Windies lose Paul to thigh strain in fourth over

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

West Indies were dealt a blow in the opening session on day three of the third Test against England, as Keemo Paul was taken off on a stretcher with a thigh injury in St Lucia.

All-rounder Paul, who replaced suspended captain Jason Holder in the team, was chasing Joe Denly's cover drive in the fourth over of the day when he pulled up in pain.

The 20-year-old received attention behind the ropes before being carried around the boundary on a gurney.

A Windies statement read: "Keemo Paul has suffered a right quadricep strain and is unlikely to return to field before tea."

The Windies started the day trailing by 142 runs and Paul got them off to a brilliant start by removing Rory Burns with the opening delivery.

 

Related items

  • BCCI urges cricket community to 'sever ties' with terrorism-emanating countries BCCI urges cricket community to 'sever ties' with terrorism-emanating countries

    The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has urged the cricket community to "sever ties" with "countries from which terrorism emanates" amid reports it could propose Pakistan be banned from the Cricket World Cup.

    A Pakistan-based militant group claimed responsibility for a terror attack in India-administered Kashmir last week, which claimed the lives of 44 Indian security personnel.

    India and Pakistan are due to meet in the World Cup at Old Trafford on June 16 and the BCCI has expressed concerns over safety at the tournament.

    The governing body said in a statement: "The BCCI wishes to address concerns and sentiments that have emerged after the recent dastardly terrorist attack which was carried out on Indian soil by a terror outfit based out of Pakistan which resulted in the death of 44 Indian security personnel.

    "In view of the aforesaid terrorist attack, BCCI fears for the safety and security of players and match officials participating in upcoming ICC events including the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

    "Most countries from which the members of the ICC hail (including the United Kingdom) have strongly condemned this terrorist attack and expressed solidarity with India. BCCI urges the cricketing community to sever ties with countries from which terrorism emanates."

    Omnisport has contacted the ICC and Pakistan Cricket Board for a response.

    There has also been talk of whether India might boycott the match against their great rivals in Manchester and the legendary Sachin Tendulkar says he will back whatever stance is taken.

    The India great tweeted: "India has always come up trumps against Pakistan in the World Cup. Time to beat them once again. Would personally hate to give them two points and help them in the tournament.

    "Having said that, for me India always comes first, so whatever my country decides, I will back that decision with all my heart."

  • Gatland: Time-bomb Sinckler could go off in Cardiff Gatland: Time-bomb Sinckler could go off in Cardiff

    Wales head coach Warren Gatland thinks the enormity of a crucial Six Nations clash in Cardiff on Saturday could be challenging for the temperament of England's "time-bomb" Kyle Sinckler.

    Prop Sinckler had an altercation with Peter O'Mahony in the win over Ireland and was reminded to adhere to "rugby values" by referee Nigel Owens following a clash with France's Arthur Iturria at Twickenham.

    Gatland, who selected Sinckler for the British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand in 2017, would not be surprised to see Sinckler sailing close to the wind again in the heat of the battle at the Principality Stadium.

    "There is a challenge sometimes with his temperament. He's aware of it. Other players are aware of it. We've already seen in the Six Nations that he has been involved in a couple of incidents," said the New Zealander.

    "Hopefully, we don't get dragged into that on Saturday. Emotionally, he can be a bit of a time-bomb. I am not saying anything that people aren't aware of.

    "Look, we won't be going out there trying to antagonise him, because that's not in our make-up. We will just go out there and play.

    "Hopefully, he goes out and has a good game and is able to keep his emotions in control, because that's a big challenge for him."

  • Jones won't dissuade Tuilagi from joining Racing Jones won't dissuade Tuilagi from joining Racing

    Eddie Jones will not try and dissuade Manu Tuilagi from turning his back on England by making a lucrative move to Racing 92.

    Tuilagi has reportedly held talks over a move to Paris when his Leicester Tigers contract expires at the end of the season.

    The 27-year-old has forced his way into the England starting line-up after putting his injury woes behind him to make a long-awaited comeback last year, but a switch to the Top 14 would effectively make him unavailable for Test rugby.

    England head coach Jones says only Tuilagi can decide what his future holds.

    "We just have fun about it. [We] give him baguettes, croissants, wear berets. Good fun." the Australian said ahead of England's crunch Six Nations clash with Wales on Saturday.

    "As long as he doesn't get on the Eurostar between now and Saturday I've got no comment on it because all I'm worried about is Saturday.

    "I don't decide what he does for his family. Every player has a family situation they have got to look after and I want them to look after their families.

    "He is in our family at the moment and we want him to play well for us - that is our only concern right now. He's got to make a decision and what decision he makes will be up to him. He's a massively important part of our team. The guys like playing with him, they love him.

    "He loves playing with the team and that is his only concern at the moment."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.