Gonsalves happy with progress of CWI restructure plan after ICC meeting

By Colin Benjamin March 11, 2019
St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister and Chairman of the CARICOM sub-committee on cricket, Ralph Gonsalves St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister and Chairman of the CARICOM sub-committee on cricket, Ralph Gonsalves

St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister and Chairman of the CARICOM sub-committee on cricket, Ralph Gonsalves, is happy with the progress his organization is making with regard to restructuring Cricket West Indies (CWI). 

CARICOM and the International Cricket Council (ICC) met officially to address the governance of West Indies cricket recently and, according to Gonsalves, cricket’s governing body is appreciative of the stance of his organization.

The two entities, one represented by Gonsalves, the other by CEO Dave Richardson, met in Dubai before the just-concluded ICC board meeting.

In April of last year, the ICC had turned down CARICOM’s request to meet, saying the CWI would have to be represented at such a meeting. An alternative of meeting during the Women’s World T20 last November also didn’t happen.

“I spoke to Dave Richardson (Head of Secretariat, ICC) and I outlined to him our position, that is to say that, cricket is a public good and it ought properly to be regulated and ought not to be operated by a private-sector entity,” said Gonsalves, adding that he also pointed out CARICOM’s proposal to change that situation.

“That we want to pass appropriate legislation so that we can  … the State will not be involved, the governments will not be involved in the management but we will have the structure of this public good reflecting constituencies other than the current one to ensure that it is more transparent, that the organization is more transparent and more accountable to the region, reflecting this public good,” he said.

Gonsalves also made sure to point out that CARICOM had no intention of running roughshod over long-held ICC statutes regarding government involvement in the running of the sport.

“We intend to abide by all ICC statutes, we would incorporate best practices, and that’s basically the message, it’s the same we have been preaching all the time. It is not an anti-Cameron message, it is a pro-West Indies cricket message. The people in the region will have an opportunity to discuss the briefing that we will prepare for the legal draftsperson and then we will discuss this bill among the people of the region and then take it to our respective Parliaments,” he said.

CARICOM had suggested in a 2015 report the board be dissolved. All six territorial boards signed a letter rejecting this idea, which led to suggestions by some that CARICOM wanted to take cricket out of the hands of Cameron and the traditional board to replace it with a board of its own.

With an Indian court recently advising the Board of Control for Cricket in India that it could no longer operate as a private entity, CARICOM changed tac and began looking at restructuring the CWI, rather than dissolving it.

"But the question is: Cricket is a public good. Can a private entity run the public good? And that question has been determined in another jurisdiction in India, so that's a separate question. I'm not interested in the dissolution of the West Indies Cricket Board,” Gonsalves had said back in 2017.

As far as that process is going, July could mark the first time that CARICOM members will get a look at the instructions that will go to a draftsperson will look like.

“Hopefully we can get something to the heads of government in time for the July meeting for them to approve of the instructions to go to the draftspersons,” said Gonsalves.

Gonsalves is buoyed by the response of the ICC to CARICOM’s plans, saying its CEO was ‘appreciative’.

“The ICC appreciated that I came to talk to them. They agree also that you can’t have a board being in a hostile relationship with governments or several of the governments. That doesn’t make any sense and that is not good for cricket generally. He was appreciative of what we are trying to do and appreciative of the fact that we are not going to undermine the ICC statutes about the independence of management from any political direction or control.”

Just as pleasing to Gonsalves, is CARICOM’s view on the progress it has made in the name of putting West Indies Cricket back on a path of success.

“CARICOM is happy that I saw the ICC and with the report that I gave to the ICC. So I think we are on target. Every stage of the process thus far has been good,” said the Prime Minister.

Related items

  • MS Dhoni to miss Windies tour to serve in army regiment MS Dhoni to miss Windies tour to serve in army regiment

    MS Dhoni will not be involved when India face West Indies on their tour of the Caribbean as he will instead serve time with his army regiment.

    There were suggestions the former India captain - who called time on his Test career in 2014 - would be retiring from ODIs following the Cricket World Cup.

