Gayle could reconsider retirement plans

By Sports Desk February 28, 2019
Windies batting star Chris Gayle. Windies batting star Chris Gayle.

After a sensational performance to date against England, Windies batting star Chris Gayle has hinted he might reconsider his imminent retirement from One Day International (ODI) cricket.

The 39-year-old hardly looked his age as he bludgeoned a six-filled 162 against England in the fourth ODI at the Grenada National Cricket ground.  Combined with a blistering 135 in the first match in Bridgetown and 50 in the second, it seems the veteran batsman has lost none of his ability to dominate bowlers.

Earlier this month, Gayle had announced his intention to retire from the ODI format following the 2019 World Cup in England.  It seems the recent strong showing has at least prompted the batsman to consider a change of heart.

"I've been playing a lot of T20 cricket, so it's always going to be a difficult coming back into 50 over cricket. But eventually, the body gets accustomed to the 50-over format," Gayle said.

"I just have to work on the body, and then maybe you can see a bit more Chris Gayle. Things change quickly. Hopefully, the body can change in the next couple of months and we can see what happens,” he added.

"What's the matter with the body? I'm nearly 40. But could I un-retire? We'll see. We'll take it slowly," he added.

 

Related items

  • Walton elated to be back with Tallawahs Walton elated to be back with Tallawahs

    Opening batsman Chadwick Walton has expressed delight at being back home with the Jamaica Tallahwahs for the 2019 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) season.

    The 33-year-old batsman played four years for the Tallawahs before moving away to the Guyana Amazon Warriors after a lucrative contract offer in 2017.  Walton recently booked a return to the Jamaica-based franchise after being drafted third in the Hero CPL draft on Wednesday.

     “I'm elated to come home, I couldn't be happier. It's always a different joy to be able to play for your home franchise and it's a franchise I've won with before,” Walton said in an interview with the Jamaica Observer.

    “I'm satisfied with the teammates that have been drafted. We should be able to go very far in the tournament with the quality that we have,” he added.

    Walton made a solid impact in his first year with the Warriors, winning player of the tournament in 2017.  Despite making the final with the franchise who lost to Trinbago Knight Riders last season, the player saw his numbers dip overall after a difficult patch.

    “I enjoyed my seasons with the Amazon Warriors. We did have some success, but it was a pity we didn't go on to win it (CPL). My career path has taken me back home and hopefully, we can win again.”

    Walton was a part of two title-winning teams with the Tallawahs in 2013 and 2017.

  • UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban UEFA dismisses Montenegro appeal against stadium ban

    UEFA has dismissed an appeal from the Football Association of Montenegro over a one-game ban handed out for racist behaviour by their supporters in the Euro 2020 qualifier against England.

    Montenegro were ordered to play their next competitive home fixture behind closed doors, as well as display a banner with the wording '#EqualGame' following incidents during the fixture on March 25.

    England players Callum Hudson-Odoi, Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling were subjected to racist chanting during their side's 5-1 victory in Podgorica.

    While Montenegro challenged the outcome of an Ethics and Disciplinary Body hearing on April 26, UEFA upheld the initial punishments, including a €20,000 fine for setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, crowd disturbances and the blocking of stairways.

    Meanwhile, UEFA announced Bosnia-Herzegovina's appeal against a two-game suspension for Miralem Pjanic was partially upheld.

    The Juventus midfielder was shown a straight red card for a challenge in the second half of the 2-2 Group J draw with Greece on March 26.

    However, Pjanic's ban has been halved, meaning he will only miss the trip to Finland on June 8 before returning for the clash with Italy three days later.

     

  • Hales hopes England door not closed, targets T20 World Cup Hales hopes England door not closed, targets T20 World Cup

    Alex Hales has not given up hope of representing England again and wants to feature at next year's Twenty20 World Cup in Australia.

    The 30-year-old was axed from his country's preliminary Cricket World Cup squad last month due to a suspension imposed for what his spokesperson described as an "off-field incident".

    A day after England's 15-man squad for the tournament was confirmed, Hales was selected with the first pick in the 2019 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) draft by the Barbados Tridents.

    Director of England Cricket Ashley Giles stressed the door was not closed for Hales to return to the international set-up and the opening batsman hopes he can use the CPL, and other limited-overs tournaments, to stake his claim for the T20 World Cup in 2020.

    "I hope so, I think it's a good opportunity," he told reporters at the CPL draft.

    "These tournaments now are well respected all around the world, particularly by the selectors at the ECB.

    "I'd love to use these tournaments to hopefully get back into the frame for next year.

    "I hope [the door] is not [closed]. One of my aims is that T20 World Cup.

    "I'm going to go through the process and hopefully score some runs in these tournaments and see how we go."

    England, the ICC's number-one ranked one-day international team, are favourites to win the 50-over World Cup on home soil and, despite his omission from the squad, Hales is rooting for his compatriots.

    "I'm still a fan and I wish the boys all the best," he added.

    "What we've done over the last few years has been unbelievable and the guys deserve to win it and I'll be sat there and cheering."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.