Morgan 'extremely proud' after England embarrass Windies

By Sports Desk March 08, 2019

Captain Eoin Morgan expressed his pride after England humiliated West Indies by 137 runs to seal a comprehensive Twenty20 series victory Friday.

England embarrassed the Windies, who were bowled out for just 45 – the second-lowest T20 international total – with 49 balls to spare at Warner Park in Basseterre.

Man-of-the-match Sam Billings and Joe Root had rescued England from 32-4 to set West Indies a target of 182-6 in the second T20.

Chris Jordan then took four wickets for just six runs from two overs to condemn the Windies to their lowest T20 total.

"Extremely proud," Morgan said. "We didn't get off to a great start, conditions were completely different to St Lucia but one huge positive today and probably our biggest improvement since then is we've adapted to conditions really well.

"I thought the partnership between Joe and Sam was outstanding, and then Sam kicked on to get us to an above par score. From there, we grabbed the momentum."

Billings produced a star performance after scoring 87 runs from just 47 deliveries – combining with Joe Root (55 off 40) to set the tone for England.

"It was a nice situation, in that I could give myself time and cash in at the end. I tried to play the field and put pressure on the bowlers as much as possible," Billings said. "We knew that with 165-plus we were in the game and luckily we got early wickets. It was a great win. We want to win the series 3-0 now. Cricket is a momentum game and we've got to keep putting in the performances."

England bowler Jordan added via Sky Sports: "It's definitely up there. I was glad I could come in and contribute to the team. We didn't get the best start but Sam and Rooty batted brilliantly to get us to what was an over-par score.

"My rhythm feels really good at the minute. I've done some good work with Shane Bond at Sydney Thunder then continuing it here with Chris Silverwood (England bowling coach). I tried to string together a few days and keep building confidence like that. I'm more than happy that it came off."

It was a forgettable night for the Windies and captain Jason Holder said: "I think it was just one of those games. It's been our worst batting performance of this three-format series so far. We need to regroup and look at a few areas and correct them."

Related items

  • Simmons, Archer lead surprise CPL draft snubs Simmons, Archer lead surprise CPL draft snubs

    Eyebrows were raised around the region after several high-profile players failed to find a home during Wednesday’s Caribbean Premier League (CPL) draft in London.

    Leading the list of notable Caribbean absentees for the upcoming season were Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith, Sunil Ambris, Davendra Bishoo and Kevon Cooper. 

    The case of Simmons is particularly surprising as things seem to have spun in a 180-degree direction.  Only a few months ago the player was selected as the first pick of the 2018 draft for the St Lucia Stars.

    On that occasion, Simmons went for $US 160,000 after entering the draft for $US 70,000.  The Trinidadian native entered the draft at the same price but this time around but found no takers.

    The much-travelled Simmons previously played for the Jamaica Tallahwahs, Guyana Amazon Warriors and St Kitts and Nevis Patriots.  The 36-year-old Smith, who previously opened for Barbados Tridents and Amazon Warriors, also found himself without a team after entering in the $US 70,000 category.

     Another stunning omission, maybe the most surprising, from the team selection was Barbadian born Englishman Jofra Archer, who was the most expensive ever Caribbean-born player for the 2018 IPL season.  The all-rounder also had several big performances in the Australia Big Bash League.  The player was recently selected for the England World Cup squad.

     

  • Walton elated to be back with Tallawahs Walton elated to be back with Tallawahs

    Opening batsman Chadwick Walton has expressed delight at being back home with the Jamaica Tallahwahs for the 2019 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) season.

    The 33-year-old batsman played four years for the Tallawahs before moving away to the Guyana Amazon Warriors after a lucrative contract offer in 2017.  Walton recently booked a return to the Jamaica-based franchise after being drafted third in the Hero CPL draft on Wednesday.

     “I'm elated to come home, I couldn't be happier. It's always a different joy to be able to play for your home franchise and it's a franchise I've won with before,” Walton said in an interview with the Jamaica Observer.

    “I'm satisfied with the teammates that have been drafted. We should be able to go very far in the tournament with the quality that we have,” he added.

    Walton made a solid impact in his first year with the Warriors, winning player of the tournament in 2017.  Despite making the final with the franchise who lost to Trinbago Knight Riders last season, the player saw his numbers dip overall after a difficult patch.

    “I enjoyed my seasons with the Amazon Warriors. We did have some success, but it was a pity we didn't go on to win it (CPL). My career path has taken me back home and hopefully, we can win again.”

    Walton was a part of two title-winning teams with the Tallawahs in 2013 and 2017.

  • UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban

    UEFA has dismissed an appeal from the Football Association of Montenegro over a one-game ban handed out for racist behaviour by their supporters in the Euro 2020 qualifier against England.

    Montenegro were ordered to play their next competitive home fixture behind closed doors, as well as display a banner with the wording '#EqualGame' following incidents during the fixture on March 25.

    England players Callum Hudson-Odoi, Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling were subjected to racist chanting during their side's 5-1 victory in Podgorica.

    While Montenegro challenged the outcome of an Ethics and Disciplinary Body hearing on April 26, UEFA upheld the initial punishments, including a €20,000 fine for setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, crowd disturbances and the blocking of stairways.

    Meanwhile, UEFA announced Bosnia-Herzegovina's appeal against a two-game suspension for Miralem Pjanic was partially upheld.

    The Juventus midfielder was shown a straight red card for a challenge in the second half of the 2-2 Group J draw with Greece on March 26.

    However, Pjanic's ban has been halved, meaning he will only miss the trip to Finland on June 8 before returning for the clash with Italy three days later.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.