CWI too busy fighting fires to focus on cricket - Ricky Skerritt

By March 06, 2019

Ricky Skerritt believes Cricket West Indies is too busy fighting fires to focus on developing the sport in the region.

The Skerritt and Dr Kishore Shallow ticket is hoping to unseat the incumbents Dave Cameron and Emmanuel Nanthan, who have lead CWI since 2013. However, Skerritt thinks the time has come for change citing many issues of concern with the current administration.

“One of the things that jump out is the fact that CWI is fighting too many battles with too many stakeholders,” Skerritt said during a press briefing on Wednesday.

“The only battles we should be fighting should be on the field of play.”

CWI has been at loggerheads with several Caribbean governments over the past few years concerning the governance of the sport and the poor performances of the senior men’s team, which is currently near the bottom of the current world rankings in Tests and ODIs and have been falling steadily down the T20 rankings.

However, in the last three years, the Windies have won both ICC World T20 titles and the U19 World title. The Windies also just defeated England to reclaim the Wisden trophy after 10 years. The team also played to a 2-2 draw with England, the best ODI team in the world.

Last year, the Women’s team advanced to the semi-finals of the ICC Women’s Championships, losing to eventual champions Australia.

Notwithstanding these successes, Skerritt believes that there are still too many conflicts going on in regional cricket that have taken the focus of the CWI off the sport. That focus, he said, should be strategies that will eventually get the Windies back to the top of the sport.

“The grassroots cricket, the development of requirements, coaching development, the high-performance system,” he said, “all of the key ingredients that are essential for building a sustainable approach to cricket development so that we are producing over the next several years and the foreseeable future, all of the future young players, young West Indians who love cricket and who are proud of cricket whether they become stars or not.”

Skerritt said what is needed now is new thinking and “an inclusive approach with the highest level of integrity and sincerity.”

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Simmons, Archer lead surprise CPL draft snubs Simmons, Archer lead surprise CPL draft snubs

    Eyebrows were raised around the region after several high-profile players failed to find a home during Wednesday’s Caribbean Premier League (CPL) draft in London.

    Leading the list of notable Caribbean absentees for the upcoming season were Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith, Sunil Ambris, Davendra Bishoo and Kevon Cooper. 

    The case of Simmons is particularly surprising as things seem to have spun in a 180-degree direction.  Only a few months ago the player was selected as the first pick of the 2018 draft for the St Lucia Stars.

    On that occasion, Simmons went for $US 160,000 after entering the draft for $US 70,000.  The Trinidadian native entered the draft at the same price but this time around but found no takers.

    The much-travelled Simmons previously played for the Jamaica Tallahwahs, Guyana Amazon Warriors and St Kitts and Nevis Patriots.  The 36-year-old Smith, who previously opened for Barbados Tridents and Amazon Warriors, also found himself without a team after entering in the $US 70,000 category.

     Another stunning omission, maybe the most surprising, from the team selection was Barbadian born Englishman Jofra Archer, who was the most expensive ever Caribbean-born player for the 2018 IPL season.  The all-rounder also had several big performances in the Australia Big Bash League.  The player was recently selected for the England World Cup squad.

     

  • Tridents look to put poor season behind them with Alex Hales, good draft business Tridents look to put poor season behind them with Alex Hales, good draft business

    After failing to make the playoffs of the 2018 Hero Caribbean Premier League, the Barbados Tridents have made some of the most notable drafts in the 2019 edition of the competition.

    The Tridents, after being forced to take on new ownership just over a week ago, have already gone about the business of turning their fortunes around with the employ of England’s big-hitting opener, Alex Hales during the CPL’s draft on Wednesday, which took place at the Gfinity eSports Arena in London.

    The Tridents wasted little time in using the very first pick of the draft to snare the big-hitting England batsman, who, speaking later during the draft, said he was thrilled to be heading back to an island he described as one of his favourite places to play cricket for what will be his first taste of the biggest party in sport.

    Hales also wants to get back into the England set up, and hopes playing in tournaments like the CPL will do that.

    “I think it's a good opportunity. These tournaments now are well-respected all around the world, particularly by the selectors and ECB. So yeah I'd love to use these tournaments to hopefully get back into the frame for next year,” said Hales.

    In addition, the Tridents, who just days ago, announced West Indies captain Jason Holder as their marquee player, have also picked up Wahab Riaz, Asif Ali and Sandeep Lamichane.

    Those three will combine with locals in Johnson Charles, Shai Hope, Ashley Nurse, Jonathan Carter, Chemar Holder, Roshon Primus, Raymon Reifer, Joshua Bishop, Justin Greaves, and Hayden Walsh.

    From overseas, the Tridents will also employ the use of Leniko Boucher, Imad Wasim in the line-up.

    The Hero Caribbean Premier League begins on September 4 and continues through to October 12.

    The Trinbago Knight Riders are the defending champions and are expected to be hunting for a historic three-peat this season, having won in 2015, 2017 and 2018.

  • Notts sign India spinner Ashwin Notts sign India spinner Ashwin

    Ravichandran Ashwin will join Nottinghamshire for the second half of the County Championship season.

    The India spinner, their fourth highest Test wicket-taker of all time, will link up with his new team-mates in time for the home match with Essex at Trent Bridge starting on June 30.

    He will also feature against Somerset and Surrey, before missing the match with Yorkshire because of his India commitments. Ashwin is expected to be back for the last three matches of the Championship season versus Kent, Warwickshire and Surrey.

    "I'm really looking forward to joining up with Nottinghamshire, to playing cricket at an iconic venue like Trent Bridge and hopefully contributing to some County Championship victories," Ashwin told Notts' official website.

    "I enjoyed my previous stint in England with Worcestershire. It's a good, competitive standard of cricket over there and I can't wait to get started."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.