Skerritt win could mean kaput for Pybus experiment

By April 06, 2019
West Indies head coach Richard Pybus during a net session at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium on January 29, 2019 in Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda. West Indies head coach Richard Pybus during a net session at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium on January 29, 2019 in Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda.

Despite early successes at the helm of the Windies, interim head coach Richard Pybus, could face one of the falling axes from a new administration, led by president of Cricket West Indies (CWI), Ricky Skerritt. 

Pybus oversaw a rare Test series win for the Windies over England in the Caribbean just three months ago and drew a One Day International Series with the world’s best to boot.

However, Skerritt, in an interview with ESPNcricinfo, said there would be a cricket review that will include issues surrounding Pybus.

Pybus’ appointment, Skerrit said, was a ‘vexatious’ issue because the former director of cricket for the CWI, was not from the region.

"I have to tell you that we believe very strongly in localising the expertise that we put behind our teams and we believe only in bringing in non-Caribbean expertise only where it is not available across the region,” said the new president.

“We want to be sure that the team does well at all times with the possible resources but we also have to make sure that they have a Caribbean support team around them," he said.

The idea of ensuring regional people are behind the Windies, could also mean curtains for assistant coach, former Pakistani spin-bowling whiz Mushtaq Ahmed, though there has been no mention of him, in particular.

But Pybus’ appointment as Windies coach, though on an interim basis, had other controversies aligned with it. As director of cricket from 2013-2016, Pybus was responsible for policy that made participation in West Indies domestic cricket mandatory for international selection.

The decision sparked an exodus of much of the talent in the West Indies with players like Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, and Dwayne Bravo, being left out of the Test and ODI teams in particular because they chose to play in T20 leagues around the world that took place in conflict with the timing of the regional 4-day and one day competitions.

“A cricket review is underway, Skerritt had said.

“Announcements will be made following our board meeting on Tuesday,” he added.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents

    Veteran Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo will leave the Trinbago Knight Riders for the Barbados Tridents ahead of the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

    According to reports, the 35-year-old former franchise captain will leave the club after five seasons to become the top pick for the Tridents in the CPL draft on Wednesday.  The Barbadian franchise is accepted to sign the T&T-born player for US$160,000.

    Bravo, who won three titles in the CPL titles in the red gear of T&T, made the announcement via social media on Tuesday.  Two weeks ago it was announced that Kieron Pollard, who spent several years with the Barbados Tridents, before moving to St Kitts and Nevis Patriots last year.  The Tridents are now owned by the USA-based CMG Companies (CMG) leads a team of local and international investors in the acquisition of the cricket franchise in Barbados. 

    The Trinbago Knight Riders captured the team’s third title last year, while the Tridents had their worse ever showing finishing bottom of the table, having won two and lost eight of their 10 games played.

  • Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective

    West Indies vice-captain Chris Gayle said his only focus is trying to win the World Cup, as he has nothing to prove.

  • Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh

    Sri Lanka recorded a timely one-day international victory ahead of the Cricket World Cup as they beat Scotland in a rain-affected contest to end a seven-month winless run in the format.

    Since beating England in a dead rubber in Colombo last October, Sri Lanka had suffered 3-0 and 5-0 whitewashes to New Zealand and South Africa respectively before arriving in Scotland for a two-match series, with the first game abandoned last weekend.

    The weather played a part again at the Grange on Tuesday, but the Sri Lankans were still able to record a morale-boosting 35-run victory on the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method.

    Their top three - Avishka Fernando (74), captain Dimuth Karunaratne (77) and Kusal Mendis (66) - were all able to record half-centuries as they made 322-8 before Scotland were bowled out for 199 chasing a revised target of 235, seamer Nuwan Pradeep taking 4-34.

    Fernando, who made his maiden ODI half-century, and Karunaratne, who made his second - eight years after his first against the same opponent - put on 123 for the first wicket, though Sri Lanka's skipper survived three chances before reaching the milestone.

    The tourists were 204-2 in the 34th over when Karunaratne was finally dismissed and despite Mendis' fine contribution and Lahiru Thirimanne's 44 not out, a flurry of middle-order wickets prevented the final total from being greater.

    Scotland's reply was punctuated by the elements, though both Matthew Cross (55) and George Munsey (61) made half-centuries, and they lost their last seven wickets for just 46 runs having been forced off for 90 minutes due to rain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.