Jason Holder joins in the call to fight England and Kolpak

By March 02, 2019
Jason Holder Jason Holder

Windies skipper Jason Holder is again at odds with English cricket and the way it’s structure, which allows players to take lucrative deals under what is known as a Kolpak deal is achieved.

Kolpak deals come at the cost of a player’s international cricket career, with the most recent example being Duanne Olivier, a South African who earned his ODI debut last year.

Olivier shocked South Africa when he announced his retirement from International duty in favour of a three-year deal with Yorkshire.

The move prompted former South Africa batsman, Albie Morkel, who joined Surrey after ending his international career, to voice his hope that Cricket South Africa (CSA) does something to stop any possible ‘drain’ on the country’s major cricket resources, it’s talent.

"They [CSA] have to sit down and come up with plans because they're going to lose a lot of players in the near future and they need to protect against that.

"Do you structure the contracting a little bit better? What security do you give the guys [for] life after cricket? You talk about investing, but once a guy retires, they sort of drift away. I can name a number of players who they have invested a lot of money in, but you don't see them coaching, you don't see them involved with our academies.

"Give those guys a platform and say, 'We've invested in you for so many years, when you're thinking of settling down or moving on, this is where we see a role for you'.

"I think that communication is not great at the moment so that's something they can improve on.

"I was settled in the team so, for me, it was easier to put offers aside and focus on playing with South Africa.

"It's harder for those guys who are in and out of the team. If the communication channels aren't great and you're not sure where you fit in, that's where the biggest challenge comes in. Communication is the key in any business.

"It's never nice…it always paints a bad picture of cricket in South Africa. But that's unfortunately part of our DNA and the struggles we have in South Africa."

Oliver’s move came just two years after Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw signed deals with Hampshire.

Holder has gone one step further than his South African counterpart, the Windies captain looking toward the International Cricket Council to protect other nations from the possibility of losing all their talent to the English game.

"It's really sad to see another quality player lost to Kolpak cricket," Holder said. "Until something is properly done to keep players a little bit more grounded financially I don't know how much longer you can continue putting up the front,” said Holder.

"People still want to see international cricket being at the forefront. I just think, going forward, we need to find a way to keep players playing for their country so we can have an attractive product,” said the Windies Captain, who oversaw a drawn ODI series against England on Saturday.

"Probably the ICC and FICA needs to get together and institute a substantial minimum salary so that players will feel comfortable coming home to represent their country,” he said.

"Test cricket is something that has picked up in the last year and a half. West Indies beating England; Sri Lanka beating South Africa: these are significant things. These can continue to spark Test cricket. There's so much prestige behind it and so much work behind it. I can only hope we can find some common ground where players are properly compensated and encouraged to play Test cricket as opposed to running off to domestic leagues.

"Personally I have had a few conversations with people at FICA. They are doing a hell of a job trying to get a level playing field for everyone and trying to have a fair standard for players and for leagues to be able to attract players. I don't want to speak of a figure at this time but I've had discussions with people at FICA and we are trying to find solutions to these problems.

"It's just ongoing discussions. I don't know if we'll find a middle ground as soon as we like. Hopefully in the not too distant future we can find common ground where players are playing for their countries and also have time to play in domestic leagues."

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • XI Punjab coach Hesson has high hopes for 'new Gayle' Pooran XI Punjab coach Hesson has high hopes for 'new Gayle' Pooran

    Kings XI Punjab coach Mike Hesson has hailed young West Indies batsman Nicholas Pooran as the new Chris Gayle, tipping the player for a big impact ahead of the new IPL season.

    The 23-year-old will play in the IPL for a second season, having been drafted by Islamabad in 2017.  On the bag of several impressive performances this season, the Trinidad and Tobago-born batsman was purchased by XI Punjab at the IPL 2019 auction for a whopping Rs 42 million (Rs 4.2 crore).  The price was a surprise for some, but Hesson is confident it will pay dividends for Punjab, who are looking to recover from a somewhat disappointing 2018 season.

    “I am sure you all are excited about him when you look at the numbers he is putting up around the world at the moment,” Hesson said.

    Pooran has appeared in six T20 Internationals and scored 105 runs at an average of 26.25. With five sixes, he has an impressive strike rate of 156.

    “Obviously, he’s just been introduced to West Indies one-day international squad. He’s been a dynamic performer around the scene with strike-rates nearing the 200s in some competitions. Left-hand bat, I would always call him a young Chris Gayle with that imposing nature. The ability to play spin and hit spin outside the park could play well,” he added.

  • Is there merit in Sir Viv's call to back Skerritt for CWI president? Is there merit in Sir Viv's call to back Skerritt for CWI president?

    The Zone team takes a closer look at Sir Viv Richards claim that electing Skerritt would bring respectability back to the post of CWI president. 

  • Bayern Munich's Hudson-Odoi interest a boost for England - Ashworth Bayern Munich's Hudson-Odoi interest a boost for England - Ashworth

    Bayern Munich's interest in Callum Hudson-Odoi proves England's future is in good hands, according to former Football Association technical director Dan Ashworth.

    Chelsea youngster Hudson-Odoi is yet to start a Premier League game this season, but was the subject of several big-money offers from Bundesliga champions Bayern in January.

    Hudson-Odoi has impressed when given the chance in domestic cup competitions and the Europa League and that has been enough to earn a first national team call up for England's upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Czech Republic and Montenegro, while Jadon Sancho – who has starred at Borussia Dortmund this term – is also in Gareth Southgate's squad.

    And Ashworth, who left his role at the FA to join Premier League side Brighton and Hove Albion, believes foreign interest in England's youth players bodes well for the future.

    "The standard of young player coming through now, compared to when I started in youth development 20-something years ago, is chalk and cheese," Ashworth told the Telegraph. 

    "There's a massive difference. If our players are playing at the top end, the top leagues, for top clubs such as Dortmund, it means other nations are looking at our players and recognising the talent that is in the system [and] they are getting big-match experiences, and big games. 

    "These are some big-hitters like Bayern after some young English talent and that can only be good for the English game. It means we are producing players and people that others find attractive."

    Joining Hudson-Odoi for his first international call up is West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, who has been drafted into Southgate's squad after switching allegiance to England from the Republic of Ireland, who he played for at youth level as well as making three friendly appearances for the first team.

    And though acknowledging that England cannot expect talented players of dual nationality to represent them, Ashworth insists the FA should have no concerns in attempting to recruit players also eligible for other countries.

    "A lot of people have a lot of different ties, emotions," Ashworth said. "We have 75 under-15s on our radar, our 'long list', and 55 have dual or more nationality.

    "That gives us a bigger and better pool of players to pick from, but it also brings words of warning to governing bodies and national associations, don't assume they are locked into your particular nation because, like in club land, there might be more suitors looking.

    "You look at other sports and countries, and you want to recruit from the biggest pool you possibly can. Every other nation is using those rules to expand their pool of players. Why isn't England?"

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.