CWI President Dave Cameron to host town hall meeting at Sabina Park, March 21

By March 07, 2019

Cricket West Indies President Dave Cameron is to host a town hall meeting at Sabina Park on March 21, in what, he says, is an effort to further enfranchise West Indies cricket fans and stakeholders.

The meeting is scheduled to begin at 6:30 pm. (77:30 pm AST)

At the meeting, Cameron will present a summary of CWI’s achievements while sharing how some of the suggestions from previous public sessions were integrated into the organization’s plans.

Cameron has also extended an invitation to the newly elected top brass of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), who are expected to raise questions about his tenure and his plans for the future of Windies cricket.

At the start of the second term of Cameron’s presidency in March 2015, he and vice president Emmanuel Nanthan hosted a series of town hall meetings in St. Lucia, Dominica, St Kitts, Nevis, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Antigua and Barbuda, and Jamaica.

“We wanted the board to integrate the public into its decision-making,” Cameron reasoned, explaining that meetings were timed to coincide with international home series matches or when the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) was being played.

Since then suggestions brought forward at the town hall meetings have been incorporated into the organization’s strategic goals and have helped to shape policy on how fans can have a greater impact on the sport.

Common issues that surfaced at past meetings were related to player relations, allocation of funds to national federations, and assignment of matches to venues.

Late last year Cameron visited with cricket clubs and business officials across the region and hosted smaller group discussions. Coinciding with England’s tour of the Caribbean this year, he has held additional stakeholder sessions in Barbados, St. Lucia and Trinidad & Tobago.

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Curacao set sights on toppling Jamaica Reggae Boyz Curacao set sights on toppling Jamaica Reggae Boyz

    After earning its first-ever CONCACAF Gold Cup win, Curacao has its sights set on adding to its story as it faces Jamaica for a spot in the quarterfinals on Tuesday at Banc of California Stadium.

    Curacao controls its destiny and needs only a win to assure itself a spot in the next round. A draw would have its players hoping for a Honduras win in the second match of the evening.

    Not wanting to depend on outside results, Head Coach Remko Bicentini knows what his players must accomplish.

    “We must win, we must score a goal. We cannot, the whole game, play in defence,” said the Curacao Manager in a pre-match press conference.

    “We must score one more goal than Jamaica and we are through to the next round.”

    Bicentini counts on a squad with 18 of his 23-man roster based in European leagues at the club level – the most of any squad in this year’s Gold Cup.

    Forward Elson Hooi is one of eleven players who practice their club careers in the Netherlands. He scored his first two international goals against Jamaica in the 2017 Caribbean Cup final.

    “For myself, the national team is more important than my own team so it means a lot,” said Hooi in Monday’s presser. “Our players are very happy. We worked so hard for this. Now we just stay together and work hard to win the third game.”

    The two teams also met in Curacao’s first Gold Cup appearance two years ago, a tournament Bicentini continuously points to as a learning experience.

    On Tuesday, the two Caribbean nations meet once more with high stakes on the line.

    “The whole team from Jamaica is very powerful,” said Bicentini. “We learned from our first Gold Cup in 2017 and that was our preparation for this tournament.”

  • England captain Morgan not panicking after back-to-back losses England captain Morgan not panicking after back-to-back losses

    Eoin Morgan remains upbeat about England's semi-final prospects despite seeing his side slip to a second successive Cricket World Cup loss to Australia at Lord's.

    Reigning champions Australia became the first team to seal their last-four berth with a 64-run success, captain Aaron Finch scoring 100 in their 285-7 before the recalled Jason Behrendorff (5-44) and the tournament's leading wicket-taker Mitchell Starc (4-43) helped dismiss England for 221.

    The tournament hosts, who lost to Pakistan and were beaten by Sri Lanka last week, could have slipped out of the top four by the time they play their penultimate fixture against India at Edgbaston on Sunday.

    However, Morgan, whose men face unbeaten New Zealand in their final group game, is confident the pre-tournament favourites can get back on track.

