CPL

Tridents look to put poor season behind them with Alex Hales, good draft business

By May 23, 2019
Alex Hales Alex Hales

After failing to make the playoffs of the 2018 Hero Caribbean Premier League, the Barbados Tridents have made some of the most notable drafts in the 2019 edition of the competition.

The Tridents, after being forced to take on new ownership just over a week ago, have already gone about the business of turning their fortunes around with the employ of England’s big-hitting opener, Alex Hales during the CPL’s draft on Wednesday, which took place at the Gfinity eSports Arena in London.

The Tridents wasted little time in using the very first pick of the draft to snare the big-hitting England batsman, who, speaking later during the draft, said he was thrilled to be heading back to an island he described as one of his favourite places to play cricket for what will be his first taste of the biggest party in sport.

Hales also wants to get back into the England set up, and hopes playing in tournaments like the CPL will do that.

“I think it's a good opportunity. These tournaments now are well-respected all around the world, particularly by the selectors and ECB. So yeah I'd love to use these tournaments to hopefully get back into the frame for next year,” said Hales.

In addition, the Tridents, who just days ago, announced West Indies captain Jason Holder as their marquee player, have also picked up Wahab Riaz, Asif Ali and Sandeep Lamichane.

Those three will combine with locals in Johnson Charles, Shai Hope, Ashley Nurse, Jonathan Carter, Chemar Holder, Roshon Primus, Raymon Reifer, Joshua Bishop, Justin Greaves, and Hayden Walsh.

From overseas, the Tridents will also employ the use of Leniko Boucher, Imad Wasim in the line-up.

The Hero Caribbean Premier League begins on September 4 and continues through to October 12.

The Trinbago Knight Riders are the defending champions and are expected to be hunting for a historic three-peat this season, having won in 2015, 2017 and 2018.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Gus Logie appointed interim head coach for West Indies Women's team Gus Logie appointed interim head coach for West Indies Women's team

    Former West Indies batsman Gus Logie has been named the Interim Head Coach of the West Indies Women’s Team. Cricket West Indies has also appointed a new team manager.

  • Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists focus to be on youngsters Gayle not 'available' for Afghanistan series but chief selector Harper insists focus to be on youngsters

    Newly appointed Windies chairman of selectors Roger Harper confirmed veteran batsman Chris Gayle was unavailable for the upcoming series against Afghanistan but suggested the panel would focus on younger talent going forward.

    Speculation has continued to surround the future of the star batsman after he announced plans to retire, following the ICC World Cup earlier this year.  The 40-year-old, however, appeared to have a change of heart and went on to claim that the team's series again India, following the cricketing showpiece, would instead be his final. 

    Controversy, however, erupted with many suggesting the batsman should hang up his tips and allow for the development of younger players.  Following the series against India, Gayle was again quick to insist that he was in no hurry to retire.  With young openers like Evin Lewis and Brandon King included in the squad, Harper suggested it was time to give younger players an opportunity to showcase their skills.

    “Gayle told us he is unavailable for Afghanistan Series, but we all know Chris, he is a world-class player with a tremendous record and of course it’s difficult to replace Chris Gayle,” Harper explained.

    "But I think going forward it is in a way an opportunity for young players to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves as we look ahead to the next two T20 World Cups in 2020 and 2021 and the future.”

  • Overlooked Lyon not giving up on T20 World Cup hopes Overlooked Lyon not giving up on T20 World Cup hopes

    Nathan Lyon is refusing to give up hope on featuring for Australia at their home ICC Men's T20 World Cup despite missing out on selection against Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

    The spinner has only made two T20I appearances for his country – the last of those coming a year ago – and is not included for his country's upcoming series in 20-over cricket.

    But Lyon, Australia's third-highest wicket-taker in Tests, still wants to play in all three formats and will continue to make himself available.

    "Definitely I want to put my hand up for all games of cricket, especially for Australia," he said.

    "Whatever game I play cricket for, I just need to make sure I'm doing my job and if I keep putting my hand up for selection, who knows where that may lead to?"

    Lyon, who was facing a similar battle prior to the 50-over World Cup before entering as Australia's front-line spinner, insists there is no issue with chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns.

    "He just called me and told me I wasn't in," he added.

    "But I had a really good chat to Cracker [Hohns] – I get along really well with him – so if I have any issues with Cracker, I'll just pick up the phone.

    "There's no doubt. I have the absolute utmost respect for him so there's no dramas there."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.