Bravo laments international cricket career ‘cut short’

By Sports Desk January 10, 2019
Dwayne Bravo Dwayne Bravo

Retired Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has lamented a lack of opportunity to make a bigger impression at the international level.

The 35-year-old called time on his international career last year, following a 12-year stint with the regional team.  At the time of his retirement, the Trinidadian native had, however, not played Test cricket since 2010 or an ODI game since 2014.  In T20 international’s Bravo had fared a bit better playing his last match against Pakistan in 2016.

During his playing days, Bravo was among a group of senior players that often found themselves at odds with the regional governing body (then WICB) and infamously captained the team that abandoned the tour of India in 2014 over a wage dispute.

The player, however, continued to play T20 League cricket going on to be considered as one of the best all-rounders in the world.

“I could have achieved a lot in international cricket, but it was cut short.  I am happy that I was able to represent West Indies at the international level.   Not too many people get the opportunity to represent their country,” Bravo said.

 “I am fortunate enough to have been a part of the West Indies set-up for more than 12 years.  I enjoyed every moment of it.  I haven’t achieved much (at international level), having not got too many opportunities.  Such is life.  There are some things you don’t have control over.  But my career went on and my brand developed even bigger without playing international cricket because I was able to play around the world and fans welcomed me.”

Related items

  • Sir Viv backs Walsh Jr to be more successful than Badree Sir Viv backs Walsh Jr to be more successful than Badree

    Former West Indies captain and legendary batsman, Sir Vivian Richards, believes Hayden Walsh Jr, can reap more success than did the world’s foremost T20 bowler at one time,Samuel Badree.

    Badree, once known as the number-one leg spinner in T20 cricket, came into the West Indies line-up in similar fashion to Walsh Jr.

    Walsh claimed 22 wickets in the recently concluded Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL), to lead all wickettakers and earn a debut callup to the West Indies.

    Sir Viv, just like Walsh Jr is from Antigua and believes the achievement, especially coming from one of the smaller islands, is remarkable, saying he wished the Leeward Islands had picked him more often.

    “I think at that particular point, that particular achievement of him getting the most wickets as a spinner and to be coming from these parts, I am wondering what would have happened earlier for him not to have been utilized by the Leewards a little bit more,” Sir Viv pondered.

    Walsh Jr’s limited selection in the Leeward Islands side is something Sir Viv believes begs bigger questions about the way the team is selected and their ability to spot talent.

    “And so, all these questions need to be asked but I think that certainly, he has thrown his hands in the ring for the next T20 World Cup. I personally believe that he has done well enough to be considered and to be part of that particular unit,” Sir Viv had said before Walsh Jr’s selection to te West Indies’ white ball squads.

    Making the comparison to Badree, Sir Viv said:

    “And especially with this last performance in terms of being on the winning team with the most wickets, this is how I think Samuel Badree came into contention for the West Indies … I think he came in and he had some success … I don’t think he was as successful as what Hayden Walsh would have [been].”

    According to Sir Viv, Walsh Jr can offer more to the West Indies than did Badree because he has other attributes.

    To be fair as well, too, he brings so much as well, especially as a spinner; his athleticism in the field. Everything is so brilliant about him, you need some sort of an individual like that for those sort of tournaments,” he said.

    Few would have heard of the 27-year-old Antiguan-American before the start of this season but it's safe to say his whirlwind leg break bowling took the competition by storm.  His 22 wickets in 9 matches representing a tournament-high that earned him the Hero Player of the Tournament award.

    Twice this season the spinner proved completely unplayable for the opposition, claiming five wickets against the Trinbago Knight Riders and four against the St Lucia Zouks to help catapult the then-struggling team into the playoffs. 

    Eventually, it set the stage for one of the biggest upsets in the competition's history with a win over the previously unbeaten Guyana Amazon Warriors in the final.  

    Perhaps even fewer would remember the bowler’s forgettable CPL debut season for St Kitts and Nevis Patriots in 2018 where his two overs in just two matches went for a costly 54, with no wickets to show. 

    For Walsh, the gentle placing of the CPL crown on a head once plagued with uneasiness, surely once again proved the old adage, the price of success is hard work.

  • Bulgaria boss Balakov quits as fallout from England clash continues Bulgaria boss Balakov quits as fallout from England clash continues

    Krasimir Balakov has resigned as head coach of Bulgaria four days on from the 6-0 Euro 2020 qualifying loss to England that was marred by racist abuse.

    The Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) confirmed Balakov's departure following a meeting of its executive committee on Friday.

    In a statement, the BFU attributed the 53-year-old's resignation to substandard performances.

    Bulgaria succumbed to a heavy defeat against the Three Lions in Sofia but not before their supporters subjected England players to racist chants, which forced the match to twice be halted in the first half.

    "The performance of Bulgaria's men's national team in recent months has been described as unsatisfactory, which is why the national coach Krasimir Balakov resigned, which was accepted by the members of the [executive committee]," the BFU's statement read.

    Balakov initially said he did not hear the abuse directed at England's players at Vasil Levski National Stadium but later apologised to Gareth Southgate's squad and condemned the behaviour of the fans responsible.

    "I would like to say very clearly: since there were cases of racial discrimination in Sofia, I would like to sincerely apologise to the English footballers and to all those who felt offended," Balakov wrote in a letter posted to his official Facebook page.

    Balakov's decision to quit after five months in charge follows that of BFU president Borislav Mihaylov, who was urged to stand down by Bulgarian prime minister Boyko Borissov.

    The organisation's former vice-president Mikhail Kasabov has been temporarily installed as Mihaylov's replacement after two others rejected the opportunity, with an extraordinary congress to elect a new board on the agenda.

    The BFU is facing disciplinary proceedings from UEFA in response to the ugly scenes at Monday's match, during which several supporters appeared to perform Nazi salutes.

  • I'll send someone else to the toss! – Du Plessis desperate to change South Africa's fortunes I'll send someone else to the toss! – Du Plessis desperate to change South Africa's fortunes

    South Africa captain Faf du Plessis joked he is considering sending another player to the toss for the third Test against India as he aims to correct his side's recent woes.

    The Proteas are 2-0 down in the series after suffering heavy defeats in Visakhapatnam and Pune.

    With the three-match series already lost, South Africa head to Ranchi looking to restore some pride as a frustrating 2019 draws closer towards a conclusion.

    Du Plessis cited winning the toss as a crucial factor but, with South Africa having lost their last nine coin-flips on Asian soil going back to 2015, failing to win any of the subsequent Tests – the Proteas' skipper conceded he might have to send out a substitute in order to change their luck.

    "We've felt that we've done it [compete] in stages, more probably in the first Test, so hoping that we can start with the toss tomorrow," Du Plessis told reporters.

    "Probably I will [send] somebody else to the toss, I'll give you that, because my record so far hasn't been great, and then, yeah, if we put big runs on the board in the first innings, that's where we need to start."

    Du Plessis also acknowledged his side – who lost the first Test by 203 runs and the second by an innings – can only regain confidence by taking the fight to India.

    "It is tough when you're losing," he said.

    "For us, we're very, very competitive people, so it does take a dent out of your confidence, but international sport is supposed to be hard, and the guys who've stayed at the top for a long time will tell you that it comes with ups and it comes with downs, personally and from a team point of view.

    "So it's important for us to understand that we have to fight our way out of these last two losses. We can't expect things just to happen."

    South Africa's task has been made harder by the absence of batsman Aiden Markram, who will miss the final Test due to a wrist injury he sustained while "lashing out at a solid object" following his second-innings dismissal in Pune.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.