    "I think given the circumstances it's not hugely disappointing – our fate is in our own hands the next two games that we play," he said at the post-match presentation.

    "If we can control that and produce performances, we'll be in a healthy position come the latter stages.

    "I think everything we need to turn around is quite simple. We're not going to search for anything that's not there. The basics of the game have let us down the last couple of games so we're going to hopefully improve on them moving forward."

    Morgan claimed England were "outplayed" and pointed to the disappointing start to their reply as James Vince, Joe Root and the captain himself all fell inside the opening six overs to leave them on 26-3.

    "Until the 25th [over of Australia's innings], they sort of dominated," he said.

    "I thought we pegged them back really well – for a long time they looked like they were going to get 330 or 340; to restrict them to 280 was a good effort.

    "But when you make inroads early and get us 20-3, it obviously pegs us back quite substantially."

    Australia's decision to bring in Behrendorff for Nathan Coulter-Nile paid off as he claimed his best figures in ODIs, but it was Starc who took the most crucial wicket, Ben Stokes (89) undone by a brilliant yorker when it had looked like he might be England's hero.

    "You can't win the tournament if you don't make the semis so that's the first part ticked off, which is a really nice feeling," said Finch. 

    "We've played some good cricket throughout so far so touch wood it keeps going in the right direction.

    "England are a standout side and they're a team that can take you apart with the ball and with the bat in certain stages.

    "Even you saw today we got them down four down quite quickly and then Stokes and [Jos] Buttler build a partnership and Stokesy, when he gets in, can be pretty brutal on an attack.

    "It was nice that we found ways to keep getting wickets in that middle part as well."

  • Australia clinch semi-final spot as England lose again Australia clinch semi-final spot as England lose again

    Australia became the first team to seal a spot in the Cricket World Cup semi-finals as captain Aaron Finch hit a century and Jason Behrendorff claimed 5-44 to consign England to a second straight loss.

    The reigning champions secured a sixth win from seven games by claiming a 64-run triumph at Lord's, Finch scoring 100 in their 285-7 before Australia's seamers starred, dismissing England for 221 inside 45 overs.

    Finch was part of a 123-run opening stand with David Warner (53) but Australia did not build on their early momentum having been 185-2 in the 36th over, with middle-order trio Steve Smith (38), Glenn Maxwell (12) and Marcus Stoinis (8) all unable to kick on.

    Having failed to chase down 233 in a 20-run loss to Sri Lanka four days earlier, England's semi-final aspirations took another big blow as they once again came up short, despite more heroics from Ben Stokes (89).

    The recalled Behrendorff set the tone by bowling James Vince (0) with the innings' second ball and though he took five wickets for the first time in an ODI, it was Mitchell Starc (4-43) who crucially ended Stokes' knock - and effectively England's hopes - with a brilliant yorker.

     

    STARC SENDS BACK SUPER STOKES

    Having looked like the man who might drag his team over the line against Sri Lanka at Headingley, Stokes was again bidding to be the hero at the Home of Cricket.

    Coming in with England 26-3 in the sixth over, Stokes' approach to come down the track to the seamers was paying dividends until Starc cleaned him up with a full delivery that ducked in late.

    Stokes, who made an unbeaten 82 against Sri Lanka, had put on two half-century partnerships with Jos Buttler (71 for the fifth wicket) and Chris Woakes (53 for the sixth wicket) but England's hopes went with him, Starc later taking his tally to a tournament-leading 19 wickets.

    FAR FROM IN-VINCE-IBLE

    England opener Vince made a third successive appearance due to Jason Roy's lingering hamstring problem, and it might just be his last.

    A scoreless Vince was bowled through the gate by an inswinger from Behrendorff when attempting to drive as the hosts suffered a disastrous start, Joe Root and Eoin Morgan both fell in single figures too. It was a position they were unable to ever fully recover from.

    This was Vince's 11th ODI innings and he has passed 50 just once. England will be hoping Roy is able to return against India on Sunday for what has now become a crucial fixture.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.