Morgan calls for England to curb their enthusiasm after St Lucia setback

By Sports Desk March 02, 2019

Eoin Morgan conceded England failed to adapt on a bouncy St Lucia pitch after slumping to 113 all out in the final one-day international in the series against West Indies.

The tourists had smashed 418-6 in Grenada on Wednesday but were unable to cope against the home team's four-man pace attack three days later, their innings lasting 28.1 overs as the final five wickets went down for two runs.

Chris Gayle hammered 77 from just 27 deliveries to help the Windies canter to a seven-wicket victory with 227 balls to spare, meaning the five-match series ended in a 2-2 draw after one fixture was washed out.

For Morgan, the performance raised concerns over his team's ability to change from their normal aggressive approach when conditions may not necessarily suit, albeit they will have home advantage for this year's Cricket World Cup.

"We struggled throughout the whole innings with the bat when it came to adapting to conditions," the England skipper said at the presentation ceremony.

"An extra bit of bounce in the wicket is not something we come up against very often and we struggled massively on it.

"We were way off the ball and the West Indies forced a lot of errors from us. It was a one-horse race – we didn't deserve to win the game. 

"It's quite difficult to curb what has been your natural reaction for the last couple of weeks. The honest answer is we need to get better at it.  

"When we come up in different conditions it is never easy for any side, but you need to adapt on the day and find a way to score runs, occupy the crease and manage the innings better than we did. 

"We've done it on slower, lower wickets, on turning wickets too, but we are yet to do it on a wicket like [this one]. 

"I'd like to think that we can learn from the mistakes we've made and look forward, rather than back."

Head coach Trevor Bayliss was disappointed with the decision-making from England's much-hyped top order, with the majority dismissed when attempting to take on short deliveries.

"It was a poor performance. Some woeful shots and after that we were never in the game," Bayliss told Sky Sports.

"We didn't adapt at all. We found during the Test series that bouncy wicket are our Achilles heel. We don't get to often play on those type of wickets in England, so it's not a strength of ours."

Related items

  • Simmons, Archer lead surprise CPL draft snubs Simmons, Archer lead surprise CPL draft snubs

    Eyebrows were raised around the region after several high-profile players failed to find a home during Wednesday’s Caribbean Premier League (CPL) draft in London.

    Leading the list of notable Caribbean absentees for the upcoming season were Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith, Sunil Ambris, Davendra Bishoo and Kevon Cooper. 

    The case of Simmons is particularly surprising as things seem to have spun in a 180-degree direction.  Only a few months ago the player was selected as the first pick of the 2018 draft for the St Lucia Stars.

    On that occasion, Simmons went for $US 160,000 after entering the draft for $US 70,000.  The Trinidadian native entered the draft at the same price but this time around but found no takers.

    The much-travelled Simmons previously played for the Jamaica Tallahwahs, Guyana Amazon Warriors and St Kitts and Nevis Patriots.  The 36-year-old Smith, who previously opened for Barbados Tridents and Amazon Warriors, also found himself without a team after entering in the $US 70,000 category.

     Another stunning omission, maybe the most surprising, from the team selection was Barbadian born Englishman Jofra Archer, who was the most expensive ever Caribbean-born player for the 2018 IPL season.  The all-rounder also had several big performances in the Australia Big Bash League.  The player was recently selected for the England World Cup squad.

     

  • Walton elated to be back with Tallawahs Walton elated to be back with Tallawahs

    Opening batsman Chadwick Walton has expressed delight at being back home with the Jamaica Tallahwahs for the 2019 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) season.

    The 33-year-old batsman played four years for the Tallawahs before moving away to the Guyana Amazon Warriors after a lucrative contract offer in 2017.  Walton recently booked a return to the Jamaica-based franchise after being drafted third in the Hero CPL draft on Wednesday.

     “I'm elated to come home, I couldn't be happier. It's always a different joy to be able to play for your home franchise and it's a franchise I've won with before,” Walton said in an interview with the Jamaica Observer.

    “I'm satisfied with the teammates that have been drafted. We should be able to go very far in the tournament with the quality that we have,” he added.

    Walton made a solid impact in his first year with the Warriors, winning player of the tournament in 2017.  Despite making the final with the franchise who lost to Trinbago Knight Riders last season, the player saw his numbers dip overall after a difficult patch.

    “I enjoyed my seasons with the Amazon Warriors. We did have some success, but it was a pity we didn't go on to win it (CPL). My career path has taken me back home and hopefully, we can win again.”

    Walton was a part of two title-winning teams with the Tallawahs in 2013 and 2017.

  • UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban

    UEFA has dismissed an appeal from the Football Association of Montenegro over a one-game ban handed out for racist behaviour by their supporters in the Euro 2020 qualifier against England.

    Montenegro were ordered to play their next competitive home fixture behind closed doors, as well as display a banner with the wording '#EqualGame' following incidents during the fixture on March 25.

    England players Callum Hudson-Odoi, Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling were subjected to racist chanting during their side's 5-1 victory in Podgorica.

    While Montenegro challenged the outcome of an Ethics and Disciplinary Body hearing on April 26, UEFA upheld the initial punishments, including a €20,000 fine for setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, crowd disturbances and the blocking of stairways.

    Meanwhile, UEFA announced Bosnia-Herzegovina's appeal against a two-game suspension for Miralem Pjanic was partially upheld.

    The Juventus midfielder was shown a straight red card for a challenge in the second half of the 2-2 Group J draw with Greece on March 26.

    However, Pjanic's ban has been halved, meaning he will only miss the trip to Finland on June 8 before returning for the clash with Italy three days later.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.