled an unbeaten century to lead Bangladesh to an emphatic seven-wicket win over West Indies at Taunton.

    The Tigers were undaunted by a target of 322, in-form all-rounder Shakib leading the way with 124 not out - a second successive hundred for the tournament's leading run-scorer - against a sluggish Windies attack.

    Liton Das added an unbeaten 94, sharing 189 with Shakib on a memorable day for Bangladesh, who romped home with 51 balls to spare and leapfrogged Windies into fifth position in the group stage.

    West Indies' own qualification hopes look increasingly slim and they got off to a poor start when opener Chris Gayle was caught behind off Mohammad Saifuddin (3-72) for a 13-ball duck.

    Shai Hope (96 off 121 balls) and Evin Lewis (70 off 67) responded impressively to lay a strong platform, before Shimron Hetmyer (50 off 26) and skipper Jason Holder (33 off 15) raised the tempo in the latter stages of an innings that featured three wickets for Mustafizur Rahman and two for Shakib.

    A total of 321-8 looked to have left Bangladesh facing a tall order, given no team had chased down more than 245 in the competition prior to Monday.

    However, the Tigers got off to a quick start through openers Tamim Iqbal (48) and Soumya Sarkar (29), with the Windies looking lacklustre in the field, before Shakib took centre stage once again.

    Having made 75, 64 and 121 in his previous three innings, Shakib maintained his fine form and found an able partner in Das, with the pair able to score freely all around the wicket.

    The beleaguered Windies simply had no answer to Bangladesh's fourth-wicket pair, with Das even hitting Shannon Gabriel for three sixes in a row as his side closed in on a hugely convincing victory.

     

    Tigers in the hunt for semis, Windies on the brink

    Monday's result realistically preserved Bangladesh's hopes of reaching the semi-finals. They are up to fifth in the table, having beaten South Africa and the Windies in impressive fashion.

    However, after a heavy defeat to England in their previous match, this was another dire performance from West Indies, whose bowling left much to be desired. Since thrashing Pakistan in their opening game, Holder's men have lost three matches and seen another rained off. It is hard to see them recovering from here.

     

    Shakib reaches landmark 

    What a tournament it has been for Shakib, who once again starred for Bangladesh here as well as passing the impressive milestone of 6,000 ODI runs. It was a world-class performance of real maturity and skill from the 32-year-old, who has relished the responsibility of stepping up in the batting order to number three. He also made a key contribution with the ball at Taunton, taking two wickets including the valuable scalp of Lewis. 

  • Morgan not ruling out World Cup call-up for Hales Morgan not ruling out World Cup call-up for Hales

    Eoin Morgan has not closed the door on a potential Cricket World Cup call-up for opener Alex Hales as England battle injuries to their key batsmen.

    Hales was included in his country's preliminary squad but failed to make the final cut having been axed in April due to a suspension imposed for what his spokesperson described as an "off-field incident".

    England look primed to make the semi-finals without Hales, having won three of their four group games so far, but injuries to Jason Roy and Morgan have given the host nation fitness concerns.

    Roy will miss Tuesday's clash with Afghanistan and Friday's encounter against Sri Lanka and, though Morgan (back) could feature in the first of those games, the skipper admitted there have been conversations about potential call-ups.

    And the possibility of Hales being included has not been ruled out.

    "If [national selector] Ed Smith came to myself and [head coach] Trevor [Bayliss] and said he felt that Alex was the best option, we would have to assess how that would sit in the changing room and the stigma it would bring with Alex coming back in," Morgan told the BBC's Test Match Special.

    Ashley Giles, the managing director of England men's team, had said "the door isn't closed" for Hales, and the 30-year-old recently revealed he hoped to be involved in next year's Twenty20 World Cup in Australia.

    Yet, speaking last month, Morgan claimed Hales had "clearly demonstrated a lack of respect" for the team's "values".

    The England captain did reveal on Monday that the injury worries had led to discussions about potential call-ups should the problems prove serious.

    "When we selected the squad, we did have conversations, sort of underlying replacements for particular players," said Morgan. 

    "So they are always ongoing in the background and I'm not involved in a lot of them. I'm sort of quite focused on the group and task at hand. But there are always conversations going on in the background.

    "I think the other day, certainly, it was a matter of getting the two scans back and seeing what process we could go through to get us both back playing as quickly as possible, and once we could get [an] indication when that might be, we would cross that bridge."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.