    But while those reports have proven premature, Dhoni will be taking a break from the sport for the next two months.

    The 38-year-old is an honorary lieutenant colonel in India's Territorial Army, and will now spend the majority of his time away from cricket with his regiment.

    "MS Dhoni is not retiring from cricket right now," a senior official from the Board of Control for Cricket in India told PTI.

    "He has made himself unavailable for the tour of the West Indies as he will be spending two months with his paramilitary regiment."

    India's squad will be confirmed on July 21, with the tour to begin on August 3.

  • Morgan failing to make sense of England's 'crazy' World Cup triumph Morgan failing to make sense of England's 'crazy' World Cup triumph

    England's dramatic Cricket World Cup final victory over New Zealand does not feel like a fair result, according to Eoin Morgan.

    The showpiece at Lord's went down to a super over, after Ben Stokes had inadvertently deflected Martin Guptill's throw out for a boundary to keep England's chances of victory alive.

    Stokes and Jos Buttler then amassed 15 runs in the additional over, a total which was matched by New Zealand, but an incredible contest was settled in England's favour courtesy of Morgan's side hitting more boundaries throughout their innings.

    And Morgan conceded he has still not quite been able to make sense of the triumph, and is slightly troubled by winning in such a manner.

    "I don't think it's fair to have a result like that when there's very little between the sides," Morgan told the Times.

    "I don't think there was one moment that you could say, 'That actually cost the game there'. It was quite balanced.

    "I'm black and white. I'm normally going, 'I know. I was there, that happened'. [But] I can't stick my finger on where the game was won and lost.

    "I'm not sure winning it makes it any easier. A little bit [troubled], because there's no defining moment that you'd say: 'Yes, we thoroughly deserved it.' It's just been crazy."

    Morgan added he has been in contact with his Black Caps counterpart Kane Williamson, who shares his disbelief at how the final panned out.

    "I spoke to Kane [Williamson] over the last couple of days on numerous occasions and none of us has come up with a rational explanation as to the various times we gave them the game and they gave it back to us," Morgan added.

    "Like me, he can't get his head around everything."

    Former New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum, meanwhile, has no doubt the Black Caps - also runners up in the 2015 World Cup - will bounce back from the result, despite being "broken" at the moment.

    "That's the thing and it's going to be so difficult for those guys," McCullum told stuff.co.nz. "I was lucky enough to have a beer with them in the changing room and they were pretty broken, that's for sure.

    "They were also really proud of what they did and how well they played. Over the coming months and years, whilst it's still raw now, they'll understand just how magnificent that spectacle was.

    "And for it to happen on the biggest of stages, to have played the hand that they played in that match is absolutely amazing."

  • Anderson provides positive injury update for Ashes Anderson provides positive injury update for Ashes

    James Anderson is unsure if he will feature in England's Test against Ireland but says he feels "good" ahead of the Ashes.

    England's record Test wicket-taker sustained a calf muscle tear in Lancashire's County Championship clash with Durham at the start of this month.

    The seamer, who turns 37 in August, may not be risked for a four-day encounter with Ireland at Lord's, but allayed concerns over whether he will be fit to face Australia when the five-match series starts at Edgbaston on August 1.

    "We meet up on Monday and at the moment I feel good," Anderson told the BBC.

    "I will keep bowling and we will monitor it. If it comes to Wednesday and I'm fit to play [against Ireland] then great, but if not I will work towards being fit for the Ashes."

    Anderson says Joe Root's side must build on the feel-good factor created by the ODI team following England's Cricket World Cup triumph last weekend.

    "It's a really exciting time for English cricket. I think it was an amazing final and the reaction to it has been phenomenal," he added.

    "It's time to re-focus on to Test cricket. We realise the dangers that the Australian team bring to Test cricket, so we're going to have to be fully focused on that.

    "We can't afford to hang on to the World Cup win. It's our job as English cricketers to try and carry that momentum on and hopefully an Ashes win will do that."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.