Gayle regrets 'reckless' shot despite whirlwind 162

By February 27, 2019
Windies star Chris Gayle. Windies star Chris Gayle.

Windies batting star Chris Gayle has lamented a ‘reckless’ shot, despite a whirlwind knock of 162 against England in a losing cause at the Grenada National Stadium on Wednesday.

In pursuit of a sizable target of 418, which was anchored by a smashing innings from Englishman Jos Butler, it was Gayle who launched a fierce response of his own. 

The big left-hander fell just short of his record of 16 sixes in an ODI innings, when he slammed 14 over the boundary rope in a battling effort at the crease.  Gayle was dismissed after missing against Ben Stokes.

In the end, it was not enough to stave off a loss for the Windies who fell just 29 runs short of the sizable total but few could argue it was an effort to be proud of.  The 39-year-old became only the second batsman to reach 300 runs, with the performance pushing him to 305, second to only Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi (351).  The total, the 25th century of the batsman’s career was his second highest total in the format.

"I didn't know what was going to happen. Normally when chasing a big total, you give yourself less overs to get in,” Gayle said following the match,

"It was a good wicket and once you get momentum as a batter, you are going to get runs,” he added.

"Wood bowled well. With his pace, he's always going to be somebody to be wary of. After losing two quick wickets, I said we had to build a partnership but the shot I played, in the end, was a bit reckless. If I had batted deeper, who knows what might have happened?"

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • XI Punjab coach Hesson has high hopes for 'new Gayle' Pooran XI Punjab coach Hesson has high hopes for 'new Gayle' Pooran

    Kings XI Punjab coach Mike Hesson has hailed young West Indies batsman Nicholas Pooran as the new Chris Gayle, tipping the player for a big impact ahead of the new IPL season.

    The 23-year-old will play in the IPL for a second season, having been drafted by Islamabad in 2017.  On the bag of several impressive performances this season, the Trinidad and Tobago-born batsman was purchased by XI Punjab at the IPL 2019 auction for a whopping Rs 42 million (Rs 4.2 crore).  The price was a surprise for some, but Hesson is confident it will pay dividends for Punjab, who are looking to recover from a somewhat disappointing 2018 season.

    “I am sure you all are excited about him when you look at the numbers he is putting up around the world at the moment,” Hesson said.

    Pooran has appeared in six T20 Internationals and scored 105 runs at an average of 26.25. With five sixes, he has an impressive strike rate of 156.

    “Obviously, he’s just been introduced to West Indies one-day international squad. He’s been a dynamic performer around the scene with strike-rates nearing the 200s in some competitions. Left-hand bat, I would always call him a young Chris Gayle with that imposing nature. The ability to play spin and hit spin outside the park could play well,” he added.

  • Bayern Munich's Hudson-Odoi interest a boost for England - Ashworth Bayern Munich's Hudson-Odoi interest a boost for England - Ashworth

    Bayern Munich's interest in Callum Hudson-Odoi proves England's future is in good hands, according to former Football Association technical director Dan Ashworth.

    Chelsea youngster Hudson-Odoi is yet to start a Premier League game this season, but was the subject of several big-money offers from Bundesliga champions Bayern in January.

    Hudson-Odoi has impressed when given the chance in domestic cup competitions and the Europa League and that has been enough to earn a first national team call up for England's upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Czech Republic and Montenegro, while Jadon Sancho – who has starred at Borussia Dortmund this term – is also in Gareth Southgate's squad.

    And Ashworth, who left his role at the FA to join Premier League side Brighton and Hove Albion, believes foreign interest in England's youth players bodes well for the future.

    "The standard of young player coming through now, compared to when I started in youth development 20-something years ago, is chalk and cheese," Ashworth told the Telegraph. 

    "There's a massive difference. If our players are playing at the top end, the top leagues, for top clubs such as Dortmund, it means other nations are looking at our players and recognising the talent that is in the system [and] they are getting big-match experiences, and big games. 

    "These are some big-hitters like Bayern after some young English talent and that can only be good for the English game. It means we are producing players and people that others find attractive."

    Joining Hudson-Odoi for his first international call up is West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, who has been drafted into Southgate's squad after switching allegiance to England from the Republic of Ireland, who he played for at youth level as well as making three friendly appearances for the first team.

    And though acknowledging that England cannot expect talented players of dual nationality to represent them, Ashworth insists the FA should have no concerns in attempting to recruit players also eligible for other countries.

    "A lot of people have a lot of different ties, emotions," Ashworth said. "We have 75 under-15s on our radar, our 'long list', and 55 have dual or more nationality.

    "That gives us a bigger and better pool of players to pick from, but it also brings words of warning to governing bodies and national associations, don't assume they are locked into your particular nation because, like in club land, there might be more suitors looking.

    "You look at other sports and countries, and you want to recruit from the biggest pool you possibly can. Every other nation is using those rules to expand their pool of players. Why isn't England?"

  • Ward-Prowse called up by England as Delph, Stones and Loftus-Cheek withdraw Ward-Prowse called up by England as Delph, Stones and Loftus-Cheek withdraw

    James Ward-Prowse has been called into England’s squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against Czech Republic and Montenegro.

    England boss Gareth Southgate is a long-time admirer of the Southampton midfielder, who has hit a rich vein of form under Ralph Hasenhuttl at St Mary's.

    Set-piece specialist Ward-Prowse has scored six goals in his previous nine Premier League games, including finding the net in each of Saints' last three outings – a run concluded by a stunning free-kick winner against Tottenham.

    The 24-year-old, who won his only previous senior cap against Germany in 2017, will join up with Southgate's squad on Monday following a trio of withdrawals.

    Midfield duo Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Fabian Delph are out, while Delph's Manchester City team-mate John Stones remains sidelined by a groin injury.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.